News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_ Shaffer

Re: The Greens at Dove Mountain...
« Reply #50 on: January 14, 2012, 07:33:43 PM »
Matt,

Bill McBride and I can testify that Dove Mountain is a difficult course for mid handicappers.  JN designed this course knowing that a match play tournament would be held there. Even the pros complained about the greens after the first year of the event. So, JN returned to "soften" the greens. They still complained and the pros still don't like the course as evidenced by their low rating.

There is a third nine there- Burro- and I believe,from what I've heard, that it is more playable for the resort guests and members.

So, my advice depends or your sense of adventure. If you're a single digit guy and want to play where the pros play, then go for it. It's a beautiful course, well maintained and the service and facilities are top drawer. Otherwise...
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #51 on: January 14, 2012, 09:28:09 PM »
It's for a tournament, so I guess in that context I'm not really worried about playability. More about how much I'll enjoy the golf course.

Tom Yost

« Reply #52 on: January 14, 2012, 09:41:51 PM »
I thought the greens were the most fun part of the course.  Getting to the greens was like 18 kicks to the nuts.

Andy Troeger

« Reply #53 on: January 14, 2012, 10:05:09 PM »
I liked it pretty well. Its tough all around, but generally has a reasonable amount of room to drive the ball. The greens are well protected and have some significant contour. Its similar to some other recent Nicklaus efforts that are all tough. If you play the right yardage, that helps make it more manageable, however. I'm not sure how it compares to other tour courses--I haven't played most of the "lower level" tour stop courses. This one's worth playing, however, IMO.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #54 on: January 16, 2012, 09:45:36 PM »
The greens are very difficult to read, with lots of counter slopes and very small pinnable areas.   Played with Steve Shaffer and my brother a couple of years ago.   None of us made a putt all day.  My brother, an experienced mid single digit handicapper, was ten feet off line on a 20' putt!   Toughest greens to putt I've ever seen.

This was after Nicklaus was called back to soften the greens!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back