News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us.

Mark Saltzman

The Best 18 Holes in Ontario, Canada -- Hole 9 Posted
« on: September 12, 2012, 09:45:00 PM »
Just one man's opinion...

The Best 18 Holes in Ontario

Hole 1: Lookout Point Country Club -- Par 4, 423 Yards

The perfect combination of forgiveness and demand can be found at Lookout Point's 1st.  The view of Niagara Falls in the distance is stunning and the extra seconds of hang time on your tee shot is thrilling.  Still, Walter Travis' nasty bunkers await an errant tee shot, and one of many severely tilted greens will punish those that don't spend enough time on the putting green.  There is no better way to start a round of golf in Ontario than to play Lookout Point's 1st.

Honourable Mentions: Rocky Crest, Heron Point, Devil's Pulpit

Hole 2: Devil's Paintbrush Golf Course -- Par 5, 468 Yards

Devil's Paintbrush is the best modern golf course in Ontario, and it's short par-5 2nd may be its most interesting hole.  A visually daunting tee shot with a bunker of epic scale guarding the right side of the fairway.  Those successfully finding the fairway are left to decide whether or not to take on the massive centreline feature guarding the green and give the green in two a go.  Finding the green, though, is no guarantee of a two-putt, or even a three-putt really, as the 50,000 sq ft double green rolls in a way that would make Perry Maxwell blush!

Honourable Mentions: Kawartha, Ridge at Manitou, Burlington, Lakeview, St George's

Hole 3: Muskoka Bay Club -- Par 4, 399 Yards

On a golf course known for its bold features and difficult, the third hole may be the most subtle hole on the golf course (and it's by far my favourite!).  The hole flows perfectly with the rolling terrain and architect Doug Carrick has cleverly routed the hole such that the tee shot is played over a diagonal ridge.  Carrying the ridge on the bold line to the left leaves a much shorter approach, but fail to carry the ridge and the golfer is faced with a very difficult blind approach.

Honourable Mentions: Osprey Valley (Hoot), Georgian Bay Club, Bigwin Island, Toronto, Hamilton, Lookout Point, Rocky Crest, Deerhurst

Hole 4: Toronto Golf Club -- Par 3, 190 Yards

Martin Hawtree recently completed a sympathetic restoration at Toronto Golf Club, but I was very happy to see that he had the good sense to the leave the 4th hole alone.  In a clever piece of routing, Harry Colt set the green just steps over a diagonal ridge on a piece of ground that tilts not-so-subtly away from the tee.  Though some par-3s will intimidate golfers with water, bunkers and OB, the 4th is as tough a par-3 as there is in Ontario.

Honourable Mentions: St George's, The National, Beacon Hall, Coppinwood, Legacy Ridge, Osprey Valley (Heathlands), Oviinbyrd, Twenty Valley, Rosedale

Hole 5: Weston G&CC -- Par 4, 424 Yards

In a bold piece of routing, Willie Park Jr's 5th at Weston plays up and over a rise in the fairway before heading downhill and crossing a stream.  The tee shot is a demanding one, requiring either a bold carry over a dip in the fairway on the left, or a tee shot near the bunkers on the right, from where the golfer will have a blind approach.  The green is simple in shape and contour, but its steep back-to-front tilt fits well with the land and ensures that only a precisely placed approach will leave a simple putt.

Honourable Mentions: Hamilton, Beacon Hall, Allandale, Bond Head (North), Lookout Point, St George's, Osprey Valley (Heathlands), Port Carling, Mad River, Couchiching, Grandview

Hole 6: Port Carling -- Par 3, 173 Yards

A stunning (and difficult) par-3 with the green set at angle to the tee over a gorge that runs down into Marion Lake.  With a bit of wind only a precise tee shot will find this narrow green.  A steep diagonal ridge 1/3 the way back makes finding the right portion of the green essential.

Honourable Mentions: Kawartha, Lookout Point, Bigwin Island, Coppinwood, Rosedale, Grand Niagara, Rocky Crest, Mad River

Hole 7: Oviinbyrd Golf Club -- Par 4, 482 Yards

A perfect use of land in an ideal setting.  The beauty of the 7th hole at Oviinbyrd Golf Club may disarm the golfer, but he must stay focused to have any hope of making par on this monster par-4.  Fortunately, the hole normally plays downwind, and the golfer may be able to make use of two speed-slots down the left-centre of the fairway.  While the fairway is generous, the approach calls for precision as an aerial approach is required unless the golfer can fit a draw up the right side of the green.  Heck, getting pin high in 2 is a feat in itself.

Honourable Mentions: St George's, Toronto, Deerhurst, Devil's Pulpit, Scarboro, Essex, The National

Hole 8: The Summit G&CC -- Par 4, 412 Yards

A stunning downhill par-4, played to a fairway that lays between tilted and impressive landforms.  Admittedly, I'd like to see the mowing lines widened, but the movement in the fairway and the semi-blind drop-down green reminds me of the 13th at Thompson's Highlands Links.  The perfect combination of beauty, demand and quirk!

Honourable Mentions: Uplands, Bracebridge, St George's, Devil's Pulpit, Oviinbyrd, Scarboro, Osprey Valley (Heathlands), Cobble Beach, Wyndance

Hole 9: Bigwin Island Golf Club -- Par 4, 403 Yards

Though the 6th and 18th holes at Bigwin Island are the most photographed, I believe the 9th hole is the most interesting hole on the golf course.  Carrick, paying tribute to Willie Park Jr and C.B. Macdonald, has designed a clever 'bottle' hole, where the golfer must decide whether to take on the left-side carry for the ideal line, or whether to bail-out right to leave a difficult approach over deep greenside bunkering.  The 9th at Bigwin is a hole that is fun to play over and over!

Wayne_Kozun

Re: The Best 18 Holes in Ontario, Canada -- Hole 9 Posted
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2012, 12:26:43 AM »
You don't mention this specifically but wouldn't you consider #4 at Toronto GC to be a bunkerless Redan.

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2012, 07:29:06 AM »
Wayne, the member I played with called it a redan, but I'm not sure there's any kick-plate.  Can you land it right of the green and have it kick on?

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2012, 07:31:37 AM »
How about Glen Abbey #13?

Mark McKeever

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2012, 07:50:03 AM »
Awesome tour Mark.  Keep it up!

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Terry Lavin

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2012, 10:57:02 AM »
Clearly, a trip to Ontario is long overdue for this Chicago golfer.  How about a GCA three-day based in Toronto, Mr. Saltzman?
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2012, 03:58:26 PM »
Clearly, a trip to Ontario is long overdue for this Chicago golfer.  How about a GCA three-day based in Toronto, Mr. Saltzman?

Sounds good, but you could spend a lot more than 3 days playing good golf around Toronto! 

Garland Bayley

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2012, 04:23:57 PM »

Sounds good, but you could spend a lot more than 3 days playing good golf around Toronto! 

I thought perhaps Terry was suggesting a Saltzmans Driver as opposed to a Kings Putter, a Canuck Cup as opposed to a Dixie Cup, or a Northern Spoon as opposed to a Midwest Mashie.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2012, 04:27:13 PM »

I thought perhaps Terry was suggesting a Saltzmans Driver as opposed to a Kings Putter, a Canuck Cup as opposed to a Dixie Cup, or a Northern Spoon as opposed to a Midwest Mashie.

That works too.  If there's interest, I'm happy to try to coordinate something.

Ian Andrew

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2012, 03:48:59 PM »
Mark,

For fun:

1. Lookout Point - middle 4
2. St. George's Golf & Country Club - long 4
3. Hamilton Golf & Country Club - middle 4
4. National Golf Club - long 5
5. Weston Golf & Country Club - long 4
6. Kawartha Golf & Country Club long 3
7. Scarboro Golf & Country Club - short 4
8. Uplands Golf Club - long 3
9. Maple Downs Golf & Country Club - short 5
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 03:51:49 PM by Ian Andrew »
With every golf development bubble, the end was unexpected and brutal....

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2012, 06:48:41 PM »
Wayne, the member I played with called it a redan, but I'm not sure there's any kick-plate.  Can you land it right of the green and have it kick on?
Just a very subtle kick plate but short right is the aiming spot for the hole and it does tilt the right way.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2012, 08:05:50 PM »
Actually come to think of it, why isn't Toronto on the Midwest Mashie Rota? Maybe you should get together with the organizers of the Midwest Mashie for the event. After all, Kings Putter went to Sagebrush in BC.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Sean_A

Re: The Best 18 Holes in Ontario, Canada -- Hole 9 Posted New
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2012, 05:02:22 AM »
Mark

I can see you becoming the Joe Bausch of Ontario golf - an area I know little about.  Regarding the first photo, surely it must be excluded on the grounds that its trees and bunkers being in a tangled mess.  This is one of the worst configurations of trees, rough and sand that I have ever seen. I know Canadians likes to think of themselves as underdogs, but no free rides - tee hee.

Ciao  
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 06:08:28 AM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2012, 12:04:23 PM »
I haven't played Lookout but I think Sean has a point.  The "fairway" bunkers are more than 10 yards into the rough and it looks like the line to the green from the bunkers would be obstructed by the trees.

Gary Slatter

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2012, 05:08:52 PM »
Great work Mark!  and the first at Lookout is an excellent choice.  I keep forgetting how good Ontario golf is, and under played too!
 I like Donalda's 1st too, and Mad River's 2nd. and St George's 3rd, the National's 4th, St George's 5th, .......Islington's 10th...Ancaster's 18th.
There are so many great holes, both private and public.   Thanks. 
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back