News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Phil McDade

Practice Day at the Ryder Cup at Medinah CC
« on: September 27, 2012, 11:23:44 AM »
Thanks to the kind generosity of a GCA contributor, I was able to take in Wednesday's Ryder Cup practice day at Medinah CC. Some images:

Welcome to the Ryder Cup; this is actually a golf hole on one of Medinah's three courses.

Getting the stage ready for the ceremonies; this, too, used to be a golf hole.

Another fairway lost...

The iconic Medinah clubhouse, jam-packed with fans.

Feherty, doing his shtick.

Players will move off the putting green, right, and head up the stairs and across a bridge that goes over the main walkway near the clubhouse. They exit the bridge right on the first tee. Whoever conceived this idea deserves a medal; great theater.

The most laid-back man in America.

Off to work: Mickelson, Bradley, Dufner and Zach Johnson, and a bunch of others, head down the 1st fairway in their understated red slacks.

Scoreboards around the course listed the foursomes out practicing for each team.

Don't get lost.

The corporate tents lining the 1st fairway.

This may be the largest temporary structure I've ever seen. Does Davis Love III have that many friends?

Practicing on the 17th green.

Tiger and Kuchar, working on their sand games behind the 17th green.

Lee Westwood, working on his putting.

Furyk and Fluff, and some practice putting thingy.

Sergio, looking for his tree.

Don't forget your Ryder Cup memorabilia -- in the football-field-sized :o golf shop.

A word about logistics: This is an enormous enterprise. I attended the 2004 PGA at Whistling Straits, and it was big, but this is enormous. Kudos to Medinah and its members for all of their work in serving as hosts.

PCCraig

Re: Practice Day at the Ryder Cup at Medinah CC
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2012, 12:00:26 PM »
Great photos, thanks Phil. What an operation.

I do have to say the trees on the course really do seem thinned out a bunch.
H.P.S.

Phil McDade

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2012, 12:06:51 PM »
Pat:

Hoping to post more photos of the actual course in a bit here....

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2012, 02:10:47 PM »
77 corporate tents over various sizes, plus three "Captain's Club" deals, including the two-story one Phil pictured, plus other hospitality in the clubhouse, and a big NBC corporate tent behind 13 tee, and the international pavilion, which is bigger than the merchandise tent. Said to be the biggest golf setup ever (49 acres under plywood/roof). Has to be bringing in more money than the four majors combined this year, aside from TV rights.
The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back