News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

Who Will Be At Lytham on Friday?
« on: July 16, 2012, 04:14:23 PM »
One of the wonderful things about The Open is one can decide at the last moment to attend.  I am thinking of going up to Lytham on Friday if the weather forecast is decent.  Anybody else plan on going?

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Chechesee Creek & Old Barnwell

James Boon

Re: Who Will Be At Lytham on Friday?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 04:31:53 PM »
Sean,

I am thinking of going to the Open this year, but it would have to be the Saturday for me. Assuming the weather forecast is half decent I'll be driving up on the day.

I hope you don't think of me hijacking your thread, but anyone else thinking of the Saturday perhaps?

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

James Boon

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2012, 03:44:39 AM »
So there is no one going to be there on Friday or Saturday from the GCA crowd???
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Tom Culley

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2012, 06:05:47 AM »
I'm headed up there this evening. Will be waking up at 4am tomorrow and then heading to the course for the first tee shot of the championship :D
"Play the ball as it lies, play the course as you find it, and if you cannot do either, do what is fair. But to do what is fair, you need to know the Rules of Golf."

Dean Stokes

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2012, 08:23:19 AM »
Given the criteria that the weather forecast has to be 'half decent'....nobody will be there ;) I spoke to my Dad and friends about who was going and got the same answer off all - tickets are now 70 pounds each and the weather is crap!! seems a shame as this was always a great week of the year...I remember setting off to Troon from Leeds at 3am, watching a full days play and driving back. I think we paid 15 pounds to get in....what happened?
Living The Dream in The Palm Beaches....golfing, yoga-ing, horsing around and working damn it!!!!!!!

Tom Culley

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2012, 08:48:56 AM »
Only £25 for me because I'm under 21 ;D
"Play the ball as it lies, play the course as you find it, and if you cannot do either, do what is fair. But to do what is fair, you need to know the Rules of Golf."

Dean Stokes

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2012, 09:46:13 AM »
I believe at some 'youthful' age entry should be free to encourage young people to get into the game....it may also encourage a mum or dad with lets say 13 year olds to take them for a day.....
Living The Dream in The Palm Beaches....golfing, yoga-ing, horsing around and working damn it!!!!!!!

Tom Kelly

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2012, 10:33:34 AM »
I believe at some 'youthful' age entry should be free to encourage young people to get into the game....it may also encourage a mum or dad with lets say 13 year olds to take them for a day.....

It is free for under 16's if you get tickets in advance.

http://www.theopen.com/en/TicketsAndHospitality/Ticket-Prices.aspx

I might be heading up at the weekend, but not certain yet.

David Nelson

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2012, 11:09:52 AM »
I will be there on Sunday!

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2012, 12:01:02 PM »
Brian with a little forward booking you could have travelled first class on the train for £80 and been dropped off by the 9th green. Even booking today it's £78 in standard and no parking fees.

Whose greed is driving the entry fees up? 12857 people need to walk through the gates just to pay the winner and 71428 just pay the prize money.
Cave Nil Vino

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2012, 01:07:57 PM »
Brian - agreed its an expensive day out, I was just pointing out with a little planning the cost/effort can be reduced. Indeed Lytham with a station on the course must be the most accessible Open course by public transport.

The prize money comes out of the total budget and the admission fees are part of the income.
Cave Nil Vino

Philip Gawith

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2012, 05:35:26 PM »
Sean, I am.

Going by train. Should be at Ansdell+Fairhaven just after 10am.

Hope you come and we can hook up.....Philip

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2012, 09:24:06 PM »
It is a shame those ticket prices are not green fee cost. The day look downright cheap compared to playing a round without a member to host. Actually the key is not going shopping. My ticket t US Open was about the same as the Open. It was the 795 dollars shopping that got me. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back