News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Niall Hay

Bloomfield Hills Country Club - MI
« on: May 23, 2012, 10:24:22 AM »
“Bloomfield Hills Country Club is a private golf club rich with history and tradition. The original 12-hole course was staked by Tom Bendelow in 1909 and the full 18 holes were modified and completed by H.S. Colt in 1912. Over the years, Donald Ross, Robert Trent Jones and Arthur Hills added touches that refined the course into the impeccable challenge it is today.” – from their website homepage - http://bloomfieldhillscc.org

Is there any evidence that the 18 hole course at BHCC is a Colt design?  Timing makes sense, but have never heard this Colt connection. Or the Ross later tweaks. Does anyone have more information on this?

Robert Mercer Deruntz

Re: Bloomfield Hills Country Club - MI
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 11:12:12 AM »
I haven't been there since 1975, when I was 13, but up to 1973 my grandfather was an over 50 year member.  I played there a number of times, but only remember the perfect conditioning and beautiful trees. I was always told that it was the sporty Ross to Oakland Hills, where he and his friends were also members until the mid-50's. Pine Lake and Orchard Lake were the clubs for the kids and family and then Oakland Hills and Bloomfield Hills was where real golf took place.  The consensus among his fellow Dr's was that Franklin Hills had both the best course and by far the best food

Niall Hay

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2012, 12:36:16 PM »
Oakland Hills and Bloomfield Hills was where real golf took place. 

Interesting. Never heard that about BHCC. OHCC is obvious, but certainly never heard about real golf at BHCC or the Ross connection.

Niall Hay

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2012, 12:37:03 PM »
The consensus among his fellow Dr's was that Franklin Hills had both the best course and by far the best food

Dont know about the food, but the course at Franklin is great. Very good Ross. Some would say better and certainly more Ross than Oakland.

Niall Hay

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 04:18:49 PM »
Sorry for duplicate thread. Seems to be addressed as least briefly here: http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,49942.0.html

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back