News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Ezekowitz

Underrated Three Hole Stretches
« on: August 26, 2012, 11:55:06 PM »
Keeping up the Sunningdale theme of my recent postings (see favorite halfway house thread), I think that the three hole stretch from the 4th through the 6th on the New Course is one of my favorites I've ever played and underrated in world golf. First you have the drama of the fourth, the long par four that introduces you to the heather-covered open heath that makes up the meat of the golf course. Then, up the hill to the entrancing par three fifth with the green benched into the hillside and heather-covered trouble looming short, left, and right.

Finally, my favorite of the three, the par five sixth, a green twisting serpent stretching out in a sea of purple. The golfer is challenged to carry that heather on both his drive and second shot if he hopes to reach the green.

In three beautiful holes, he hit a long approach, flight an exposed iron, and either hit two heroic shots or a half-wedge to an uphill green that slopes away. Did I mention the holes play close to 270 degrees away from each other and thus the golfer will face three different wind directions? Colt tests quite a few facets of the game in only three holes.

Now that I've expounded on my underrated three hole stretch, I am interested if you have thoughts on similar stretches that might not be as well appreciated as you think they should be.

Sam Morrow

Re: Underrated Three Hole Stretches
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 12:01:27 AM »
My first thought was the Horrible Horseshoe at Colonial, I think that 11-13 at Champions Cypress is a great stretch too. It's got a super tough long par 4, a solid par 3 over water, and a very cool par 5 with the huge creek playing alongside it. 4-6 at Dismal was a stretch that really surprised me too, 4 is an awesome par 5 with the windmill short, everyone knows about the crazy saddle green on 5 (the best stupid hole I've ever played) and I think 6 is an awesome short par 4 where crazy things can happen.

Sean_A

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 05:10:34 AM »
Yes, Sunny New 4-6 is awesome, but I think a very well known stretch - no?

Having just seen Huntercombe again, surely the 2-4 stretch is lost in time.  All par 4s, one drivable (just), no bunkers, and fun.

Pennard has a few three hole stretches which are excellent and as we all know Pennard's entire course is off the charts for experts.

And just to throw it in the face of Burnham nay sayers - totally under-rated stretch of 5-7

Ciao
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 05:16:21 AM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2012, 10:42:52 AM »
Are we speaking of major courses here? As in, courses with high ranking on magazine lists? featured on television? beloved by GCA?

I think that the first three holes of the original course at Bandon Dunes could be the finishing stretch of any great course in any great land.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Mac Plumart

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2012, 10:53:55 AM »
You could pick and choose from a few stretches at Askernish, but I'll go with 10, 11, 12.

Kingsley 2, 3, 4 is top-notch.

Sebonack 1, 2, 3 is as good as it gets in my book.

Canterbury 15, 16, 17 ain't too shabby.

Rivermont 10, 11, 12

Inwood 12, 13, 14 (or 13, 14, 15) is pretty good.

And I'll stop with Royal New Kent 5, 6, 7.
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

hhuffines

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2012, 08:10:53 PM »
Mac, ditto on Kingsley!   I don't know if they are underrated but they are fantastic and require really good shots to play well.  I also thought 14, 15, and 16 were exceptional....

Brian Potash

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2012, 08:20:03 PM »
4 holes but Engineers 4-7 fits this bill for me. 

I'd expand but at a Roxette concert.  Not a misprint there.

Brian

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2012, 09:05:20 PM »
Three of my favorite holes are 5,6,& 7 at Westward Ho!  A great little par three into the wind with a stupendous green complex, a wonderful shortish par four with a fairway from the moon, and a longish par four dogleg around some rushes.  I could play them all day.  In fact I did one day.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Michael George

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2012, 05:19:19 AM »

I assume underrated on this site has to exclude all Bandon courses and all prairie courses - as they certainly get a lot of discussion here.

Forest Dunes 16-18.  Really a great finish on this underrated course.

"First come my wife and children.  Next comes my profession--the law. Finally, and never as a life in itself, comes golf" - Bob Jones

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back