News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tony_Muldoon

Social Links – the Golf Boom in Victorian England.
« on: October 18, 2011, 04:38:10 PM »

Last year saw  Social Links – the Golf Boom in Victorian England published at £95.  Well I hope it doesn’t lament how golf moved from being for everyman, to only the preserve of the rich!

This one passed under my radar.  Potentially it is a fascinating subject has anyone read it?  Worth the price of a round a golf on the Old Course, Walton Heath?

Here’s a short  article on the same subject
http://www.historytoday.com/john-lowerson/scottish-croquet-english-golf-boom-1880-1914
 (also check out the articles linked in the upper right hand of the page).

Can’t  recall seeing the term Scottish Croquet before?
Let's make GCA grate again!

Niall C

Re: Social Links – the Golf Boom in Victorian England.
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, 01:00:33 PM »
Tony

Never heard of it and by the looks of that write up, if its from the author of the book, its been written as an academic exercise. Nothing wrong with that but doesn't strike me as a real page turner. He also didn't really identify why he's only dealing with England. I would have thought that the exact same phenonemum happened in other parts of GB/Ireland back then, and for the same reason. Personally I think you would better off saving your money for an easy jet ticket upto Edinburgh.

Niall

Bill_McBride

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2011, 08:05:22 AM »
Walton Heath, Old or New, is £125 week days.   

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2011, 11:00:13 AM »

Tony

As for value for money only you can decide.

As for potential information I would say seek it out first via the British Library and try and obtain a copy. I have done this on many occasions sometimes waiting up to a year before receiving the library’s copy.

As for information, much can be found in many a book so do not discard them out of hand. The information by itself may not be ground breaking but may add support to other sources. An example that springs to mind being Askernish. In the early days when the club was seeking real confirmation that Old Tom designed the course, Ralph came across a book called ‘A School in South Uist’ – Reminiscences of a Hebridean Schoolmaster 1890-1913 by F G Rea. To cut a long story short it confirmed the existence of the course and that a famous Professional from St Andrews had designed the course. A few days later I furnished more proof from the newspapers and Golfer Guides that the course existed and was by Old Tom. So the book just proved that the Schoolmaster played the course and gave a few lines over to the course, yet enough to confirm that something was there and that it had been undertaken by a famous St Andrews golfer.

The point is that all no fiction books on the subject are of some value be it in just reading and understand the mind set of the players back then or for some small bits of information.  Is it worth that amount of money, perhaps if I would like to  see the BL copy first but the choice is down to you.

Melvyn   

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back