News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Andy Shulman

Just flew back from Portland on Saturday (following my first ever visit to Bandon) via Southwest Airlines and noticed that the September issue of the airline's Spirit Magazine includes a feature on the restoration of Pinehurst No. 2.  And, the article prominently discusses GCA'er Craig Disher's contribution to Coore and Crenshaw's restoration efforts.  Maybe this is old news to some/many of you, but it was new to me and made for a great read.  Nicely done, Craig!

You can check out the full article on your next flight or right now at http://spiritmag.com/features/article/not_to_be_forgotten/.

RJ_Daley

That was an enjoyable read.  I wonder if the aviator flying that photo shoot was an avid golfer and just for giggles and grins turned on the camera when making his banking turns over Pinehurst to go back over Ft Bragg? 

So, can Craig go to the "big board" in the war room, like in Dr. Strangelove, and turn on the satellite imagery and see what I'm grilling out for dinner tonight?   ;) ;D 8)

Craig, don't let them see the 'big board'!!!

Don't you miss TEP?
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Adam Clayman

Dick, I know you were joking, but part of Craig's knowledge was that those old cameras just a kept on rolling.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

RJ_Daley

Adam, having had the pleasure of Craig's company at a few outtings, I think he knows I'm pretty much a buffoon and am joking about 'the big board'. 

I'm a big proponent of having cameras on every street corner in the public domaine, and I think that would help law enforcement tremendously regarding street crime.  There should be a 'big board' in every P.D. 911 dispatch room, and they should have them able to switch and turn on various road cams through out the area like the ones that take your pic and lic plate, and literally track the robbers and such as they try to get away.  As it is now, SOP when a crime goes down is to blanket the neighborhood at all the c-stores and anywhere that has a security cam to see if the bad guys were in the area, at time of crime.  Even in my day, it was fun to interrogate a guy and he says he was no where near a place, then show him the c-store video or cam shot of that person a block away from where they robbed a little old lady, and such. 
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Bill_McBride

Adam, having had the pleasure of Craig's company at a few outtings, I think he knows I'm pretty much a buffoon and am joking about 'the big board'. 

I'm a big proponent of having cameras on every street corner in the public domaine, and I think that would help law enforcement tremendously regarding street crime.  There should be a 'big board' in every P.D. 911 dispatch room, and they should have them able to switch and turn on various road cams through out the area like the ones that take your pic and lic plate, and literally track the robbers and such as they try to get away.  As it is now, SOP when a crime goes down is to blanket the neighborhood at all the c-stores and anywhere that has a security cam to see if the bad guys were in the area, at time of crime.  Even in my day, it was fun to interrogate a guy and he says he was no where near a place, then show him the c-store video or cam shot of that person a block away from where they robbed a little old lady, and such. 

That was before you brought out the rubber hose?   ;D

RJ_Daley

Wild Bill, a rubber hose does not fit up one's nose.  And, I never even heard of water boarding other than behind my boat, before 9/11 aftermath.  ::) 

Bob Jenkins

Last October, I attended a Golfweek Raters retreat at Pinehurst and had the privilege of playing the restored #2, but as well, the after dinner speaker one night was Bill Coore.

During Bill's story on the restoration of #2, he spent a lot of time talking about how Craig contacted him and Ben and discussed the meeting at Craig's house when he and Ben first saw the aerials. They said they definitely would not have been able to do as comprehensive a job without Craig's help, which, of course, had been totally unsolicited.

Having met Craig and having played a round with him at Deal 3 years ago, I am certain that Craig is humbled by Bill Coore's references to Craig's contribution. I think Craig was just pleased to be able to help, in his quiet way.

Bob

Jonathan Mallard

So, the next question is: Do similar photographs exist for Overhills?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back