News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ben Jarvis

ONE OF THE GREAT DAY'S GOLF: Sunningdale Old Pics
« on: July 11, 2012, 04:56:16 AM »
On my final day of a recent trip to the UK, I had the pleasure of visiting Sunningdale Golf Club. In the few days leading up to my visit, the weather was miserable at best, and my fingers were crossed for some improvement. With a bit of luck, it did and perfect golfing conditions greeted me.

The club were very accommodating and welcomed me like a member. The General Manager greeted me at the clubhouse, showed me through the beautiful building and took some time out of his day to have some lunch. After chatting away over lunch, time got away and I had to quickly make my way to the 1st tee of the Old Course.

It seemed quite a busy Wednesday afternoon, and as a single, I wasn't too keen to be stuck in the middle of three's and fours all day. So, I asked a group of three approaching the tee whether I could join them - they welcomed me without hesitation. The three gents were great company and were able to give me a few pointers along the way. One of the members, in fact, was also a member at Swinley Forest and Royal St George's - lucky man!

A wonderful round on the Old Course followed after meeting the three gents on the tee and Sunningdale left a lasting impression on me - a wonderful golf club, wonderful people, and a golf course to match.

Here are some photos I snapped along the way - although photos never do these amazing golfing venues justice, I think I have been able to portray the scale of the place, the beautiful rolling terrain mixed with the heather and pine, and its overall charm.

Club By-Laws, written by H. S. Colt

The Clubhouse, taken beneath the famous Oak tree

The Clubhouse and putting green

Hole 1
Par-5, 492 yards

Hole 3
Par-4, 292 yards

Hole 4
Par-3, 157 yards

Hole 5
Par-4, 407 yards

Hole 6
Par-4, 386 yards

Hole 7
Par-4, 393 yards

Hole 9
Par-4, 267 yards

Hole 10
Par-4, 475 yards

Halfway Hut (after 10 holes)

Hole 11
Par-4, 322 yards

Hole 12
Par-4, 442 yards

Hole 13
Par-3, 185 yards

Hole 14
Par-5, 503 yards

Hole 15
Par-3, 239 yards

Hole 16
Par-4, 434 yards

Hole 17
Par-4, 425 yards

Hole 18
Par-4, 423 yards

Twitter: @BennyJarvis
Instagram: @bennyj08

Scott Warren

Re: ONE OF THE GREAT DAY'S GOLF: Sunningdale Old Pics
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 06:48:24 AM »
Majestic. Love those long vistas on the holes near the house.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 08:09:16 AM »
Thank you!!
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Keith Phillips

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 08:29:53 AM »
I played The Old once a decade ago and it remains my favorite inland course (tied with Oakmont) - I love the terrain, the heather and the abundance of hazards/obstacles IN the fairway - great pics!

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 09:02:35 AM »
If someone plunked me down on the first tee at the Old and said, "This is the only golf course you can play the rest of your life," I'd probably take it. Love that place. So much. Such phenomenal balance among the 18 holes there and the feeling of the club is just as good as it gets.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

David_Tepper

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012, 09:14:38 AM »
Tim G. -

And the New is pretty good too! ;)

DT

PCCraig

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2012, 09:23:50 AM »
If someone plunked me down on the first tee at the Old and said, "This is the only golf course you can play the rest of your life," I'd probably take it. Love that place. So much. Such phenomenal balance among the 18 holes there and the feeling of the club is just as good as it gets.

Well said Tim, I agree 100%. As good as it gets.
H.P.S.

Brett_Morrissy

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2012, 12:24:33 AM »
Very nice Ben, expect no one is late for tee time? :)
@theflatsticker

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back