News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brett_Morrissy

Scott, great and revealing photos, very vibrant colors help show much more than I've seen in the past.

Thanks for all the effort to put this up and the review.

In reading and viewing the pics, it was very interesting seeing the holes laid out after playing Old Mac and much of the inspiration for those.

Cheers
@theflatsticker

Scott Warren

With your handicap, Chaplin, that doesn't surprise me!

Brett: Funnily enough, playing National and my third Raynor course on this trip made me really keen to play Old Mac and see how Doak and Urbina interpreted the style and the templates.

The Bottle hole is the one I really didn't know anything about before a fortnight ago and now I am keen to read more and learn about it.

Ben Voelker

Probably hard to think of two more different sites than Chicago Golf and NGLA, Mark. I don't suppose you have any pics of CG?

Without bold land, what is the major challenge at Chicago?

Scott,

I volunteered at the Walker Cup at Chicago back in 2005 when I was in college and was able to get some photos of the course.  They are not a complete set, but it will give you a look...

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,19380.0.html

jkinney

Scott -- Your's is indeed a thoughtful and well done analysis of National.

Scott Warren

Ben: Thanks for those pics. The course looks fantastic, especially that Principal's Nose/Double Plateau.

jkinney: Much appreciated. Thanks.

By the way, I just noticed there are a couple of clangers in my OP, describing bunkers being on the right when they're actually on the left etc. Guess that's what happens when you write without sleep at 30,000ft. I need an editor! Will fix now.

James Boon

Scott, an excellent tour!

This one, Sean's Cleeve Cloud and my Liphook tour all on the front page, just go to show what a great game this is, as the variety of playing fields is never ending!

I think I said on FB, the contrast of colours and the slightly over cast sky, make for great photos!

Your comments about Redan are interesting. Having played the original I'd read several times on here that the NGLA Redan was better than the original, which I always found hard to believe, but looking again, you may just be right? As you point out, I especially like the way it fits in with the landscape.

Thanks again!

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Jamie Hamilton

Very well done and beautiful photos!  I was lucky enough to live and work at NGLA for five years and while only a few years removed just looking at the photos gets my heart racing!  For my money its as good as golf gets and the fall is certainly the best time of the year to play.  Having had the chance to play it regularly I think its greatest strength is it plays completely different at various points during the year, especially with changes in the wind, and each element takes on a new role/identity that gives you an appreciation for just how great of a layout it really is.

Jordan Wall

Take me back a month and a half, so I can redo my Long Island trip.  Those photos are amazing.

Thank you for taking the time to post those, Scott, it brings back some great memories and the itch to go back again next year.  Of all the courses I played in Long Island, National was by far my personal favorite.  The majestic walk up 18, the beautiful windmill, the glorious sixteenth fairway (personal favorite), the friendly atmosphere, the delectable lobster sandwich in the birdcage - does it get any better?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back