News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Melvyn Morrow

Following on from the thread of being King for the day, I am snookered to understand why anyone would like the return of the Stymie. With the modern trend of not caring or keeping up with the basics of Course Etiquette, I hate to consider the state of the Greens after seeing many try and chip over the offending ball. If we are unlucky the Greens may start to resemble the Tees with many scuff marks or divot.

Those in favour, have you really looked into this and did you know that many an ODG were pleased when it was banned. Its resurrection may result in non-handling of the ball on the Green again, something I would be pleased to see but not the return of the stymie. It could add many more minutes to each Hole, but my main fear is the on-going destruction to the Greens and their playing surface together with the day to day maintenance requirement on these surface.

I wonder, out of our merry little band of 1200 or so , how many want to see its return and why – also what’s you thought on the potential damage this little snooker can bring to our Greens.

Melvyn

JC Jones

I'm pretty sure they are talking about the blog, not the ancient match play tactic.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Eric Smith

I'm pretty sure they are talking about the blog, not the ancient match play tactic.

That and SURVIVOR. ;D

Andy Stamm

I've always wanted to play a match with stymie era rules in effect, but have been gunshy for obvious reasons. (Although, while in a match I might get stymied, I've always thought that the chances that that stymie would represent a legitimate chipping opportunity are low, so maybe I've really wanted to play a series of matches).

But, I think the situations where a (smart, experienced) player would actually try a chip to when stymied are quite rare. Among other things, the stymie is only relevant during singles match play. And the chip should pretty much always be of the low controlled type, not exactly a beaver pellet taking flop shot. And of course, chipping on the green is allowed now and is practiced at Riviera and maybe Pebble among others.

But, I agree that bringing back the stymie in full effect would not be a good idea.

Jim_Coleman

Now when I play 36, in deference to age, I have resorted to a second round two man scramble, match play, with the stymie rule in effect.  Great fun.  Sometimes we play that if the first putter sinks, his partner can try to stymie the opponents.  This is known as the "full stymie."  I must admit, my friends are not unanimous in their support.

Carl Rogers

I would vote for the stymie in Match Play only.

Mike Nuzzo

I would play the stymie, but it isn't for everyone.
The greens would never know how I was playing - I can't say that for everyone.
I see divots from greens all the time...
Cheers
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Tiger_Bernhardt

Mike your average golfer would really rip up a green playing a stymie. I can do it left handed with my ping a blade. As a kids I did it with a 9 iron without hurting the green but we practiced for hours just to win a quarter.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back