News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

George Pazin

Re: CB Macdonald, The National, Pete Dye, and Sand Hills
« Reply #50 on: February 28, 2012, 04:05:25 PM »
Thanks, Tom, that's what I hoped/expected to hear.

I've always felt people who strive to be different for its own sake are falling for the same trap as those who follow the leaders. I didn't think Pete Dye would fall into either category. Terrific story about PB, also, it would be great if everyone in life followed that model, but that's not happening, at least not until we hit the Bill & Ted's Utopia stage.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #51 on: February 28, 2012, 04:10:57 PM »

Pete has always said he admired Mr. Jones' work, and if you look at some of his very early courses, like Radrick Farms, you can see the influence of Jones and Dick Wilson.

But what he said about Palmetto Dunes was that he didn't see how golf could KEEP GOING in that direction -- which I took to mean longer and harder and fairer [and especially longer].  And that it didn't make sense to try to take something even further than the other guys were taking it.  He wanted to explore a different way to skin the cat.

Tom,

I've only played Radrick once (a number of years ago now), but I don't recall a distinct Jones and/or Wilson influence. Just curious why you say that? What is it there, at Radrick, that makes you think of Jones' and/or Wilson's influence?

And, isn't it a tad ironic now that Mr. Dye is often accused of taking the game in 'that direction' - particularly with regard to length; and, many have said, difficulty?
jeffmingay.com

Matt Kardash

« Reply #52 on: February 28, 2012, 05:33:45 PM »

Pete has always said he admired Mr. Jones' work, and if you look at some of his very early courses, like Radrick Farms, you can see the influence of Jones and Dick Wilson.

But what he said about Palmetto Dunes was that he didn't see how golf could KEEP GOING in that direction -- which I took to mean longer and harder and fairer [and especially longer].  And that it didn't make sense to try to take something even further than the other guys were taking it.  He wanted to explore a different way to skin the cat.

Tom,

I've only played Radrick once (a number of years ago now), but I don't recall a distinct Jones and/or Wilson influence. Just curious why you say that? What is it there, at Radrick, that makes you think of Jones' and/or Wilson's influence?

And, isn't it a tad ironic now that Mr. Dye is often accused of taking the game in 'that direction' - particularly with regard to length; and, many have said, difficulty?

I guess it is because when Pete Dye first started out his courses were obviously not very old, so technology wasn't making them obsolete. Now that he has been around designing courses for 50 years he looks back on holes he designed 30 years ago that used to be driver-3 iron and are now driver-wedge. I can understand the paranoia that it might cause, especially since Pete Dye often designs courses that will host professional touraments.
the interviewer asked beck how he felt "being the bob dylan of the 90's" and beck quitely responded "i actually feel more like the bon jovi of the 60's"

Kalen Braley

« Reply #53 on: February 28, 2012, 05:34:13 PM »
Tom,

Looks like someone has already been up to some hijinks...this appears on your page now.

"Other

Tom Doak also loves cheeseburgers, long walks on the beach, and his fans."

I've been tempted to get a wiki login for awhile now.  Maybe I'll get one so I can help maintain these wiki pages as golf architecture becomes more and more popular.

Ben Sims

« Reply #54 on: February 28, 2012, 06:06:38 PM »
See, like I said. More accurate than Encyclopedia Britannica! :)

Tom_Doak

« Reply #55 on: February 28, 2012, 06:56:52 PM »

Tom,

Jeff:

I'm sure you have been to Radrick Farms since I was there ... you were probably a toddler when I was there!  I just saw it as long and lean and somewhat reminiscent of Jones ... not in the bunker styling, but in the strategy and the modern clean lines of it.  But, it's been 25-30 years now.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #56 on: February 28, 2012, 07:53:40 PM »
Tom, in thinking about that Palmetto Dunes story, do you think Pete was driven to simply be different, or that he didn't like the prevailing ideas of the times? Or a bit of both?

But what he said about Palmetto Dunes was that he didn't see how golf could KEEP GOING in that direction -- which I took to mean longer and harder and fairer [and especially longer].  And that it didn't make sense to try to take something even further than the other guys were taking it.  He wanted to explore a different way to skin the cat.

P.S. to Bill:  If someone here wants to edit my Wikipedia page, they can go for it.  I would feel very weird trying to write my own biography or trying to control what others think of me.  I am pretty sure Mr. Dye has not worked on his own Wikipedia page, either.

Just kidding!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back