News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Randy Thompson

Many clubs are changing from Bent to Bermuda in the transition zones and throughout the South as discussed many times on the tree house. There seems to be high expectations for the Mini-Verde and Champions. I have not had the pleasure of working with either yet but there suppose to have a finer leave surface and even more aggressive then tiff-eagle for example. These grasses are producing some quality surfaces but they need cultural practices. Anthony seems to maintain quality tiff-eagle greens as well as anybody but seems to have some kind of cultural practice schedules every Monday throughout the nine month growing season. I assume the same will remain true for Mini Verde and Champions. The USA without a doubt has a very high level of qualified superintendents and the supers are able to educate their boards the importance of these cultural practices. Here in South America itīs not the case and the boards really donīt understand the importance of aerifying during the early years when things are looking good. Kind of a, if it ainīt broke donīt try to convince me to fix it. The following photos are of Tiff-Eagle greens in Brazil that were not aerified for almost five years and have built up a 4 inch thatch layer. They have vert-i-drained twice a year in the last two years but thatīs not enough and they will have to be more aggressive. They are also on a twenty day, year around preventative fungicide program aimed at Brown Patch. Here are two photos of what most of the greens have looked liked for the last six to eight weeks, early spring.

That is some nasty brown patch!
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 10:13:12 PM by Randy Thompson »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back