News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jason Hines

Kansas City Region - GCA Get Together 4/28 - UPDATE
« on: April 07, 2012, 08:40:09 AM »
Kansas City Region - GCA Get Together 4/28

This is a reposting and a reminder that our inaugural event is only three weeks out.  Our goal and intent is to discuss the GCA topics that the rest of our golfing pals roll their eyes at during our regular morning foursomes.  The other potential goal is to discover and explore the courses in our own back yard which includes, Nebraska, Kansas and Western Missouri.

Brandon Urban is stepping up as our host at the Lawrence Country Club at 2pm on 4/28.  The Lawrence CC was opened in 1914 and originally design by Robert Peebles and went through a major renovation in 2006.  We are looking at 18 holes and discussion afterwards.

Anyone is welcome, PM or post.

Jason Hines
Olathe, KS
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 10:05:31 PM by Jason Hines »

Steve Strasheim

Re: Kansas City Region - GCA Get Together 4/28
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012, 08:44:01 AM »
Nice to see this posted.

Although I can't attend, I look forward to meeting up with you folks one of these days.

Jason Hines

Re: Kansas City Region - GCA Get Together 4/28 - UPDATE New
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2012, 10:04:56 PM »
Update and follow up:  We had to delay our NEK (Northeast Kansas) WEMO (Western Missouri), Nebraska GCA.com Brotherhood get together by 1 day and venue.  The Lawrence Country Club was hosting the Big 12 Women’s Championship this weekend so our 18 Holes took place at Shadow Glen Golf Club in Olathe, KS.

The morning started off with howling rain and temperatures in the upper 40’s low 50’s that cleared off 45 minutes before tee time.  In true spring time Kansas fashion, we slogged through thick puddles on the clay soil based, zoysia fairways.  Several tee balls landed with a splash and on some approach and chip shots, you needed to close your mouth as to block the water, grass and mud.  The wind would come and go as well as the humidity, sun, heat and cold breeze from the north by the time we finished.

Topics discussed:

Prairie Dunes
Chisholm Trail
Ballyneal
Dismal River/5th Major
Sand Hills
Wild Horse
Lake of the Ozarks
Kansas City Private Clubs
Lawrence Country Club
Why Frank Martin left KSU’s basketball program
Golf as a business
Why our regular golf buddies are either nuts or actually sane

Looking forward to our next get together.

Daryn Soldan from the high, right rough on the par 5 #2.

The par 3 #4, 125 yards, balls tend to ricochet off of limestone.

Daryn and Brandon Urban on rolling/tiered #16 green.

Daryn tee shot on the par 5, dog leg left #18.  (Daryn hit driver, wedge for an eagle putt)

Brandon's tee shot on the par 5, dog leg left #18.

Looking forward to the next meeting.

Jason
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 11:02:01 PM by Jason Hines »

Ronald Montesano

Re: Kansas City Region - GCA Get Together 4/28 - UPDATE
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2012, 10:14:32 PM »
That is one righteous-angle dogleg on #18. Can you cut the corner?
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Brandon Urban

Re: Kansas City Region - GCA Get Together 4/28 - UPDATE
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2012, 10:24:59 PM »
What a great day. I was pretty sure when I woke up that there was no way we would be playing golf in the afternoon with torrential downpours dousing the area, but Jason threaded a needle with planning the tee time at 2:00.
It was great meeting, as my wife calls them, "internet golf friends". Jason was a gracious host and Daryn plays a game with which I am unfamiliar. Shadow Glen was a fun test which I am sure is even more fun when the Russian judge isn't giving your ball a 9.8 upon entering the fairway pools.
It was great to talk to other guys about architecture, remote golf clubs, fairway grasses and small towns in Kansas and Nebraska.
I am really looking forward to the next get together and hope we can bring more guys from the area to join in.

Ronald,
Daryn hit driver, WEDGE on the par 5 18th, so yes, it's possible, but you better hit it a long damn way!
181 holes at Ballyneal on June, 19th, 2017. What a day and why I love golf - http://www.hundredholehike.com/blogs/181-little-help-my-friends

Jason Hines

Re: Kansas City Region - GCA Get Together 4/28 - UPDATE New
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2012, 10:33:44 PM »
That is one righteous-angle dogleg on #18. Can you cut the corner?

Hi Ronald,

I can’t but an actual golfer can cut the corner.....

The front, left bunker is 225 from the tee and the back side bunker is 255 and I tend to find myself usually in one of them.

Jason
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 11:04:21 PM by Jason Hines »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back