News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_ Shaffer

Re: Best Bang For Your Buck in the US
« Reply #50 on: August 20, 2012, 07:21:43 PM »
Summer rates here in The Valley of the Sun are excellent. This morning at 7:15am, I played Wigwam Gold for $29 (including a sleeve of Pinnacle Gold balls  :) ) The temperature then was in the high 80s and when we finished it was not yet 100. Just keep hydrated and use a wet towel for relief.A wide brimmed hat helps too.  Speaking of wet towels, when I played Raven Verrado, the mango scented  wet towels that were handed out by the ranger were quite a relief.
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Sean_A

« Reply #51 on: August 21, 2012, 03:23:21 AM »
I agree with Matt that all these conversations should be framed in terms of top whack pricing.  Its impossible to compare discount prices because they constantly change.  Plus, there are often unsociable aspects attached to discounts like getting up at 5am, playing golf through dinner or playing in extreme heat.  Its also a good idea to choose courses from various locals.  The most important aspect of any bang for buck game is that the course should be of a certain quality.  Playing for $10 is no bargain if the course sucks.  All that said, I would probably have lowered the pricing threshold to something akin to under $50.  I know this means a lot more research would be required because now destination courses are completely out of the picture.

Ciao     
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #52 on: August 21, 2012, 10:58:44 AM »
Sean,

While I agree with your premise, anyone who pays "rack rates" in this era of discounts at sites like golfnow.com or email clubs from the courses themselves is only hurting their own wallet.

As far as my postings concerning recent plays at Raven Verrado and Wigwam Gold for $29 in the summer heat, these prices are great for locals like me now but in prime season, they can be had for under $100.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 11:41:48 AM by Steve_ Shaffer »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson

Mark McKeever

« Reply #53 on: August 21, 2012, 11:40:23 AM »
Tumblebrook GC near Allentown, PA is a 9 hole Ross muni.  (Originally designed as a private estate course)  I think it cost me 12 bucks to play last time.

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Jud_T

« Reply #54 on: August 21, 2012, 12:18:39 PM »
Spring Valley Country Club- Salem, WI  (Langford)   $18 all day rate to walk on the weekends.  Best course for a dollar a hole, period.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 12:26:11 PM by Jud Tigerman »
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #55 on: August 24, 2012, 09:33:54 PM »
From a "lurker"

@Sean

Yes, it would be nice to thoroughly research those top tier designs that are $50 and lower -- however -- I think the results would be practically
useless.

The major cities of the USA -- with VERY few exceptions (if any) would not likely reach that threshold. Once you dip below a certain dollar level
the likelihood of a quality design becomes less and less. I do agree with you that discounting -- while nice to include -- doesn't reflect the top tier rate
one would need to play during the high season. That was my point on the thread to begin with. Steve is right mention the AZ experiences but one also has to understand the various conditions tied to accessing those facilities.

Let me also point out that in relative dollar terms -- what is charged at Rustic Canyon is likely a better overall fee than what is charged at Wild Horse
when you compare the surrounding courses near to RC and what is charged.

I don't doubt thet people can list plenty of places with cheap and low fees -- the reality is that the quality of the design usually meets the same level.
You said it best -- if the course ultimatelty sucks -- what is really gained from playing there?

That's why I believe in the equation the design has to be no less than 60% of the emphasis -- the rest is the dollar amont charged.

The magazines simply regurgitate the same info on the highest cost places. People don't have triple digits to spend on golf rounds. The fat cats and those
with the deepest of pockets have little worry on that front. Frankly, the magazines likely have a financial desire to keep taking ads from the big ticket places. If the magaziens started to emphasize value / designs to the max -- likely the resorts and big ticket daily fees would be taken aback by that editorial approach.

Black Mesa charges $87 with cart. But when you size up the quality of the experience -- and factor in the replay rate -- the gain from playing there is off the charts.

Triple digit fees for the elite top tier courses is not a feasible item for 90% of the golfing population. Certainly not resembling anything close to a steady diet.

Without a clear move on the affordable but quality design front -- it's likely more and more people will either cut their number of rounds or worse -- stop playing period.

Doug Wright

« Reply #56 on: August 24, 2012, 11:56:49 PM »
Matt Ward selects his 10 choices...Black Mesa, Rustic Canyon, etc

http://www.back9network.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=28400&ATCLID=205497341

This is a very good list though there easily could be 3-4 Colorado courses if Matt wasn't looking for diversity.
Twitter: @Deneuchre

John Kirk

« Reply #57 on: August 25, 2012, 12:02:26 AM »
Plumas Lake in Marysville, California.

Stephen Davis

« Reply #58 on: August 25, 2012, 01:36:25 AM »
Matt Ward selects his 10 choices...Black Mesa, Rustic Canyon, etc

http://www.back9network.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=28400&ATCLID=205497341

This is a very good list though there easily could be 3-4 Colorado courses if Matt wasn't looking for diversity.

Please do tell! I would love to see that list. Thanks

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #59 on: August 31, 2012, 08:08:24 PM »
@Stephen Davis

Here is the list from MW...

I my opinion it's hard to beat the duo of Colorado and Indiana for quality public courses -- I am speaking about quality layouts that are
very affordable for the greatest number of people.

I only picked one architect and tried to please me editor by spreading the choices around much of the USA.

In Colorado I would say the following are top quality layouts with excellent prices.

In no particular order ...

Four Mile Ranch / Canon City
Lakota Canyon / New Castle
Devil's Thumb / Delta
Highland Meadows / Windsor
Common Ground / Aurora
Murphy's Creek / Aurora
Cougar Canyon / Trinidad
Fossil Trace / Golden
Walking Stick / Pueblo
Red Hawk Ridge / Castle Rock
Riverdale (Dunes) / Brighton

On the high side for fees but would still recommend ...

Haymaker / Steamboat Springs
Redlands Mesa / Grand Junction
Ridge at Castle Pines North / Castle Rock

I'm sure Doug can chime in with a few others ... I also like Saddle Rock in Aurora.

Like I said earlier -- Indiana is also top tier place to play with stellar designs and fees quite reasonable.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back