News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jud_T

Above Kingsley
« on: May 07, 2012, 01:21:14 PM »
At the request of our intrepid pilot here are some iphone pics from yesterday.  Perhaps Bill, who left his camera in his golf bag, will favor us with some more...  I know Kingsley gets more coverage here than most courses outside of you-know-where, but how often do you get the chance to fly a couple thousand feet over one of your favorite tracks (even if it was overcast)?  Besides, we really needed to wake the guys in the shop  ;):

« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 01:29:32 PM by Jud Tigerman »
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Brian_Sleeman

Re: Above Kingsley
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 01:25:18 PM »
Good stuff, Jud, thanks for sharing.  Hope you guys had a great time up there.

Howard Riefs

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2012, 01:33:28 PM »
Great perspective. Photos #8 and #10 really show the enormity of the centerline on hole #1.
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Bill Seitz

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 01:39:43 PM »
http://youtu.be/n_wYP7htRRs

Short video of the flight over Kingsley.  Posting a link in the Downs thread as well.

The problem with taking pictures and videos is that the views are really much more stunning when you aren't looking through the screen on your phone.  I almost forgot to enjoy the real view. 

George Freeman

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 01:56:40 PM »
Great pics. Thanks guys!

#17 looks like she lost some weight  :'(
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Ben Sims

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2012, 04:51:37 PM »
Looked lower than a couple thousand feet Jud.  I'm guesing between 700-1000AGL.  Pretty solid roll rate, moving quick.

What kind of ride is that Bill?

Bill Seitz

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2012, 05:03:50 PM »
Looked lower than a couple thousand feet Jud.  I'm guesing between 700-1000AGL.  Pretty solid roll rate, moving quick.

What kind of ride is that Bill?

We were about 2,000 to 2,500 feet for Crystal Downs.  We were much closer to 1,000 feet or maybe less at Kingsley. 

Ben, we were ably flown by Barry Cohen, a guest of Jud's (and on GCA) in Cirrus aircraft, but Barry would be able to give you more of the specifics.  All I know is that Barry knows what he's doing, the plane took off and landed very smoothly, and it was a heck of a lot of fun to be a passenger. 

Jud_T

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2012, 05:53:21 PM »
Ben,

I think Bill's right.  We came in pretty low over Kingsley, since we had prior clearance from the Kingsley Tower 8).  I know we got an "Obstacle Ahead" warning about a radio tower that couldn't have been more than a few hundred feet high.  I think that's when Bill asked whether there was a spare pair of drawers aboard.  :-*  I've been fortunate enough to spend a fair amount of time in it and the plane rides very smooth.  I'll get Barry to respond more professionally with regards to the aircraft.  
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Ben Sims

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2012, 06:14:59 PM »
Thanks Jud.  As a guy that's used quite of bit of taxpayer procured JP8 to see golf courses, I appreciate this thread very much.  Seeing golf courses from the air can teach be very helpful in understanding them.

Michael George

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2012, 06:40:25 PM »
Jud:

Where are the overheads of Arcadia Bluffs?  ;)
"First come my wife and children.  Next comes my profession--the law. Finally, and never as a life in itself, comes golf" - Bob Jones

Bill Seitz

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2012, 06:50:35 PM »
Jud:

Where are the overheads of Arcadia Bluffs?  ;)

In seriousness, we planned to head over there.  We knew it was just down the coast from CD, but the weather was pretty iffy right around there, and the visibility probably wouldn't have been too great anyway.  I like Arcadia Bluffs, but probably not to the extent that I'd risk my life to see it from the air. :)

Barry Cohen

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2012, 07:24:06 PM »
We did crystal downs at 2500 msl, so roughly 1800feet AGL.  Headed east to Kingsley and dropped to 1700 MSL, roughly 1000AGL.  Terrain pretty flat, so no worries there, but did get that tower warning from my Garmin terrain system (although we were easily 300 feet above the top of the tower.  Roll rate about 40-45 degrees bank angle, which the SR22T handles very nicely.  Got to practice my steep level turns around a point, apply a little elevator up and add power.  Circled the downs at a TAS around 145knots, but dropped 50% flaps over Kingsley so we could circle at 110knots (and have a little extra cushion against a stall).

Barry Cohen

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2012, 07:30:56 PM »
As for Arcadia Bluffs, well the weather was deteriorating along the coast as the rain moved in, and while ceilings looked maybe OK, the combo of low vis and low altitude and MVFR made me postpone that flyover on this visit to the mild disappointment of my white knuckle passengers.

We also flew over a very well maintained grass field, with intersecting runways about 10nm due west of Kingsley, which may be an option on my next visit.

Ben Sims

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2012, 08:33:41 PM »
We did crystal downs at 2500 msl, so roughly 1800feet AGL.  Headed east to Kingsley and dropped to 1700 MSL, roughly 1000AGL.  Terrain pretty flat, so no worries there, but did get that tower warning from my Garmin terrain system (although we were easily 300 feet above the top of the tower.  Roll rate about 40-45 degrees bank angle, which the SR22T handles very nicely.  Got to practice my steep level turns around a point, apply a little elevator up and add power.  Circled the downs at a TAS around 145knots, but dropped 50% flaps over Kingsley so we could circle at 110knots (and have a little extra cushion against a stall)

Barry,

Thanks for reminding me how much I like flying.  I forget sometimes when I hang around here.  I looked at the SR22T, very cool runabout.  Impressive useful load for a single engine piston.  Maybe we'll get to fly one day in N. Michigan.

Chris_Hufnagel

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2012, 08:42:57 PM »
Very cool and thanks for posting...#9 looks positively benign from up there...

Jon Heise

« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2012, 11:41:04 PM »
Super cool!
I still like Greywalls better.

JC Jones

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2012, 04:09:16 PM »
I'm flying high, over Tupelo Mississippi, with the hottest band in America, and we're all about to die.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Ben Attwood

« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2012, 07:36:45 AM »
Great perspective. Photos #8 and #10 really show the enormity of the centerline on hole #1.

Great pictures guys, thanks. I really loved my visit there, even though I was only able to play the front 9. What a course! From my memory the first fairway midline bunker wasn't really in play (quite easy to carry it). There was no wind but it seemed like the tee should be 50yards back. Is this the case or does it come into play often?

Jud_T

« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2012, 08:13:42 AM »
What tees did you play Ben?  The bunkers are very much in play for all but the longest hitters from the tips.  Not sure what the carry is but I'd guess 250+.  It also often plays into the breeze.

Ben Attwood

« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2012, 08:45:35 AM »
What tees did you play Ben?  The bunkers are very much in play for all but the longest hitters from the tips.  Not sure what the carry is but I'd guess 250+.  It also often plays into the breeze.

I'm pretty sure I played the tips but maybe I was mistaken. There was no wind when I played and I do carry it 250 but I just remember wishing I had to choose either side of the bunker rather than fly it. Man I wish I could play that course again.

Jud_T

« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2012, 09:45:46 AM »
The back tee is actually right next to the practice putting green and plays more uphill than the members tee up on the hill.  The right side is the only real option from there.  Most likely you played the member tees.  It's 602 from the tips vs. 568 from the member tees. 

Ben Attwood

« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2012, 10:06:40 AM »
The back tee is actually right next to the practice putting green and plays more uphill than the members tee up on the hill.  The right side is the only real option from there.  Most likely you played the member tees.  It's 602 from the tips vs. 568 from the member tees. 

Yes, I played the one up on the hill. So the bunker would be in play if it was into a wind or catching a pull if you were playing from the tips. I only played it that one day but it seems like the choice would be greater if there was a tee further back on the hill. Mind you, if you carried the trouble then the ball gets some extra roll. It's a superb opener either way.

Jud_T

« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2012, 02:21:49 PM »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back