News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John_Conley

Windsong Farm Golf Club -
« on: December 08, 2011, 12:16:40 PM »
A friend just called to tell me another golf club has become a victim of difficult economic times.

Windsong Farm, a club with a terrific golf course just W of Minneapolis, evidently has been impacted by a lack of revenue.

http://wsfarm.com/

I'm sure there will be more details in the coming days.  Hopefully a revised operating structure allows the course to remain open.

PCCraig

Re: Windsong Farm Golf Club -
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2011, 12:43:02 PM »
Did it go BK? I hope you have a few more details than it has a "lack of revenue" before posting something like this in a public forum.
H.P.S.

Ben Kodadek

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2011, 01:42:13 PM »
Agreed Pat.  No need for this kind of post unless you've got a press release.

Dave Taylor

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2011, 02:55:41 PM »
Chestnut Ridge CC north of Baltimore (opened in 1957) closed Nov 20th.

It just seems to be a continuous stream of bad news in this business.

Jeff Shelman

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2011, 03:41:14 PM »
I think John is a very good poster who wouldn't post random gossip, especially about something like this.

If he is posting it, there is something there.

Dan Kelly

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2011, 03:52:47 PM »
From St. Paul Pioneer Press columnist Charley Walters, at http://www.twincities.com/twins/ci_19497476?IADID=Search-www.twincities.com-www.twincities.com:

"-- A little birdie says the financially challenged Windsong Farm golf club in suburban Minneapolis, after a meeting of the board of directors Wednesday night, is planning to restructure a hefty loan."

I'll give you more when the little birdies say more.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 03:56:09 PM by Dan Kelly »
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Mark Johnson

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2011, 12:05:39 AM »
I'd assuming that reducing its initiation fee (2nd highest in the metro after Spring Hill)  would be a step in the right direction.

John_Conley

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2011, 11:12:39 PM »
Mark, I don't think it was that high recently.

The club ceased operations.  If the golf course does make a comeback, it will no doubt be at a reasonable price point.

It's a terrific golf course, so I hope it has a future.  Fingers crossed.  I'd love to play it a second time.

Howard Riefs

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2011, 09:05:38 AM »
It's official. Details on Windsong Farm closing its doors:

http://www.startribune.com/local/west/135554893.html
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 12:27:18 PM by Howard Riefs »
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

John_Conley

"Everybody loves a comeback..." (that's my dog)
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2012, 06:34:47 PM »
Good news for fans of very good golf courses and great golf clubs....

+++

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
Independence, MN  Jan 17, 2012

WINDSONG FARM GOLF CLUB REORGANIZES AND CONTINUES
TRADITIONAL GOLF OPERATIONS WITH CURRENT PRIVATE MEMBERSHIP GROUP

Windsong Farm Golf Club announced today a recapitalization and continuation of the current membership group.  Windsong Farm Golf Club, as with a number of other private golf clubs across the country, have suffered financially due to the weak economy and overbuilt golf course situation.  The Windsong Farm Golf Club members voted last Saturday to sell the assets of Windsong Farm Golf Club to Fargo, ND businessman David Meyer.  In addition to renewing current memberships, Windsong Farm Golf Club is taking applications for a limited number of available golf memberships.

General Manager and PGA golf professional Jim Kidd says: “The overwhelming support and enthusiasm from the members for this reorganization is exciting.  The bottom line is that the members and their families want to continue to play golf at Windsong.  With this newly added financial stability, we can continue to preserve and build on the Windsong golf experience this season and for generations into the future.”   

New owner David Meyer states: “This is an outstanding championship golf course.  I am a golf traditionalist with roots in the area. There has been a lot of thought and hard work put into Windsong resulting in a tremendous amount of respect and praise from the golf community.  I am proud to be associated with the excellent staff and great group of members to continue the vision and legacy of Windsong Farm Golf Club.” 

“The members are elated.  Windsong is a special place and now we have a solid future.  Can’t wait for spring to get here,” says Steve Erickson, a current and original Windsong member.

Located just outside the Western Minneapolis suburbs, Windsong Farm Golf Club opened in 2003.  This 7380 Yard Par 71 Championship Course was designed by John Fought and Minnesota native Tom Lehman.  Windsong Farm Golf Club hosted the 2008 MGA State Amateur Championship, 2010 Big Ten Men’s Golf Championship, and the 2011 USGA Women’s Mid-Amateur Championship Sectional Qualifying.  Windsong Farm Golf Club was rated in the Top 100 Modern Golf Courses in 2010 by Golf Week Magazine.

Paul Jones

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2012, 09:09:26 PM »
That is great news !!! Looking forward to playing the course one day.
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2012, 01:55:08 PM »
Windsong is alive and well. I played it yesterday with John Crowley and Mark Mammel, two fans of classic golf course architecture and members of the Treehouse. The new owner is well positioned to handle the ups and downs of the current golf business climate, and the club has a lot of new members.

The course was in exceptionally good condition Tuesday. I had not played it before, but my understanding is they've pushed back some of the native grasses to make for wider playing corridors, allowing you to play for better angles to the elevated green complexes. It's still a tough golf course, but extremely playable and a walker's dream. Pro Jim Kidd said they'd like to gradually make the course look even more natural with a little less manicuring.

It's a definite plus for Twin Cities golf that Windsong Farm is back on sound footing.
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

PCCraig

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2012, 03:27:18 PM »
Windsong is alive and well. I played it yesterday with John Crowley and Mark Mammel, two fans of classic golf course architecture and members of the Treehouse. The new owner is well positioned to handle the ups and downs of the current golf business climate, and the club has a lot of new members.

The course was in exceptionally good condition Tuesday. I had not played it before, but my understanding is they've pushed back some of the native grasses to make for wider playing corridors, allowing you to play for better angles to the elevated green complexes. It's still a tough golf course, but extremely playable and a walker's dream. Pro Jim Kidd said they'd like to gradually make the course look even more natural with a little less manicuring.

It's a definite plus for Twin Cities golf that Windsong Farm is back on sound footing.

Thanks for the report Rick. Good to hear all is well out at Windsong.
H.P.S.

Jim Franklin

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2012, 03:55:04 PM »
Is that the same Jim Kidd that was at Sand Hills and Friars Head?
Mr Hurricane

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2012, 04:12:35 PM »
Is that the same Jim Kidd that was at Sand Hills and Friars Head?

Yes. His father Bill and grandfather Willie were head pros at Interlachen.
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back