News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brent Hutto

Re: Myrtle Beach Trip
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2010, 05:17:11 PM »
But can someone please tell me why when visitors come to Scotland the travel to all parts of the country to play different courses when they could do as you suggest ? I suppose it comes down to your tolerance on how far you will travel for a game, assuming one game in a day. 70 to 100 miles doesn't seem totally excessive particularly if you take the 100 miles each way as an extreme. If a course fires your imagination your going to play it.

Beats the heck out of me. My only trip (so far!) to Scotland we settled in for five nights at Dornoch, playing the courses there with side trips to Brora and Golspie. Then I stopped off at Pitlochry for a couple days on the way to Glasgow for the flight home. That was more than enough driving in an eight-day trip for me. This year in England I took the train from the airport to Deal with a stop for a few hours to play Crowborough Beacon halfway in between. Then the train back to the airport after playing at Princes, Deal and Sandwich. That seemed Just About Right!

Ted Cahill

« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2010, 07:20:34 PM »
Are you searching for someone to rescue you or a recommendation for post-trip counseling?

That is one of the funnier comments I have read on the DG
“Bandon Dunes is like Chamonix for skiers or the
North Shore of Oahu for surfers,” Rogers said. “It is
where those who really care end up.”

Germain Pepin

« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2010, 07:42:22 AM »
All those mentionned are great places to play. If you are fortunate enough to know a member there, you can select also Wachesaw Plantation.

Sev K-H Keil

« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2010, 08:15:54 AM »
I certainly second Caledonia and True Blue --- great Mike Strantz duo that's not to be overlooked.

Yannick Pilon

« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2010, 03:50:25 PM »
Avoid the fried seafood!

Avoiding fried seafood in Myrtle is a tough as avoiding boobs in a strip club.  If you are not comfortable with fried seafood, I would recommend finding another destination!! ;D

YP
www.yannickpilongolf.com - Golf Course Architecture, Quebec, Canada

Matt_Ward

« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2010, 03:56:31 PM »
Jim D:

Myrtle Beach.

Why ?

If you do go head to Pawley's Island although I now hear it's private but likely accessible, The Dunes is always a good choice ditto what others have mentioned on Caledonia and True Blue, plus Tidewater and TPC Myrtle Beach -- there are a few others but I'd recommend making a short alternate visit to Chareslton. Packs more of the top tier layouts.

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2010, 06:33:57 AM »
Jim D:

Myrtle Beach.

Why ?

If you do go head to Pawley's Island although I now hear it's private but likely accessible, The Dunes is always a good choice ditto what others have mentioned on Caledonia and True Blue, plus Tidewater and TPC Myrtle Beach -- there are a few others but I'd recommend making a short alternate visit to Chareslton. Packs more of the top tier layouts.

Matt,
Without rehashing debates of the past, would you agree that the top tier of courses in Charleston, even if as numerous, are both pricier and more likely to be private than similar courses on the Strand?  Access is much more of an issue in Charleston.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Dan_Callahan

« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2012, 02:49:30 PM »
I spent a few days last week in Myrtle Beach. I hadn't been there since about 2005, and boy have things changed. The recession really did a number on the place.

My first stop was the Legends resort. I had played Heathland and Parkland before and really liked the courses and the practice facility (which was really what I was looking for). The resort was absolutely packed with what I would describe as a less-than-desirable crowd. I don't want to be a jerk, but these were golfers who give golf a bad name. Dropping cigarette butts all over the place, yelling to each other across the parking lot, wheeling in coolers of beer.

The practice facility at Legends, which I remembered as being really nice, was beat to hell. At the driving range, I was hitting balls off dirt from a downhill lie. Ugly.

That night, I searched online and found out that Grande Dunes has a good range. So I drove there the next day. For $20, it was all the balls I could hit all day. There was only one other person there. They also have a great chipping and short-game area. I was very impressed. After a few hours, I noticed that hardy anyone had teed off. After my experience at legends, I assumed I couldn't play without a tee time. But I went in and asked the pro, and he said he could send me out no problem. Because I wasn't a guest, it was $119 to play, but he took of the $20 I had aleady paid for the range since that was included in the tee time. Couldn't have been a nicer guy. I told him about my experience at Legends, and he said that periodically they run specials that includes breakfast, lunch, 2 beers and a round of golf for $19.99!!!!!! No wonder it was so crowded.

As for the course at Grande Dunes, it wasn't bad at all. Nothing spectacular about the architecture, but nothing terrible either. It was a very good warmup course for someone who hasn't touched a club since the fall. I played it from the blue tees at 6,700 yards and never felt overwhelmed. Some nice par 3s, and there was even a little elevation change here and there.

The only hole I didn't like was the 17th, a par 5 with a very, very tight drive. It's a long, straight hole with cart path down the right and water down the left. Blah.

The tee shot on 18 wasn't great either, with some trees kind of blocking the left side. Not terrible, but not in keeping with the openness of the rest of the course. The second shot on 18 was nice, however.

Anyway, as someone who hadn't been to Myrtle in a while, I now know to stay the away from Legends in March. If I go back next year, I'll look to stay at the marina at Grande Dunes and use their great practice facility to get ready for spring golf in New England.

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2012, 05:23:06 PM »
Dan--

It's been a great winter business-wise here in Myrtle Beach, given the warmer-than-usual weather.  A lot of golf courses have received more play than they anticipated, which may at least partially explain the well-used range over at Legends.

Where else did you play on your trip? Just Heathland and Parkland and Grande Dunes?  Were the courses at Legends in good shape?  I haven't played them in a while; I think all three are very solid (I know people will disagree on the P.B. Dye Moorland course).
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2012, 07:51:48 PM »
Forget the fancy places try Mr. Fish for seafood - just a little joint in a strip mall that is really good.  Fried greens tomatoes are unique.

I would highly recommend the 3 Barefoot courses previously mentioned - not the Norman.  Some really good holes and even some elevation changes.

Keith OHalloran

« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2012, 09:21:25 PM »
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 08:19:51 AM by Keith OHalloran »

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2012, 09:40:46 PM »
The only course worth going to in Myrtle is The Dunes Golf And Beach club. The only club worth going to is The Masters.

Keith,
I'm sure you wrote this in haste, at least I hope so.

9 of the 15 courses in Golfweek's best in state list for SC are on the Strand, along with 3 of the top 15 in NC.  By Golfweek's estimation (and mine) The Dunes, though a great golf course, isn't even the best course at Myrtle; Caledonia is.

I don't know, of course, where else you have played, but there is some great golf there.  If you factor in public access, proximity, and price I'd be curious to know where you could beat the volume of good courses at Myrtle.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Keith OHalloran

« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2012, 10:26:09 PM »
Sorry, I don't consider Caledonia Myrtle Beach.  I will give you that, but quantity does not mean quality. You may have the opportunity to play a ton of courses, but that does not mean they are good courses.

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2012, 06:49:42 AM »
Sorry, I don't consider Caledonia Myrtle Beach.  I will give you that, but quantity does not mean quality. You may have the opportunity to play a ton of courses, but that does not mean they are good courses.

Caledonia, True Blue, The Dunes, Tidewater, TPC MB, Barefoot Love & Barefoot Dye, Heathland, Grande Dunes, River's Edge, Tiger's Eye, and Leopard's Chase are all considered to be excellent.  I'd add others; Thistle, Pearl West, Glen Dornoch, Pawley's Plantation, Parkland, Oyster Bay, and Shaftesbury Glen are some personal favorites.

That's a lot of good courses in a reasonably compact area at reasonable prices without access issues.  There is also very mundane, run of the mill GCA at MB, but you do the area a disservice if you discount the quality of the top twenty or so courses.

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2012, 07:45:06 AM »
Keith--

I now live in Pawleys Island and work in Myrtle Beach and am peripherally involved in the golf and golf course industry around here.  If you venture back this way, let me know and I'd be happy to advise on the golf side.

A.G.'s list of courses is good and very agreeable.  I would add Heritage to that top tier and I live at Pawleys Plantation and am a homer.  There are also Wachesaw Plantation (Tom Fazio, where Mike Strantz was his foreman, I believe) and The Reserve (Greg Norman; one of the best second-shot golf courses I've played).  Those two are private, but not incredibly tough to access.

Myrtle Beach has always had a certain unsavory image in people's minds and while there certainly are unsavory parts, the whole is pretty darn good and improving all the time.  I've been coming here since I was very young and can sense a positive change.  It isn't all schlock, in golf or in general.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

jeffwarne

« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2012, 08:40:59 AM »

Caledonia, True Blue, The Dunes, Tidewater, TPC MB, Barefoot Love & Barefoot Dye, Heathland, Grande Dunes, River's Edge, Tiger's Eye, and Leopard's Chase are all considered to be excellent.  I'd add others; Thistle, Pearl West, Glen Dornoch, Pawley's Plantation, Parkland, Oyster Bay, and Shaftesbury Glen are some personal favorites.

That's a lot of good courses in a reasonably compact area at reasonable prices without access issues.  There is also very mundane, run of the mill GCA at MB, but you do the area a disservice if you discount the quality of the top twenty or so courses.

+1
Easy access, good courses, good prices.
Who cares if there are 100 bad courses?
All you need are 3-8 good to very good courses to make a great trip and they easily have way more than that,
Plenty to do for all ages at Myrtle.
I'm a fan.

In addition to all those listed, I enjoyed Heathlands Legends a lot. From Dan's description it sounds like my kind've place now ;) ;)
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Jud_T

« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2012, 09:22:16 AM »
Legends Heathland is not to be missed if you're in the area IMO.  Shows that either Doak was an idiot savant or he had a pretty good idea what he was doing from very early on (fyi- I wouldn't play the other two courses at the resort again unless I had a gun to my head.  Probably one of the biggest boneheaded owner/developer gaffes in recent history, but that's for another thread).  And don't forget to stop here:

http://hogheaveninc.com/

Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Brad Wilbur

« Reply #42 on: March 23, 2012, 03:13:54 PM »
In Myrtle right now, and have to echo the previous comment about Hog Heaven.  It was about a 5 minute drive from Heritage, and almost embarrassingly cheap.    I have added Thistle and Dunes to my Myrtle resume this trip   Growing up playing Thinking Man's Guide to Golf board game made playing Waterloo (13 at Dunes) an anticipated event.  Unfortunately a snap hook into the trees made the bogey much like when I played the board game.  True Blue still my favorite course here and one of my all-time favorites. 

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #43 on: March 23, 2012, 04:09:09 PM »
In Myrtle right now, and have to echo the previous comment about Hog Heaven.  It was about a 5 minute drive from Heritage, and almost embarrassingly cheap.    I have added Thistle and Dunes to my Myrtle resume this trip   Growing up playing Thinking Man's Guide to Golf board game made playing Waterloo (13 at Dunes) an anticipated event.  Unfortunately a snap hook into the trees made the bogey much like when I played the board game.  True Blue still my favorite course here and one of my all-time favorites. 

I'm glad to hear from somebody that likes True Blue; I love the place.  I always play Caledonia and True Blue on the same day, and I've come to think of them as equals, if completely different.

Personal opinion is that if people play TB from the correct tees (3rd set for even most single digits) they love the place.  If they take on too much yardage, it becomes much too tough.  But every hole is just cool, IMO.  Caledonia is a thing of stately beauty; True Blue is a roller coaster ride.  And the same guy designed them, across the street from one another.  It is one of the top artistic achievements I have ever seen.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back