News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Chris Buie

The Original World Golf Hall of Fame
« on: August 30, 2012, 12:41:12 PM »
It was the 1974 induction ceremony for the grand opening of the Hall of Fame - which was behind the 4th green of No. 2 Course. This was Ford's first notable appearance after Watergate - a month after taking office. The handlers told him that it was not a politically astute move having golf be his first appearance after pardoning Nixon. He told them he was definitely going. When they asked him why he said "I want to meet Ben Hogan".

Having the president there was slightly interesting but the important part of the day is that I got the chance to have my photo taken with Hogan, Snead, Sarazen, Nicklaus, Player and Palmer...at the same time...in one photograph. There's a tragic element of the story because I'm largely obscured by Jack Nicklaus in the photo. Being my one and only chance to be photographed with these guys makes Jack's faux pas rather unforgivable. I've tried to extract an apology from Mr. Nicklaus for years but it's apparent he does not consider it a matter worthy of such. So, that will just have to be one of those unfortunate episodes we'll just have to live with and carry on.
What makes it even more painful for me is that my brother is clearly shown in the photo with these titans. He has a haughty attitude toward the matter which I don't appreciate and finds it amusing that for all my interest in antiquity he was the one who ended up with a photo that could be boasted about. Well, it's probably just as well that you can only see part of my striped shirt behind the inconsiderate Mr. Nicklaus. If I had been clearly displayed there is no doubt I would have tormented what few friends I have with innumerable recounts of the day.
The blonde haired kid bottom left in the Carolina Basketball School shirt would be my brother.

Peter Pallotta

Re: The Original World Golf Hall of Fame
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2012, 01:07:58 PM »
Thanks, Chris - and very nicely done.  If it makes you feel any better, I for one believe you when you claim to be the pair of yellow shorts and striped shirt standing behind Mr. Nicklaus!  :)

Thanks much for the photos -- it was good to see those greats in the twilight time, still looking like they could break par just about anywhere.

Peter

Jim Eder

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2012, 01:33:30 PM »
Those are some awesomely special pics.  Thanks for sharing. Very cool you were there!!

Jeff Loh

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2012, 05:25:49 PM »
Chris
Great story!
I want a pair of Byron's shoes........

Sam Morrow

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2012, 11:22:16 PM »
It's funny, Snead looks younger than Palmer, those pictures are awesome!

David Kelly

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2012, 11:59:22 PM »
Nowadays protesters would never be allowed to get that close to a President.
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2012, 12:04:35 AM »
Nowadays protesters would never be allowed to get that close to a President.

He's just The President, Ben Hogan was there.

Colin Macqueen

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2012, 03:04:04 AM »
David,

"Nowadays protesters would never be allowed to get that close to a President."

Are you suggesting that the young upstart Chris Buie was whinging, complaining and protesting even then, during the ceremony!!

Yeah how times have changed in forty years.

Magic story and photos Chris. Thanks.

Cheers Colin
"Golf, thou art a gentle sprite, I owe thee much"
The Hielander

mike_beene

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2012, 01:19:03 AM »
A man who used to be on our board gave me the autographed print that was evidently given to each attendee and depicted each of the inductees.He told me Hogan was overwhelmed by Ford's presence and had to pause in his speech.

Chris Buie

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2012, 08:25:01 AM »
I want a pair of Byron's shoes........ - Jeff Loh
Jeff, Pat Mucci has several pairs very much like that. I'm sure he would accommodate you.

That series of photographs is fascinating to me for several different reasons. Toward the bottom of that list is fashion. It was the 70's alright - and every bit as dubious as those retro films make it out to be. Let's just put it this way, the only time you'd wear a red jacket when seeing the president is if you were on a fox hunt together. I myself was not entirely immune to that ghastly era of polyester because I do clearly remember having a pair of burgundy double knits back then. I actually had an Amana visor as well - which I won in a bet on the golf course. But Peter Pallotta knows damn well I would not wear yellow shorts unless I was the starting guard for the U. of Michigan and they were paying me at least as much as they traditionally pay their top stars. I'm 99% certain the kid in the blue striped shirt behind the red coated gentleman is myself. Peter would know that, he was just having a little fun trying to associate me with the unfortunate yellow outfit.

Those photos are great, are they not? They were done by Hugh Morton who was kind of the states unofficial photographer for years. He was one of the owners of Grandfather Mountain. The ceremony was filmed by a few different services and no doubt exists in a dusty file somewhere. Don't you think it would be a good idea for the Golf Channel to spare us one of the 57 hours of monthly broadcasts of the Big Break by putting on high caliber material like this on just once. There are innumerable hours of absolutely fascinating celluloid in the archives. It's something of a crime they don't broadcast more of that.

Well, it's not too good to leave on a whinging note so here's a very high rez photo I'll put up for you to save if you care to. It's one of my favorite golf photographs:

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back