News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

mike_malone

Is choosing the wrong club a sign of a good course?
« on: September 02, 2011, 01:15:33 PM »
  I find that when I play courses where the club selection is clear I get bored, but when I'm choosing between the aggressive and the conservative shot and end up choosing the aggressive one the game is more fun. I think this is a marker of a good course.
AKA Mayday

Chris Johnston

Re: Is choosing the wrong club a sign of a good course?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2011, 01:21:46 PM »
  I find that when I play courses where the club selection is clear I get bored, but when I'm choosing between the aggressive and the conservative shot and end up choosing the aggressive one the game is more fun. I think this is a marker of a good course.

Mike - I agree.  With elevation change, variable wind, and opportunity for ground game here at Dismal River, club selection is anything but clear.  Thats what makes it both fun and challenging for me.

mike_malone

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2011, 01:27:53 PM »
 Chris,

Yes, when the aerial versus ground option is added the number of clubs to choose from adds up.
AKA Mayday

mike_malone

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2011, 01:46:40 PM »
  I did this three times just today.
   On #3, a short par three, the flag was upfont between two bunkers. I hit the 8 to try to be short of the hole. I tugged it only slightly and ended up in the bunker. I should have just hit 7 and landed comfortably in the middle of the green leaving a reasonable two putt but no chance for a bird. But, the short 3's at Rolling Green entice you into taking the aggressive club.

On #4 the pin was way back and left. The hole plays up hill and the aggressive line is over an angled bunker. Even though I hit one more club than I initially wanted  I ended up on the front portion of the green leaving a tough two putt.

On #5 I hit too much club because I wanted to get over the massive bunker front right. I love the approach to this hole because the bunker in the back only comes into play for shots hit to the left side of the green and as one goes more right they can hit it farther landing on the green with a slope down to the middle.

It probably is better to be a player who thinks he is better than he is to appreciate what I'm saying.
AKA Mayday

Anthony Gray

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2011, 03:21:58 PM »

Very good question. I played a course recently that had a cuople holes where there were dips in the fairway from 100 yards out to the hole. It always appeared you were closer than the actual yardage. It was flat land and I thought the idea of this was ingenious.

Anthony

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back