News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Doug Ralston

PGA responsibility to it's golfers.
« on: June 26, 2012, 08:58:17 PM »
I have been planning to go to Evansville to watch the Nationwide early rounds at Victoria National. Today, I called and canceled my room, with penalty. Why?

http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/Evansville+IN+USIN0190:1:US

Is there any limit to where the PGA/Nationwide should consider dangerous conditions to the point that they postpone/cancel an event?

I am pretty highly resistant to heat conditions, yet I reached my limit as the predicted heat levels continued to rise. A week ago, when I made my reservation, predictions where for low 80's. Now, two days out, even I am not bold enough to push my body into that kind of conditions.

Oh well, I can watch the guys collapse on TV.

Doug

PS: Should they even [God forbid] allow them carts? OMG, I said it!
Where is everybody? Where is Tommy N? Where is John K? Where is Jay F? What has happened here? Has my absence caused this chaos? I'm sorry. All my rowdy friends have settled down ......... somewhere else!

David_Elvins

Re: PGA responsibility to it's golfers.
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 09:06:02 PM »
I have been planning to go to Evansville to watch the Nationwide early rounds at Victoria National. Today, I called and canceled my room, with penalty. Why?

http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/Evansville+IN+USIN0190:1:US

Is there any limit to where the PGA/Nationwide should consider dangerous conditions to the point that they postpone/cancel an event?

I am pretty highly resistant to heat conditions, yet I reached my limit as the predicted heat levels continued to rise. A week ago, when I made my reservation, predictions where for low 80's. Now, two days out, even I am not bold enough to push my body into that kind of conditions.

Oh well, I can watch the guys collapse on TV.

Doug

I have worked outside in conditions that have been 120+. It isn't life threatening as long as you take the right precautions.  Good hydration, clothes and food being the most important.  The Australian Open tennis has also recorded temperatures of 120+ on court and tennis is a lot more strenuous than golf.  

Playing golf in 100+ temperatures isn't ideal, but it isn't hard to do.  Although I wouldn't argue wit hyour decision not to spectate. Your post may be more evidence of how soft the world is becoming.  
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Phil McDade

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 09:17:23 PM »
David:

Heat stress is a serious medical issue, and one that can go south very quickly, and be life-threatening. I've come pretty close myself, twice, and I just don't mess around anymore with heat and humidity of the kind that Doug appropriately (in my view) is avoiding.

Yes, there is softness in the world. I'd rather be smart, and live to tell about it.

David_Elvins

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2012, 09:21:38 PM »
David:

Heat stress is a serious medical issue, and one that can go south very quickly, and be life-threatening.

Phil,

I agree with you and to clarify I did not mean that Doug was soft in avoiding hot weather, just the idea of cancelling a golf tournament was soft.  A professional athlete should have the resources to survive in hot weather and I see no need to cancel a golf tournament because of the temperature.  
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 09:23:25 PM by David_Elvins »
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Jason Thurman

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2012, 09:29:56 PM »
I've walked and carried in heat like that. In fact, I think it was around 98 when I walked and carried the 11 miles or whatever it is around Erin Hills. I wouldn't be surprised if they moved tee times around as much as possible to stick with cooler times of day, but I'm not sure if they'll even have flexibility depending on the size of the field.

Playing in heat isn't too big a deal as long as you stay hydrated and get plenty of electrolytes. It makes it really easy to stay loose. Isiah Thomas and Bernard King played pretty well in a 100-degree Joe Louis Arena, and NFL players gut it out in Miami summers and Green Bay winters. It'd be pretty embarrassing if a bunch of professionals who have great big dudes doing the heavy lifting for them got a tournament cancelled because it was summer.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Robert Mercer Deruntz

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2012, 10:50:15 PM »
The PGA tour is only responsible for adminstering a tournament wit its players.  To postpone or cnacel a tournament based upon a possible forecast is foolhardy when such events involve countless hours of preparation by large numbers of people.  The reality of professional golf is that the lesser tournaments are played in conditions and at locations far removed from 70 degrees and linksland.  Most mini tours are contested i  arizona, Palm Springs, North Carolina inland, rural southwest Texas, south Florida, and all over the Southeast(Hooter Tour) during the summer. All of these locations involve sweltering heat at best.  There are very, very few pros who have graduated to the PGA tour without spending some time in these environments.  The international players have also played in similar condions as they developed.  In the late 80's, there were many top notch players who would play 54 holes in a day at PGA West and La Quinta Hotel in the summer at a $30 all day rate--this was how players toughened up54 holes of money games on tough courses

Dan King

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2012, 12:26:01 AM »
Doug Ralston writes:

Even better, move the whole thing indoors so they can crank up the AC.

Cheers,
Dan King
It was luxuries like air conditioning that brought down the Roman Empire. With air conditioning their windows were shut, they couldn't hear the barbarians coming.
 --Garrison Keillor

David Bartman

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2012, 06:41:25 PM »
Doug,

I played professional golf , on the Nationwide Tour, before it was the title sponsor, and we played in some very hot conditions.  I think the responsibility lies with the Tour to provide water on every hole for the players.  Educate the players about the risks involved with heat exhaustion, the warning signs etc.  After that, its up to the players to determine if they want to play in those conditions. 

I also feel that the Tour should take extra care to provide shade and possibly misting tents ( similar to NFL and college football sidelines ) for spectators.  I agree that it is really important to keep everyone hydrated ( maybe get a local sponsor to provide water to spectators with their local logo on the water bottle, win win for everyone ), but the show must go on.

I do have a 2 instances of heat stroke that I was privy to see.  the Asian Tour, we played in January-March however many of the cities we played in are near the equator, Jakarta, Singapore, Kuala Lampur so it was particularly hot there during the winter months.  During one of the events it was near 100 degrees and almost 100% humidity, it was really hot and sticky.  One of the American players collapsed.  This was back in mid 90's and while it was shocking, it didn't change the amount of water on the course over the next few days, and certainly wouldn't have been an acceptable reaction in the USA.  So it can happen, I have certainly felt the effects of it, in Portland Oregon of all places, temperatures soared to around 100 degrees,  I was near the lead of the the GI JOE/Thriftway event when I started to feel light headed and dizzy.  I had to lay down a couple of times and played a 7 hole stretch, 4-5 over par.  I think I shot 10 or so under for three rounds and finished in the top 5, so it was a killer stretch to my chances.  I ended up getting to either a water or Gatorade on a tee, they were placed sporadically around the course, and immediately felt much better and finished the 2nd round strong with a couple of birdies.  Serious indeed
Still need to play Pine Valley!!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back