News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Neil_Crafter

Balmoral GC, Belfast - now confirmed as a Mackenzie
« on: July 19, 2012, 08:43:32 PM »
Balmoral is a course that has never appeared on any list of Dr Mackenzie's projects, not in Colt & Co, The Architects of Golf nor in The Life & Work of Dr Alister Mackenzie. Except one. It appears in Mackenzie's own 1923 brochure that he put out when he split from Colt and Alison.

Our little Mackenzie research group have been steadily working our way through the courses in this list with very consistent results - they are all working out as confirmed courses where he was involved. The myth is that Mackenzie listed in his advertisements courses that he just drove past one day, but this could not be further from the truth.

An example of this is the Balmoral course, listed under "Belfast" along with Malone and Knock. Apart from its listing in this brochure, we have two other references that speak strongly to a Mac involvement here.

The first of these is a letter from Mackenzie dated March 1920 to Norman Duxbury of the Bury GC that outlines some of the courses that Mackenzie was currently building. Balmoral was listed as a reconstruction on heavy clay.

Charles Mackenzie appears to have built the course as he includes it in a list of his courses in a letter to the Chatsworth Estate concerning Cavendish GC.

These three pieces of evidence point strongly towards a Mackenzie involvement at Balmoral. But no mention on the club website and after a few years of trying to enquire with the club they finally got back to me a few months ago with a promise to do some digging - and they have hit paydirt.

From the Report of Council of 27th March 1920 .......

In the design and supervision of the construction of the New Course your Council have had the advantage of of the services of Dr.MacKenzie,and the work has made satisfactory progress.Whilst having regard to the economy,the Council have not spared such expenditure as was necessary to obtain te best possible results and make the Course worthy of this large and important club; and they are advised that when completed it will rank favourably with the best and most interesting inland courses in the Kingdom.The expenditure will exceed £5000,of which almost one half will have been spent in re-forming the river bed and banks and in a large and necessary system of drainage and ground levelling.

The Capital Expenditure for the year amounts to £4507.19s,1d,which includes the construction of the New Course.

Signed R.W.STUART     Honorary Secretary.

Over the next two years expediture increased to £7445 0 10.

So with the evidence from the club, coupled with the evidence from the Mackenzie documentation, we can quite comfortably say that Balmoral had a major reconstruction of its course in 1919-20 to Mackenzie's design, which was very likely constructed by C A Mackenzie & Co.

Neil_Crafter

Re: Balmoral GC, Belfast - now confirmed as a Mackenzie
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2012, 03:53:26 AM »
bump, before it sinks without trace.........

Martin Toal

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2012, 04:51:49 AM »
I haven't played Balmoral for about 20 years or so. Did I remember correctly that they were considering moving away from that site beside the King's Hall?

Neil_Crafter

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2012, 05:37:05 AM »
Sorry Martin, don't know the answer to that.

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2012, 08:07:22 AM »
Neil

Many thanks for this jolt of pleasurable excitement. Have you come across plans, maps, etc; anything that indicates the success of the work or quality of the course; or have a notion how today's course compares?

Bill_McBride

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2012, 07:17:52 PM »
Off topic question about the printed list of Mac courses:

Is "Burnham on Sea" the same as Burnham and Berrow?   I heard about Colt there but not Mackenzie.

Neil_Crafter

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2012, 08:54:21 PM »
Bill
Yes it is Burnham & Berrow. Mac did a bit of work there. Not at my computer now but will check and get back to you.

Mark
Don't know that yet.

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2012, 10:22:25 PM »
Neil,

I am intrigued by the inclusion in MacKenzie's letter of Timperley Golf Club. Although the club no longer exists the course remains as Altrincham Municipal. I had no idea that MacKenzie had had any involvement.

http://www.altrinchamgolfclub.org.uk/history.html

I am having some difficulty reconciling MacKenzie's claim to have been involved in over 300 course constuctions/reconstructions and the time span available to him.  Only thirteen years elapsed between the completion of Moortown and the publication of his brochure, four of which were spent fighting the Great War.  

300 courses in 9 years? With primitive communications and transport links? No wonder he only managed to visit Reddish Vale a couple of times!
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 10:39:56 PM by Duncan Cheslett »

Bill_McBride

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2012, 11:04:11 PM »
Bill
Yes it is Burnham & Berrow. Mac did a bit of work there. Not at my computer now but will check and get back to you.

Mark
Don't know that yet.

Played there a couple of years ago.   ;D ;D ;D

Lots of Colt this and Colt that, not one word about Mackenzie. 

I guess he worked on Weston super Mare which is nearby, so makes sense. 

Neil_Crafter

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2012, 01:26:18 AM »
Bill
This is what we have on B&B

Not listed by DSH, Hawtree or C&W. Listed in AM 1923 advertisement. Club history book indicates Mackenzie was invited to give his opinions on the course in 1922 and to suggest further improvements and produced a report. He was asked to give his views on the construction of the new 9th and 10th holes but went further and produced a report on every hole. The report has not survived. It is possible that some of his recommendations were incorporated over the next few years. Primarily a Colt and Alison course.

Duncan
Timperley was redesigned by Mackenzie in the immediate post WW1 period of 1919-21, which was the time he was in partnership with Colt and Alison. Here is what we have:

Not listed by DSH, Hawtree or C&W. Listed in AM 1923 advertisement, original course founded in 1893. Darwin (The Golf Courses of Great Britain-1925) confirms course as a Mackenzie, saying "Then there is the Timperley course, where Duncan was once professional, near Altrincham. It has been remodelled by Dr Mackenzie, who has made some good short holes there, notably the third, the thirteenth and the fifth, where he has piously imitated the eleventh at St Andrews." The date of Darwin's book and the advertisement would give a likely date of the early 1920's for AM's work at Timperley. The course was sold in 1934 and the Timperley club moved after the course was made municipal. The Altrincham GC were formed in 1935 and still play over the original course.

The Guardian of 12 September 1919 indicated that, “Extensive alterations to the Timperley course have been begun.  That the round was always a good test of golf has been demonstrated by the scores returned at the long series of open meetings, but its lay-out, with its numerous cross-bunkers, was admittedly antiquated.  Dr. Mackenzie, of Leeds, is responsible for the scheme of improvements, and in the general plan he has produced some cunning punishments on his usual lines—sand scrapes and grass hummocks.  Another excellent result of the alterations is the addition of 600 yards to the length of the course, making the total measurement over six thousand yards, the modern ideal distance.  This will be brought about not by taking in more land, but by rearrangement of that already possessed.  The rearrangement will bring, too, a convenience which is considerable to any club—it will place the ninth green near the clubhouse, so that on crowded days players may start at the tenth and yet finish their complete round near what is sometimes called ‘the nineteenth hole.’  Altogether the scheme is an admirable one.”

The Guardian of 20 April 1920 decribed changes to 2nd hole and the “short 3rd hole.” “Dr. Mackenzie, of Leeds, and Mr. H.S. Colt, of Sunningdale, who are responsible for the scheme, express themselves satisfied with the work already completed, and the Council of the club feel convinced that, when the alterations are complete, the Timperley course will compare favourably with any inland links in the country as a test of golf.  Mr. T. G. Armstrong, one of Manchester’s best-known players, who is one of the few who have gained success at the game in spite of unorthodox methods, has undertaken supervision of the scheme to considerable advantage.”

The Guardian of 27 September 1921 reports on the changes at Timperley, "Since the war ended the Timperley club have spent about £2000 on their links, and so many changes have been made that players who have not visited the course since 1919 will be surprised when they again accept the hospitality of a Timperley member. The advice of a well known links architect has been taken...."  The report then goes on to detail the changes in some depth.  The Guardian of 31 March 1924 reported that the 17th green had been redesigned as it had "aroused much criticism after the completion of the scheme of reconstruction." As it was designed, "the green offered an almost impossible second to the best players, and a haphazard third to the longer handicap men. Now it has been made a little longer, and there is a gradual rise instead of a bank at the front." Mackenzie listed Timperley in a letter to Bury GC listing some of the courses he had built, "Timperley Golf Club (re-construction)  £2,000 to  £3,000."

From Mark Rowlinson: Timperley Golf Club members were forced out when the owner died and the Borough of Altrincham outbid them for rent on the course. Some of the members learned that a new country club was to be formed a few miles away at Mere. They approached the directors with a view to having golf among the activities on offer. As first proposed, golf was not on the Mere agenda – riding, swimming, tennis and an airstrip, but not golf. James Braid was called in to design the new Mere course and George Duncan (who some of Timperley members knew) was approached to be the inaugural professional. So Timperley members who could no longer afford to play on their course became members of one of the most expensive clubs for miles around! The Altrincham Municipal website mentions that the Timperley members first went to Baguley. That course no longer exists.

Duncan, as for the claim of 300 courses, I am fairly sceptical about that number too. We haven't got to 300 courses over the total length of Mackenzie's career, let alone up until 1923.But the ones he listed in that brochure all seem to check out.

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2012, 01:43:41 AM »
Thanks Neil.

I see upon re-reading the brochure that MacKenzie claims only to have 'advised' 300 clubs - a fairly nebulous term.

I guess I could fire off 300 emails this afternoon to golf clubs 'advising' them on their courses!  :)

Johnny_Browne

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2012, 10:21:04 AM »
Neil,
Balmoral have not moved.  It was talked about for a few years but the members decided not to move and of course then the housing bubble burst so it will never happen.  It is not built on a great piece of land as very flat but has always been a pleasant place to play not far from the centre of Belfast.  2 years ago they redid all the greens - while they are successful in that they are well drained and much more playable in all weathers they are really out of keeping with the rest of the course being very big and quite severely contoured.  The members find them very difficult.  I did not realise that McKenzie had any input there.  There were obviously a number of Colt courses in N Ireland.
Kind regards,
Johnny

Neil_Crafter

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2012, 09:19:58 PM »
Thanks Johnny
No I didn't think they had moved.

I think you can safely say that Mackenzie had more than just input having totally reconstructed the course, the club having spent nearly 7500 pounds which was a very high budget for construction in those days.

Mackenzie certainly made a few trips to Northern Ireland as in addition to Balmoral, Malone and Knock, he also visited County Down to advise on their Ladies Course. He does list Portrush as well, and it is possible he visited there a few times during construction while in partnership with Harry Colt.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2012, 01:25:51 AM »
Neil, Colts reconstruction was later than the partnership.

http://www.royalportrushgolfclub.com/history-of-rpgc/
Let's make GCA grate again!

Neil_Crafter

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2012, 01:54:55 AM »
Tony
Of course you are correct, I said that without checking, my bad.
It is an interesting possibility then that Mackenzie was at Portrush in that 1919-23 period before Colt's later reconstruction. I'll ask Paul Turner if he knows anything. I have previously enquired with the club but had no response.
Neil

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back