News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Chris Wegner

New Member Introduction
« on: October 09, 2011, 12:28:53 AM »
Hello, My name is Chris Wegner.  I am a PGA Professional in the New Jersey Section.

I have been fortunate enough to be the Head Golf Professional at The Architects Golf Club in Phillipsburg for the past three seasons, and just this week accepted the Head Professional position at Suneagles Golf Club at Fort Monmouth.

I have lurked on the board for the past years mainly as a resource for my time at Architects.  I have been presented a wonderful challenge of marketing and promoting Suneagles Golf Club to the public.  This forum is one of the few that would have ever heard of Suneagles and I hope to continue to use the board as a resource in running this wonderful Tillinghast course.

Being a Jersey boy my experiences are somewhat confined to the golf in this great state.  I look forward to learning more and maybe even contributing on this site.

Thanks

David Harshbarger

Re: New Member Introduction
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2011, 12:42:26 AM »
Welcome, Chris.  It's great to have you here as Suneagles is well regarded here, and in need of an advocate.  Welcome.
The trouble with modern equipment and distance—and I don't see anyone pointing this out—is that it robs from the player's experience. - Mickey Wright

Peter Sayegh

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2011, 01:51:05 AM »
Chris,
Welcome. You had me at "Jersey boy."
Good luck at Suneagles. There was some concern, as you can guess, over the fate of the course recently. I grew up at the Shore and only played Ft. Monmouth a couple of times. I was wondering if you could tell me how you see the course now and in the future. Will it be competing with the likes of Hominy and Howell?
Look forward to hearing about your experiences in Eatontown.

Chris Wegner

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2011, 01:10:37 AM »
Davd / Peter,

Thank You for the warm welcome. 

Our plan for Suneagles is very simple.  1. Keep it open.  We are currently on a 1 year lease.  2. Improve course conditions.

Unfortunately the nature of our contract makes it difficult to look at any long term capital improvements.  The course has some issues but from what I can see a lot of the original Tillinghast features are still very much intact.

Our plan for the Fall is to improve greens, fix some drainage and clean up the bunkers.  The course sat unattended for nearly three weeks so we had a lot of rough to mow just to get the course playable.

It's a neat track and I invite everyone to come visit.  There are a couple of stretches of the course that are no slouch.  Holes 4/5/6 make you play golf as do holes 14/15/16 on the back nine.  The par 3's are steller and require 4 different shots.

It's also interesting to note that while I always enjoyed the Tillinghast hole at Architects, Suneagles bears little resemblance to that hole.  Not sure if it was a miss on the design at Architects or a compliment to Tillinghast that his design styles could vary so widely.

Kyle Harris

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2011, 08:25:10 PM »
Chris:

Nice to see you've finally made the dive and can call me out in public ;)

Shoot me a call when you can.

Kyle

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back