News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joe Fairey

Northern Scotland this summer...
« on: January 25, 2012, 10:04:37 AM »
Hey guys,

I plan to be in Forres this summer from June 28-July 7 with friends.....looking for any suggestions in that area
particularly hidden gems....we are planning for Royal Dornoch, Brora, Nairn, Cruden Bay, and Royal Aberdeen...
any help will be greatly appreciated....and maybe a chance to share a round with anyone in that area.....thanks

Jim Nelson

Re: Northern Scotland this summer...
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 10:06:24 AM »
Hey guys,

I plan to be in Forres this summer from June 28-July 7 with friends.....looking for any suggestions in that area
particularly hidden gems....we are planning for Royal Dornoch, Brora, Nairn, Cruden Bay, and Royal Aberdeen...
any help will be greatly appreciated....and maybe a chance to share a round with anyone in that area.....thanks

Hi Joe:
I asked just this question about 10 days ago and got some great answers and ideas.  Check out the thread.

jim
I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world.  This makes it hard to plan the day.  E. B. White

Jim Eder

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 10:46:42 AM »
Joe,

Just in case you can't find the other post here are some other ideas.

Castle Staurt, Carnegie Club at Skibo, Loussiemouth, Boat of Garten, Fortrose and Rosemarkie, and Murcar. I think they are hidden gems though not all will agree on some of those.

Bruce Wellmon

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 10:55:16 AM »
Joe,
      In addition to what you are planning, I would suggest Castle Stuart. See below for pics.
       http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,40693.0.html

Anthony Gray

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, 11:03:46 AM »
Joe,
      In addition to what you are planning, I would suggest Castle Stuart. See below for pics.
       http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,40693.0.html

Agreed.

Jim Eder

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2012, 11:20:42 AM »
Joe,

Yes, Castle Stuart is a "must".

I forgot to add Golspie and Tain.  And it is a bit of a hike but I have heard Pitlochry is a hidden gem.  I have not played Pitlochry yet but in a few months.

Just for reference, I will be heading there in a few months and will be playing all the courses I mentioned other than the Aberdeen course(s) and Carnegie.

PM me if you would like more info.  Might be worth staying in Dornoch for a few days as the drive from where you will be is a bit long.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2012, 11:26:20 AM »
Joe,

Just in case you can't find the other post here are some other ideas.

Castle Staurt, Carnegie Club at Skibo, Loussiemouth, Boat of Garten, Fortrose and Rosemarkie, and Murcar. I think they are hidden gems though not all will agree on some of those.

All good suggestions though it is not possible to play Skibo. Others include Spey Bay and Cullen

Jon

Bill_McBride

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2012, 11:31:33 AM »
Hey Joe, I agree on Golspie.   It's just north of Dornoch and is a whole lot of fun.   

Niall C

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2012, 02:19:47 PM »
Joe

Forres itself is a great fun golf course with a nice heathland kind of feel in part. Dirt cheap compared to Castle Stuart/Dornoch etc and friendly members. It would be scandolous not to play it when staying town. Its also a James Braid layout if that kind of thing interests you.

I would also heartily recommend Elgin which is about 15/20 mins away. Like Forres its not a seaside course but I guarantee you at that time of year you both will play fast and firm. Its a course I love with some interesting greens.

The nearest courses to Forres, apart from Forres itself, are the two Nairn courses that are about 9 miles away. Nairn west is well known as a championship course having hosted Walker Cups and Scottish Amateurs etc. If you're looking for a hidden gem then I would play Nairn Dunbar which is a separate course and club. You might not get sea views but you get gorse/heather and fine turf. Some really excellent golf.

Based in Forres you are also well placed to knick down to Granton on Spey (20 mins) via some beautiful countryside. I guarantee you'll love the old fashioned golf there. Boat of Garton is about another 5 to 10 mins further on and is a similar kind of course and you'll find lots of mentions of it on here if you look.

Last but not least I've got to recommend the two links courses at Moray GC in Lossiemouth which again is about 15/20 mins away. Moray Old is an absolute gem while Moray New is no slouch either.

All that good golf is within 20  to 30 minutes drive time which suggests to me that Forres is clearly an under developed golf destination  ;D Email me and I'll see if I can hook up with you when you're over.

Niall

David_Tepper

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2012, 02:35:20 PM »
Joe -

Be sure to head inland to play Boat of Garten and Grantown-on-Spey. I have not played the relatively new Spey Valley course, which is not far from those other two, but I have heard some good things about it.

DT 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back