News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Neil_Crafter

Mackenzie's Eden and Redan on the Jockey Club's Red Course
« on: December 01, 2012, 11:50:36 PM »
Timely - or ironic, depending upon your viewpoint - this week to discover that Dr Mackenzie designed an Eden on the Jockey Club's Colorado (Red) course. This is hole 12, while Hole 17 is a Redan. This information has come to light - courtesy of our friend Pedro Cossio - in the Annual Report of the Jockey Club for the 1929-30 year, dated 25th April 1930. At this time Mackenzie had only recently departed Buenos Aires.

In addition, the 15th Red was apparently based on the 16th at the Old Course, while at other holes "the player will also find great similarity to the greens at Road Hole at St Andrews, holes at Moortown, Musselburgh, Prince's and Pebble Beach."  The Moortown hole would almost certainly have been another version of 'Gibraltar'.

Of further interest:

> Mackenzie designed the club "an 18 hole putting green and a miniature 18 hole course to be played with mashie, mashie-niblick and putter". These were to be located around the clubhouse, although it would seem they were never built.

> Mackenzie also prepared a detailed landscape plan for the 2 courses, with location and type of trees and bushes to be planted. To my knowledge this is the first mention of Mac preparing such a landscape plan.

Additionally Pedro has located a number of photos of Mackenzie at the Jockey Club in April 1930 posing with various club officials and one includes Luther Koontz. These are the only known images of Mackenzie in South America, so we were excited to see these.

An aerial of the courses ca1935 was  published in the El Golfer Argentino magazine and David Edel kindly sent along a copy. I've extracted the plans for the Eden and Redan holes but cannot post them at the minute as I am having some trouble with uploading photos to new beta version of Photobucket. I will do so as soon as I am able.

Sean_Tully

Re: Mackenzie's Eden and Redan on the Jockey Club's Red Course
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2012, 12:17:53 AM »
Neil-

Certainly has been fun getting the recent emails from Mr. Cossio! Look forward to seeing that aerial! I too have been having issues with the new version of Photobucket. My pics show up on the home screen but not anywhere else, frustrating. Are we missing something?

Tully

Neil_Crafter

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2012, 02:51:30 AM »
Redan hole 17 Red course

Eden hole 12 Red course

Mackenzie with Jockey Club officials April 1930

Mackenzie with officials and Luther Koontz at far right

Neil_Crafter

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2012, 02:57:35 AM »
Sean, did I not send you that aerial?

They are improving Photobucket by making it worse. It didn't like Safari at all so I went to Firefox. I could at least upload the photos, but it put some of the them in the middle of the album rather than at the start so I thought they weren't uploaded. Very strange.

Sean_Tully

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2012, 03:56:38 AM »
Agreed on photobucket, will have to see if that was where my downloads were coming up.

I did get the aerial, but had accidentally moved it to another folder.

Good now, thanks.

Look forward to any additional information that Dr. Cossio can provide. He certainly is on a roll.

Sean

Bill_McBride

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2012, 10:08:25 PM »
Guys, can an Eden really work if there is no right half of the double green (the 7th hole half)?

Neil_Crafter

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2012, 04:14:37 AM »
Bill, there is only one Eden with another green attached to it and that's the original. I believe all the copies have managed without the 7th green bit. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong. I don't think it is really needed if you are making an Eden version and not an exact replica.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back