News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David_Tepper

J_ Crisham

Re: US Senior Am at Mounain Ridge
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2012, 05:13:48 PM »
Played here last month- what a track! Will be interesting to see hard they set it up. They could have some high scores given the severity of the greens and the strength of the par 4's. Some of the best green complexes and bunkering I've seen.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2012, 05:46:54 PM »
David,

Thanks for posting this thread.

If Mother Nature doesn't spoil things, it should be a great tournament as the course is in fine shape.

Unfortunately, the photo of the clubhouse is from the time before the trees were pruned and some removed.

While the course will play at 6,800+, the back tees are in the 7,100+ range and it's a par 71.
If need be, the course could easily accomodate about 7,600 for the modern day Pro.

The course is a 1929 Ross, not a 1931 Ross and the clubhouse was completed in 1930.

The original course, locate a few miles away, was a Tillinghast course.

The fairways are very generous.
The putting surfaces are very unique, even for Ross.
I remember Brad Klein's surprise and delight as he examined each green.
I especially recall his reaction after spending a few minutes on # 4.
I told him, "if you think this is great, wait unitl you see # 6, 8, 11, 12, 16 and 17.

Ron has done an exceptional job at restoring Ross's work.
For whatever the reason, over the last 81 years, not much was intentionally done to the course other than tree planting.

I think the competitors will enjoy the course as there's nothing gimmickie about it.

Those who attended my GCA.com get together on Sept 17, 2011 can attest to that.

We had Brad Klein, Ron Prichard, Mike Davis and the Superintendent, Cliff Moore speak to the group.

It was an enjoyable and informative day.

Let's hope the weather co-operates

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2012, 05:50:02 PM »

Played here last month- what a track! Will be interesting to see hard they set it up. They could have some high scores given the severity of the greens and the strength of the par 4's. Some of the best green complexes and bunkering I've seen.

Jack,

Thanks.

The course has flown under the radar for nearly a century.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, deliberately.

I held a party for a family member at MRCC in May and more than half the people who live within 4 miles never knew the course existed.
Others had heard of it, but, had never seen it.
All were amazed by the setting, especially the Wendehack clubhouse sitting high up on the ridge overlooking the course and mountains to the west.

It's quite a special place.

Kris Shreiner

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2012, 01:50:39 PM »
Pat,

That was a great day indeed on many fronts! The weather may have intruded slightly, but it certainly didn't dampen what was for me a very memorable day of GCA shared with some fine folks. Thanks again for hosting such a stimulating gathering.

Cheers,
Kris 8)
"I said in a talk at the Dunhill Tournament in St. Andrews a few years back that I thought any of the caddies I'd had that week would probably make a good golf course architect. We all want to ask golfers of all abilities to get more out of their games -caddies do that for a living." T.Doak

Mark McKeever

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2012, 06:55:54 PM »
Kris,

The weather may not have been perfect, but the course was great despite the rain and a great time was had by all!

Thanks again Pat!  When are you doing it again??

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2012, 07:06:02 PM »
Mark,

Unfortunately, the weather forecast is rather bleak for the next six days.

Mark McKeever

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2012, 08:30:44 PM »
Pat,

Despite the weather, the green surrounds repelled shots nicely.  I hope the top players see that happen a lot too!

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back