News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sven Nilsen

Aptos/Rio del Mar/Seascape - Locke, MacKenzie and Hunter
« on: November 15, 2016, 11:22:51 PM »
In 1925, a firm out of San Francisco purchased a large parcel of land in Aptos for a big real estate play.  As part of the development, Aptos Beach and Country Club was started with Willie Locke in charge of construction.  Shortly after construction began on the course, the name was changed to Rio del Mar Golf & Country Club.

All articles are from the Santa Cruz Evening News.

April 9, 1925

April 15, 1925

May 30, 1925

March 20, 1926

The full 18 hole course was completed in 1928.

March 12, 1928

In 1929, MacKenzie and Hunter were reported as being linked to remodeling efforts at the course.

Dec. 24, 1929

Work did place on the course subsequent to the date of the article above.  Although I can find no further mentions of MacKenzie and Hunter's involvement, it appears likely that the efforts taken were under their advice.

April 5, 1930

"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

John Cowden

Re: Aptos/Rio del Mar/Seascape - Locke, MacKenzie and Hunter
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2016, 10:38:53 AM »
Not too surprising since Mackenzie lived only ten miles away.  The terrain at Seascape is pleasantly rolling and sand-based, located just above the beach (no view). 

Adam Clayman

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2016, 09:29:25 AM »
I can't read the news print but, Why is there no mention of Marion Hollins? Aptos was supposedly her baby.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2016, 08:13:10 PM »
I can't read the news print but, Why is there no mention of Marion Hollins? Aptos was supposedly her baby.

Adam:

Rio del Mar was not a Marion Hollins project.

Sven
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Joshua Pettit

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2016, 07:19:14 PM »
Thanks for the articles Sven.  I was there maybe 2 years ago, found this sitting on the floor in the back of the clubhouse:

"The greatest and fairest of things are done by nature, and the lesser by art."

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back