News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Niall C

Re: Gullane to host 2015 Scottish Open
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2014, 01:43:48 PM »
Michael

I think both clubs/courses could work well as a venue however I tend to think you are looking at RC through Savardi-tinted glasses.

RC has the not inconsiderable constraint of walls and trees in providing access points onto the site. RC has abrupt elevational changes along the new 10th hole which may make things tricky for moving spectators around although CS managed it with their water side holes. Just pointing out Gullane doesn't have the same issue.

More generally RC requires a bit more of a trek with the 10-13 being out on a limb as are 1-4, compared to the the relatively compact routing of Gullane. Gullane is much more open and I can imagine a stand on top of Gullane hill providing a panaramic view over the whole course. Easily enough space between holes for crowds.

As for off-course facilties, Gullane might not have the same amount of floor space but they have just spent £1.8m on their clubhouse (possibly no coincidence) upgrading it, adding more accommodation etc while they have the "visitors" clubhouse over the road. They also have far more space generally for all the technical compounds and I would imagine they wouldn't need any additional land from any other landowner. In that regard I suspect RC may, not that it would necessarily be a problem but may be something they would have to contend with.

Someone else suggested why play on a composite course meaning Gullane but is that not what RC is now to an extent ? I don't think anyone would suggest that the composite course at Royal Melbourne is a compromise.

Niall

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2014, 02:36:20 PM »
Niall,
You may be right...I just really prefer the entire architectural style of RC over Gullane which I have always thought was overated those two holes up and down the hill just dont do it for me.
I think specatators wouldnt be a proble at either venue, plenty of space inbetween holes etc...and in all honesty being as Gullane is more public friendly I think they deserve the event on that alone.

The atmosphere in that little town will be electric, it always is even when there isnt an event on!!!

Ryan Coles

« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2014, 05:31:56 PM »
I haven't seen Gullane or the RC, but I have worked with the European Tour, and the architectural merit of the golf course is not their first concern.

They are concerned more with access and infrastructure. There are a myriad of players and sponsors demands.

Which site is more accessible with  good, wide roads for thousands of vehicles and semi tractor trailers? (that's articulated lorries). There will be enormous amounts of materials to set up like tents, television production facilities, grandstands and towers.  There will be furniture and caterers as well.

Which site is more convenient to hotels, airports, and rail links? Which has better access to communications, especially cell phone and internet service?

Which site has more available buildings on site to house press, players' lounge, VIP lounge, caddies lounge, and so forth? The more buildings with usable space on site, the less the organizers need to pay for temporary structures.

Which has the electrical grid to power all this stuff?

Which club is more cooperative to close for the maximum amount of time prior to the event to prepare the course to the fullest?

Finally, which course provides the best viewing for spectators?

There's more behind the scenes of a Tour event than mowing grass and raking bunkers, or even #&@*ing with the course design.

Excellent post Steve.

Steve Okula

« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2014, 06:19:55 PM »
I forgot to list parking. Very important to have ample parking, if not on the site then close by, and unsurfaced fields can be a nightmare if it rains.
The small wheel turns by the fire and rod,
the big wheel turns by the grace of God.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back