News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dean DiBerardino

Mystery NLE “Walk-Off” Hole?
« on: February 25, 2012, 03:24:25 PM »
Can anyone identify the hole below? Also, do you know the story behind the hole?

Below is an aerial of the hole from 1960.

Below are two images taken from near the teeing area in January of 2012.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 03:48:16 PM by Dean DiBerardino »

Kyle Harris

Re: Mystery NLE “Walk-Off” Hole?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 04:21:42 PM »
I won't give it up, but I think it's at a resort where the architect lived and used the hole to complete a loop starting from his back yard?

Chris Buie

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 04:28:35 PM »
I grew up practicing on that hole. That would be the Tuft's house beyond the green. 40 yards behind the practice tee is the 9th green on a course called Pinehurst No. 2.  
The road was not there when I was a kid. They put that in for the houses on No. 7 Course.
The area where No. 7 was subsequently built was just an overgrown area when I was young. As children we would play out there - and occasionally stumble across bunkers which were left over from the ancient employees course.
When people play No. 7 they are puzzled as to why there are bunkers on one of the tee boxes. It's because when they built the course they thought it would be amusing to keep a few of those remnants around.
http://www.sandhillsinsider.com/7traps.html
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 04:34:22 PM by Chris Buie »

Dean DiBerardino

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 04:30:27 PM »
I won't give it up, but I think it's at a resort where the architect lived and used the hole to complete a loop starting from his back yard?

Kyle:

I'm certain you are correct about the location. I think the hole was built for one of the architects "bosses" though. BTW, from Google Earth, the architects cottage is about 450 yards from the the NLE green.

Dean DiBerardino

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012, 04:33:23 PM »
Chris is correct. The location of the hole is just beyond the ninth green of Pinehurst No. 2. The common story I have always heard is that one of the Tufts family lived in the house behind the NLE green. Since the Tufts house was over 250 yards from the ninth hole on No.2, Donald Ross built the hole so Mr. Tufts could play home instead of walking home when he was out for a nine-hole round of golf on No. 2. Pretty cool stuff.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 04:46:12 PM by Dean DiBerardino »

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2012, 04:38:23 PM »
Interesting G-Earth image...pre restoration, t'is
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Anthony Gray

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2012, 08:16:37 PM »

Cool

Garland Bayley

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2012, 10:59:11 AM »

Cool

Is that all you've got. I clicked on your post for this? The least you could have done is mentioned Cruden Bay.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back