News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sven Nilsen

Re: Huckaby mugged in Spain?
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2012, 11:59:07 AM »
I know for sure Tom wasnt in Spain because he was coaching a kid's game in San Jose!  Otherwise he'd have having dinner with me at Capp's Corner in San Francisco! 

I also got an email from Kalen Braley with a link to a site flogging men's health products.  Hacked and scammed!

Say hi to Terry the bartender at Capps for me.  That guy is a trip.
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Richard Choi

« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2012, 12:00:21 PM »

Shivas,

I got all of them except # 2.
Can you give me a hint ?

OMG! Mucci's GCA account has been HACKED!!!

P.S. I am guessing Tom's password was not very complex, probably a single or two word combination. I am guessing "CypressRocks!".

Kalen Braley

« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2012, 12:04:51 PM »
I don't think his password was compromised, I think his email address was spoofed.

Richard Choi

« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2012, 12:08:19 PM »
If it was spoofed, how did he get access to Tom's mailing list?

Dan Kelly

« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2012, 12:11:40 PM »
P.S. I am guessing Tom's password was not very complex, probably a single or two word combination. I am guessing "CypressRocks!".

I was guessing "ohdeargodpleasegivemearealace."
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Dan Kelly

« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2012, 12:22:10 PM »
2.  Which GCA member feinted at the signt of the most glorious bunker he had ever seen?

I gave that bunker a little head feint and then headed up to the green!

Of course, it wasn't so hot the day I was there....

P.S. I find it moderately disturbing that I think I can answer five of those six questions!
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

George Pazin

« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2012, 12:27:10 PM »
I guess Huck either doesn't have my up-to-date email or Google does a good job filtering.

I see Huck permanently emigrating to Spain before emailing John for his assistance. I think he'd get along fine in Madrid.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2012, 12:29:31 PM »
I guess Huck either doesn't have my up-to-date email or Google does a good job filtering.

I see Huck permanently emigrating to Spain before emailing John for his assistance. I think he'd get along fine in Madrid.

That is what had me hooked. It was the perfect double reverse sting.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2012, 12:34:57 PM »
This is an interesting one.

If you look in the source of the header, one can easily see the reply-to: field has been changed.

Reply-To:  hurckaby72@yahoo.com

But Rich is correct, I'm not sure how the scammer would have gotten all of our email addresses without compromising his account or his PC.

George Pazin

« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2012, 12:47:35 PM »

That is what had me hooked. It was the perfect double reverse sting.

Gotta admit, that's funny.

If you guys get one from me and my son, sans wife, from Barnbougle, it's real.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Bill_McBride

« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2012, 12:48:53 PM »
I know for sure Tom wasnt in Spain because he was coaching a kid's game in San Jose!  Otherwise he'd have having dinner with me at Capp's Corner in San Francisco! 

I also got an email from Kalen Braley with a link to a site flogging men's health products.  Hacked and scammed!

Say hi to Terry the bartender at Capps for me.  That guy is a trip.

....and makes a good martini!

Kalen Braley

« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2012, 02:33:47 PM »
So i confirmed with Tom his account got compromised. 

Even deleted all his folders and contacts too...that's pretty messed up.  Hopefully Yahoo has most of it backed up and can restore it.

Richard Choi

« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2012, 02:42:33 PM »
This is probably a good time to remind everyone about safe computing practices...

• Make sure your password is not comprised of dictionary words only (a typical desktop PC can try 8.2 billion word combinations to try to break your account).
  • Include special characters like @#$% and numbers
  • Change your password every now and then

George Pazin

« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2012, 02:47:05 PM »
This is probably a good time to remind everyone about safe computing practices...

• Make sure your password is not comprised of dictionary words only (a typical desktop PC can try 8.2 billion word combinations to try to break your account).
  • Include special characters like @#$% and numbers
  • Change your password every now and then

It's not that easy, Rich, I quickly figured out your password is HokeisTHE@#$%!

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2012, 02:56:25 PM »
All monies for the Tom Huckaby Rescure Fund may be forwarded to me. I will make sure that he receives his just share.

Ronald S. Montesano
123 Candy Cane Lane
North Pole, Fantasy Land
1225-2012

ALERT!!!!!!!

Don't be fooled by this post. Ronald S. Montesano does not reside at this address. It is clearly a scammer trying to scam money on the back of the original scam. What is worse I ask myself, the original scammer or the scammer who follows him???

Do not fall for this base and vile trick ;D

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2012, 03:04:41 PM »
John I am lost and held hostage in Tampa. Please send 1,000,000.00 to Tiger Bernhardt c/o free Tiger from the Republicans and Gumps, Po Box win in 2012, Lafayette, La 70505.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 02:23:27 PM by Tiger_Bernhardt »

Bill_McBride

« Reply #41 on: August 23, 2012, 03:33:16 PM »
So i confirmed with Tom his account got compromised. 

Even deleted all his folders and contacts too...that's pretty messed up.  Hopefully Yahoo has most of it backed up and can restore it.

What about the email I got, allegedly from your account?  It was a link to a site selling male performance enhancement drugs.  Or are you selling that stuff now?!

Kalen Braley

« Reply #42 on: August 23, 2012, 04:17:01 PM »
Bill,

That's news to me.  My account is fine as far as I know..password, contacts, email is all intact.

Forward it on to me, I'd like to take a look at it.

Kalen

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #43 on: August 23, 2012, 08:31:15 PM »
Ironically, spam for rogue pharmacies are huge business for the Russian mob.  They've deployed a number of botnets to flood the world with their ads for "Canadian" pharmacies.

Please be sure to run Windows Update often.  And, trust me, Macs are being attacked now too.

PS - I do IT security for a living.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2012, 12:47:29 PM »
Ironically, spam for rogue pharmacies are huge business for the Russian mob.  They've deployed a number of botnets to flood the world with their ads for "Canadian" pharmacies.

Please be sure to run Windows Update often.  And, trust me, Macs are being attacked now too.

PS - I do IT security for a living.

How does one run Windows Update?

Mac attack?  What about iPad etc?

Richard Choi

« Reply #45 on: August 24, 2012, 01:54:05 PM »
Windows Update should be running automatically unless you opted out.

You can just hit "Start" and type "Windows Update" in the text box at the bottom of the Start Menu. If you are running XP or older, you really need to upgrade...

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #46 on: August 24, 2012, 02:22:40 PM »
Richard - Amen.  Windows XP is the source of most of my security woes.  Windows 7 is very good.

Monthly, Windows Update will run something called the "Malicious Software Removal Tool"   Run it!  This will try to get rid of any botnet malware that may be on your PC.

If you want to be really scared, do a Google on "botnet".

These aren't kiddie hackers trying to crash your computer.  They're now organized criminals intent on robbing you blind.

Morgan Clawson

« Reply #47 on: August 24, 2012, 03:07:22 PM »
This is weird.

I just received an email from Melvyn.

Apparently the police revoked his driver's license and he's no longer able to drive his car.

The only thing they will let him drive is a golf cart, and he needs $1,000 from me to help buy a new one.

;)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back