News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Frank M

For Canadians, "The National" is pretty much the holy grail of golf. Consistently recognized as the number 1 course in the nation and elusive to many, its name is synonymous with Augusta or Cypress in our northern nation.

Not much can be said about the golf course that hasn't already been said. It is the epitome of North American golf on some great terrain and a perfect example of the penal school of design. There are some world-class holes and the greens, as a set, are really quite amazing and possibly the best in Canada. Conditions are always great and the course is relentless in testing ones game.

Hole 1: Par 4 419 yards

Hole 2: Par 4 447 yards

Hole 3: Par 4 424 yards

Hole 4: Par 5 600 yards

Hole 5: Par 3 205 yards

Hole 6: Par 5 531 yards

Hole 7: Par 4 460 yards

Hole 8: Par 3 190 yards

Hole 9: Par 4 436 yards

Hole 10: Par 3 200 yards

Hole 11: Par 4 406 yards

Hole 12: Par 5 503 yards

Hole 13: Par 4 421 yards

Hole 14: Par 4 461 yards

JHole 15: Par 3 221 yards

Hole 16: Par 4 393 yards

Hole 17: Par 4 458 yards

Hole 18: Par 4 460 yards

« Last Edit: July 04, 2024, 05:13:26 PM by Frank M »

Sean Leary

Re: Pictorial: The National Golf Club of Canada (G&T Fazio) - All 18 up
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2012, 08:08:47 PM »
Thanks.

Always wanted to see pics of National.

Looks very tough..

Gary Slatter

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2012, 08:21:07 PM »
thanks Frank, a wonderful modern test.   I was fortunate to able to play it whenever I felt my game was off - playing the National always brought back my golf juices. 

Sean: it looks tough but is very rewarding if you strike the ball right.. Never met a 12 or under handicapper who didn't enjoy the challenge.  If one could be a member at St Georges and the National you'd never play elsewhere from May through October.  Mid Ocean for the rest of the year.
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Frank M

Re: Pictorial: The National Golf Club of Canada (G&T Fazio) - All 18 up New
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2012, 08:32:24 PM »
Thanks for the comments everyone.

Gary: It is in fact rewarding if you hit good shots, but it's not nearly as rewarding as it is punishing for bad shots.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2024, 05:13:44 PM by Frank M »

Gary Slatter

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2012, 08:43:06 PM »
Frank, it does punish the bad shot, so match play is popular there.  A course that has the best set of par 3s, the best par 4s and the best par 5s is pretty good.   

Originally I remember Al Balding saying the plan was to make it affordable enough so all 8 and under handicappers from other clubs could join the National to become better, and to play their social rounds at their other courses.
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Frank M

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2012, 08:47:08 PM »
Gary: I think the problem is that I don't necessarily agree with your premise that it has the best set of par 3s, 4s, and 5s.  :D

Matt Kardash

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2012, 09:09:25 PM »
Best set of 3s, 4s and 5s in Canada? Wow, that is a bold statement. I think if that were true it would make the National a top 20 course in the world. So you either have a an extremely high opinion of the National or a very low opinion of the the rest of Canada's elite level courses.
the interviewer asked beck how he felt "being the bob dylan of the 90's" and beck quitely responded "i actually feel more like the bon jovi of the 60's"

Keith Phillips

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2012, 09:19:59 PM »
Was a member for several years 10+ years ago.  I loved the whole place, from the practice area to golf course, to the 'pasta dinner' - I am a mid-handicapper and can't explain it but I guess the course always fit my eye - I played well at 'The National' and my handicap index has never been that low again!  My take on some of the holes (10 years out of date):

1 - a terrific opener...from the photos it appears that a blocked drive down the right now has a fairer chance of recovery?
3 - I really liked this par 4 - a strong drive opens up a nice approach to a difficult, downhill, dogleg right green
4 - one of the more challenging holes I've played anywhere - needs a good drive and strong second to offer a solid approach into the elevated green
5 - I actually think the par 3s are the weak point of the course - I may be wrong, but they all seem to play in the same direction, and 5 and 8 just 'feel too similar' to one another - 10 and 15 are obviously distinctive, but again, I think the course would be stronger if the par 3s played in different directions
7 - one of the great par 4s anywhere!
11 - this hole grew on me - I initially thought it non-descript, but the more often I played it the harder it seemed to get!
12 - I have mixed feelings about this hole - many laud it as the greatest/toughest hole on the property, others think it is unfair...on balance I like the hole but wouldn't oversell it - the green is challenging but wouldn't stand out in the NYC area
16 - not sure what it is about this hole but I always enjoyed it
17 - a very demanding driving hole, with OB left and water right
18 - played as a par 5 when I was a member, and now (I believe) a very challenging par 4

The National is a great track - I'm not sure it is any better/worse than similar-vintage courses in the US, but it stands out in a market with great old classics and few modern masterpieces.  Likely the best-conditioned course in Canada, and a wonderful challenge - 'not my favorite, but a course that I respect very much'

Frank M

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2012, 09:30:59 PM »
Keith: I think generally you're spot on.

The par 3s in my mind are a bit of a weakness...repetitive in strategy. The two pairs (front and back) play in the same direction. They also play to about the same distance all considered (maybe 10 is a bit shorter).

I actually think the par 5s are also a bit of a weakness and the only reason they are memorable is for how tough they are. 4 is just ridiculously hard. 6 is a bit of a reprieve (only a bit), but is fairly boring with the saving grace being a pretty good green. 12 is tight, tough, and has what I would call the worst green on the course.

I think the par 4s make the course, and although the rest is in no way bad, I don't find them great. But, if a courses greatness is measured by its weakest attribute, it is hard to say National is not a great modern course.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2024, 05:14:38 PM by Frank M »

Matt Bosela

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2012, 10:02:03 PM »
For Canadians, "The National" is pretty much the holy grail of golf. Consistently recognized as the number 1 course in the nation and elusive to many, its name is synonymous with Augusta or Cypress in our northern nation.

Frank,

Once again, I loved the tour and as a fellow Canadian, I always appreciate it when our country's courses are shown off on this site.

That said, I think your first paragraph, quoted above, is a bit much.  The National is a course to be respected but "holy grail of golf for Canadians" or "synonymous with Augusta or Cypress in our northern nation" is hyperbole at best.

Frank M

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2012, 10:16:48 PM »
Matt: Hyperbole? Just my opinion really.

The National is consistently rated the best in our country for the last 20 years, and in my experience, it is one of the very few courses Canadians across the nation really know of in Canada outside of their local private/elite courses. In fact, I would say the majority of people place The National in the realm of the other mentioned courses more than they do not.

It may be "hyperbole" when it comes to the GCA crowd, but for the average golfer or even certified professionals in Canada, I believe it to be spot on. They will consistently list The National with the likes of Augusta, Cypress, Pebble etc. because of its status and relative difficulty to get on.

If you want to debate that there is no "holy grail" of golf in Canada go ahead, that may be true when compared on a world scale (even though I disagree and my picks are Highlands Links and St. Georges), but IMO and in my experience, The National is that for very many golfers in Canada.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2024, 05:16:11 PM by Frank M »

Keith Phillips

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2012, 10:32:10 PM »
'The National' is a great place, but they should replace their immodest bag tag slogan - 'I was there' (or some such words) is really over the top...the course is great and a little bit of modesty would be more becoming.

Jordan Wall

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2012, 10:56:21 PM »
Thanks for the photos, what a cool looking golf course.

I can't help but note similarities to Augusta (merely from observation, mind you.)

The sixteenth hole seems somewhat reminiscent of Augusta's 4th.
The twelfth has striking similarities to the thirteenth, with the creek along the left of the fairway and short of the green, plus it being a short par-5.
The eighteenth is a long, uphill par-4 finisher.

Honestly after looking again at the photos I can't recall any other holes that seem to echo Augusta but in my first look at the photo tour that was the first thing that came to my head.

Thanks again for taking the time to post such a wonderful photo tour.

Carl Nichols

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2012, 11:56:07 PM »
Thanks for the great tour.  Going just off the pictures from tours that currently sit on the front page of the discussion group, Sleepy Hollow looks much more interesting, unique and dramatic than the National -- which looks solid but standard. Kinda surprised it's #1 in Canada.

Ian Andrew

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2012, 08:02:22 AM »

Frank,

Holy Grail? Cypress or Augusta?
Hardly ... it's the top ranked course in the country - that's it.

It's been ranked number one because its hard and in outstanding condition.
The pros and golf professionals all vote for it every year and make up a large portion of the score panel.
It's where you go to figure out your not that good a player.

BTW You can arrange an unaccompanied guest fee, so its not exclusive either, just expensive
With every golf development bubble, the end was unexpected and brutal....

Frank M

« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2012, 09:46:10 AM »
Ian: I'm not suggesting it is as good as Augusta or Cypress, just that its name and reputation in Canada is.

In this thread, remembering it is GCA, there is someone comparing it to Augusta and in my experience that is widely the case. Talk to anyone who plays in Canada and doesn't know much about golf courses and I would bet they know National, not so much any other course. This applies even more to non-golfers. As you say the pros and Professionals vote for it and that is who the non-gcaer is influenced by most.

Unaccompanied guest fees still require you to know someone. The amount of people who have played National at my club is minute compared to most other courses in the area. Being expensive is also a means of reaching exclusivity.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2024, 05:17:28 PM by Frank M »

Will MacEwen

« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2012, 10:03:46 AM »
In this thread, remembering it is GCA, there is someone comparing it to Augusta and in my experience that is widely the case. Talk to anyone who golfs in Canada and doesn't know much about golf courses and I would bet they know National....not so much any other courses. As you say the pros and Professionals vote for it and that is who the non-gcaer is influenced by most.

I think people know Banff, Royal Montreal and Glen Abbey much more than they do the National.  I say this as someone who has lived in Ontario, Quebec, and B.C.

Main point: - that is a solid tour Frank.  I can see how it has it's reputation as a players' course.  I wouldn't want ot be leaky on the day I showed up.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 10:07:32 AM by Will MacEwen »

Greg McMullin

« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2012, 10:12:34 AM »
Never played here but the par 3's look very difficult.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2012, 12:20:45 PM »
Cypress Point bunkers with Willow trees.  Finally, a reason to get a Passport!!!

Gary Slatter

« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2012, 05:11:08 PM »
Best set of 3s, 4s and 5s in Canada? Wow, that is a bold statement. I think if that were true it would make the National a top 20 course in the world. So you either have a an extremely high opinion of the National or a very low opinion of the the rest of Canada's elite level courses.

I would agree that the National is a top 20 modern course IN THE WORLD.   When I see Kingsbarns at 17th it's enough proof for me.  I have played ALL of Canada's elite level courses and do feel the National is the best -  very few have the ability to test the worlds best players, and also be enjoyed by it's membership.  The National can host the Canadian Open without growing it's rough, or speeding up the greens.  The world has many great courses, the National is as good as any built since it opened it's gates (1974?), IMHO anyway.

I'm not so sure Canadians know the National though, here in Calgary they don't.   Tom Watson and Lee Trevino and Cory Pavin know it. 
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

David Davis

« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2012, 05:33:26 PM »
Frank,

Great tour! Thanks for taking the time to post. Really nice job with the photos, I could learn something from you.

Course looks like a really nice championship course and I'm sure a place where members are proud to belong. Not a blade out of place. It does kind of remind me of other championship quality courses in many ways, in terms of championship set up, courses like Bro Hof Slot in Sweden, PGA de Catalunya in Spain or perhaps something like Celtic Manor or even Glen Eagles. Top caliber courses but no way top 50 in the world in my opinion. That's also by no means an insult, never, no way. What are there 45,000 golf courses in the world?

Gary, with all due respect, and I appreciate you said in your honest opinion as well, but it would be tough to say it's as good as anything built since 74' knowing the likes of Bandon Dunes Resort (namely Pacific Dunes), Cape Kidnappers or Sand Hills and there are others that not only in my opinion but in that of many others far more knowledgeable than me just simply hard to beat or be as good as...
Sharing the greatest experiences in golf.

IG: @top100golftraveler
www.lockharttravelclub.com

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2012, 07:29:42 PM »
Great photos Frank!  The Autumn is a great time to take photos of the course.  I am lucky enough to play the course 1-2 times per year but I don't know that I would want to play it every week as it is just too difficult and not that much fun if your game isn't on (I play to about a 9.0 index).  But there is no doubting that it is one of the top courses in the country and is always in great shape.

The National is consistently rated the best in our country for the last 20 years and in my experience, it is one of the very few courses Canadians across the nation really know of in Canada outside of their local private/elite courses. In fact, I would say, through experience, that easily, the majority of people place The National in the realm of the other mentioned courses more than they do not.
I would disagree with this as I think that it doesn't get as much visibility as courses like Glen Abbey, Hamilton and St. Georges that have recently hosted the Canadian Open or even resort courses like Banff, Jasper and Highlands Links.  I would say that Cabot Links is also gaining fast given all of the press it has been getting recently.

The National also gets some negative publicity due to its membership policy, especially whenever this issue comes to a head as it did a few months ago when Augusta let in its first female members.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back