News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Howard Riefs

Orlando: Sugarloaf Mtn, Southern Dunes or other…
« on: October 10, 2011, 11:32:51 AM »
My 2nd annual Florida father-son golf trip is approaching in less than two months, and I can use some guidance on completing the itinerary.   

Last year we enjoyed 35* temps and a few lost balls at TPC Sawgrass. This year, we’re headed for warmer temps of Orlando and Central Florida. As of now, the itinerary includes:

Friday:     World Woods (Pine Barrens & Rolling Oaks)
Saturday: TBD
Sunday:   Bay Hill

The big question mark is where we should play 18 on Saturday.  Focusing on a 45-minute radius from Marriott World Center, the current considerations are:

-- Sugarloaf Mountain, Minneola
-- Southern Dunes, Haines City

Sugarloaf Mountain, beyond being a C&C design, is of interest as my dad likely hasn’t seen a Florida course with any elevation.  While I know it’s not a GCA favorite, anyone know if/how the conditions are holding up since this January 2011 post: http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,47199.0.html

Other options include:
-- Orange County National (Panther Lake)
-- Grand Cypress (New)

Which of these courses -- or others in the area -- would you recommend?  Appreciate any feedback. 

Beyond 2011, I'm already eyeing Streamsong for our 3rd annual trip in late 2012.
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Jeff_Mingay

Re: Orlando: Sugarloaf Mtn, Southern Dunes or other…
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2011, 11:46:36 AM »
Howard,

Since you're hanging out here, in this discussion group, I'm presuming you're way into golf architecture ;D That said, I advise you not to miss Sugarloaf Mountain, if possible. It's a really, really good golf course, unique to Florida. Its isolated location is also a plus by comparison with a lot of other courses in Fla. Neat place, overall.

I've played Southern Dunes a few times as well, and always enjoy it. There are plenty of fun holes there, too. 
jeffmingay.com

Jim Franklin

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2011, 11:58:35 AM »
To guarantee warmth, you may need to look at Naples next year. With that said, I wouldn't miss Sugarloaf Mountain. I thought it was a good  design and different from your typical Florida design. You will enjoy it.

I have not played Southern Dunes in years. I last played it when there were no homes on it. That's how long ago it was!
Mr Hurricane

Dan Kelly

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2011, 01:44:02 PM »
Sugarloaf Mtn. in May was not in great shape, but its shape was good enough not to get in the way of all the good holes.

Two bits of advice:

Don't hit driver on the uphill blind short par-4 on the front side.

Don't trust Google Maps' directions. You might not be lucky enough to find a guy in his driveway, leaving for work, who could tell me how the hell to get to the course!
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Will Peterson

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2011, 05:26:35 PM »
Where are you staying?  They are both a bit out of town, Sugarloaf way northwest and Sothern Dunes way south. 

Sugarloaf is a better design, but the conditions will be an issue.  They can get real dicey.  Sothern Dunes is probably cheaper, and has been in great shape this year.  Based on its condition this summer compared to others in the area and with rates less than $35 at certain times, it may be the best value in Orlando right now.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2011, 05:33:00 PM »
I did a similiar trip as you awhile back and checked out Black Diamond Ranch.  I thought it was extremely interesting playing the Quarry Course and the members of the club were amazingly friendly and nice.
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2011, 05:41:37 PM »
Southern Dunes is a lot of fun, but 7 or 8 years ago was rapidly becoming extremely condo-ified. Highlands Reserve is the Course of choice of the 'Bonnar-Sweeney Orlando Golf Guide for the Seriously Under-Talented'.
Charming wee place with a nice clubhouse, Guinness and good Dogs. Carts may be available, Melvyn.
best,
FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

SL_Solow

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2011, 05:56:52 PM »
A lot depends on if you have access to Privates.  Lake Nona is pretty good unless you are extreme anti-Fazio.  Orange Tree is less prestigious, typical Florida but challenging with decent greens complexes.  Southen Dunes is an interesting course although as noted, the iaddition of intruding low rise condos has lessened its visual appeal.

Howard Riefs

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2011, 07:06:08 PM »
Thanks all for the feedback on Sugarloaf Mountain and Southern Dunes. Very helpful insight on the courses, conditions and directions.

To respond to some specific questions/suggestions:

Where are you staying?  They are both a bit out of town, Sugarloaf way northwest and Sothern Dunes way south. 

We’re certainly prepared to drive. The day in question, we’ll be leaving from the Marriot World Center and then returning to Bay Hill. Looks like Sugarloaf is about 15 miles further from the Marriott but we make up some of that in returning to Bay Hill. 

I did a similiar trip as you awhile back and checked out Black Diamond Ranch.  I thought it was extremely interesting playing the Quarry Course and the members of the club were amazingly friendly and nice.

Good to hear about your experience at Black Diamond Ranch. I look forward to visiting another time as we’ll only be in Brooksville for the day and then heading back to Orlando. I have a feeling BD will get its share of guest play inquiries starting next year when people head to Streamsong to check out the new courses.

Highlands Reserve is the Course of choice of the 'Bonnar-Sweeney Orlando Golf Guide for the Seriously Under-Talented'.

I need to order a copy of your guide for future trips.

A lot depends on if you have access to Privates.  Lake Nona is pretty good unless you are extreme anti-Fazio.  Orange Tree is less prestigious, typical Florida but challenging with decent greens complexes. 

I’m playing with my dad, a high handicapper.  I’ll stay clear of privates this time around but thanks for the suggestions on Lake Nona and Orange Tree.
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Mark Johnson

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2011, 09:03:14 PM »
if you play OCN (which i recommend), I think Crooked Cat is much more interesting than Panther Lake.

John_Conley

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2011, 09:23:17 PM »
Mark, that's the 1st time I've ever heard that!  I consider Crooked Cat a snooze and absolutely love the Christmas tree stretch on the back nine of Panther Lake.

There are a lot of courses here, but I think you have it covered with Sugarloaf.  If you want to treat dad and can get on Bella Colina it's a pretty cool place to play.  No idea if they are accepting play or not.

Ben Kodadek

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2011, 11:56:28 PM »
if you play OCN (which i recommend), I think Crooked Cat is much more interesting than Panther Lake.

Mark, would either OCN course be a Top 100 with a "lilttle more money?"

Howard, I would avoid both courses there at all costs.  Just about every thing FL golf gets a bad wrap about at one facility...great cart girls though. 

Jason Connor

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2011, 11:50:55 AM »
You might also want to try North Shore. It has great green complexes and has been voted best greens in the area a few times.

It's Mike Dasher, who is on this site, and was built pretty cheaply yet is very interesting.   It's a great deal, too.  It's right by the airport if you're flying in and out.

We discovered that in good company there is no such thing as a bad golf course.  - James Dodson

PThomas

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2011, 11:53:29 AM »
Sugarloaf!
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Terry Lavin

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2011, 12:19:32 PM »
Sugarloaf is certainly worth the effort to play if you're in the area, even though I found it sort of underwhelming when comparing it to the other gems in the C&C portfolio.  It features a nice piece of rolling terrain, which is unusual for the area, and a bunch of fun greensites.  I thought the course didn't pick up steam until the seventh or eighth hole.  Also in Orlando, you might think about ChampionsGate International course, which I think is a Greg Norman layout.  I really enjoyed it when I played last year.  And, as many hereabouts know, I'm a big fan of Country Club of Orlando, which is a Donald Ross course with a thoughtful renovation by Brian Silva.  Simple and seductive.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2011, 05:32:13 PM »
A hidden gem for one of your trips is Mission Inn. They have 2 courses there, the older one from 1926 done by an Irish architect is the one to play. Probably the hillest course in Florida. Have fun.
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Dan Kelly

« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2011, 05:50:07 PM »
A hidden gem for one of your trips is Mission Inn. They have 2 courses there, the older one from 1926 done by an Irish architect is the one to play. Probably the hillest course in Florida. Have fun.

My daughter's Div. 3 team played there last spring in the NCAAs. I didn't get to play it, but it sure looked like fun -- with the exception of two of the steepest uphill climbs I've ever seen on a golf course.

I was huffing and puffing at greenside, I can tell you.
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Adam Clayman

« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2011, 07:05:18 AM »
That's the El Capitan course at Mission Inn. Very interesting terrain for Florida.

If studying courses is what you're into, this course has lots of fodder. 
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Kris Shreiner

« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2011, 07:44:49 AM »
While I'm an avid C&C fan, Sugarloaf fell well short of the mark for me when I played it two years ago. The conditioning was poor and the quality of holes was fair, but nothing really memorable or unique stood out.

Southern Dunes is a generally solid track and excellent value. Deltona, while a little bit further of a drive East of Orlando, is also worth playing and usually is in fine shape.

Cheers,
Kris 8)

"I said in a talk at the Dunhill Tournament in St. Andrews a few years back that I thought any of the caddies I'd had that week would probably make a good golf course architect. We all want to ask golfers of all abilities to get more out of their games -caddies do that for a living." T.Doak

Howard Riefs

« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2011, 07:19:15 PM »
Appreciate the additional feedback on Sugarloaf and Southern Dunes ... as well as a full list of other courses to consider for future father/son trips to the Orlando area. 

Stewart Abramson

« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2011, 07:56:56 PM »
That's the El Capitan course at Mission Inn. Very interesting terrain for Florida.

It's "El Campeon"  (the Champion)

[/quote]
Quote from: cary lichtenstein on Yesterday at 05:32:13 PM
A hidden gem for one of your trips is Mission Inn. They have 2 courses there, the older one from 1926 done by an Irish architect is the one to play. Probably the hillest course in Florida.[/quote]

Sugarloaf is as hilly if not more so.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back