News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Scott Warren

NSWGC and The Lakes: Which is the better course?
« on: August 13, 2011, 08:07:56 AM »
I had the pleasure of playing The Lakes again today and afterwards over beers the discussion between a small group of visitors and a few members of The Lakes turned to how fortunate we are in Sydney to have some quality design being carried out recently/currently.

The consensus was that - at least until Bonnie Doon's changes are finished ;) - NSW and The Lakes are far and away the two best golf courses in the city, and there was significant support at the table for The Lakes being the better golf course of the two.

The Lakes cannot compete with NSW's clifftop, oceanside locale. Nor can it compete with the ambiance of NSW, given a few thousand cars an hour speed by along Southern Cross Drive. And I know some people find air traffic a pain at The Lakes, though to be fair some days are busy and others, like today, you don't see a single plane.

But there are just so many great holes and great shots at The Lakes, heaps of variety, really interesting greens and greensites. It's a thrill to play.

I'm interested to hear from those of you who've played both. Which do you prefer to play? Which is the better golf course?

Mark_F

Re: NSWGC and The Lakes: Which is the better course?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2011, 08:28:27 AM »
The consensus was that - at least until Bonnie Doon's changes are finished ;) - NSW and The Lakes are far and away the two best golf courses in the city, and there was significant support at the table for The Lakes being the better golf course of the two.

Why did they believe The Lakes to be better, Scott?

By the way, the answer is that neither of them are very good.  :)

Shane Gurnett

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2011, 07:36:23 PM »
Scott, I don't think there is a lot between the two courses. NSW wins out as an experience, with the Lakes having more interesting architecture for mine.

Scott Warren

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2011, 07:58:24 PM »
Shane: I think that's a fair summation. The discussion was more concentrating on the merits of the golf than the overall experience, so I suppose you seem to agree with those favouring The Lakes.

I agree there isn't much between them overall. Matching like for like holes, I have The Lakes coming out 2up, but I am sure others could easily have NSW 2up or 3up.

Mark: Those preferring The Lakes tended to do so because there are more thrilling shots, fewer weak holes, greater width and because the course engages you right until the ball is in the hole on most holes, in that the greenside recoveries and putts have a lot of adventure to them.

The point was made that Royal Sydney doesn't really have a single shot that gets your heart racing and that NSW and The Lakes both have plenty of them.

David_Elvins

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2011, 07:11:11 PM »
In their present condition, The Lakes is 5-6 times better than NSW. 
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Michael Goldstein

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2011, 11:40:14 PM »
David, why don't we call it an even 10....
@Pure_Golf

Michael Taylor

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2011, 04:45:23 AM »
In their present condition, The Lakes is 5-6 times better than NSW.  

Care to expand on that comment David?

Scott,

I would like to play The Lakes at least 3-4 more times before I come to my opinion of the two courses. I haven't really played The Lakes enough to come to a good understanding of what it's about. I've played it three times now, and I am enjoying it more and more every time I play it.

Scott Warren

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2011, 07:20:52 AM »
From memory, Pup, you formed a fairly strong opinion about RM West on the basis of one play... Go on - on the basis if three plays at The Lakes what are your feelings?

Ben Stephens

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2011, 07:42:10 AM »
Scott,

I wonder what Clayts would do with NSW if he had a similar design input as he did at the Lakes? I reckon Mike would make NSW more playable and wider corridors as well as being more strategic.

How is the construction coming along at Bonnie Doon?

Cheers
Ben

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2011, 08:08:18 AM »
Scott

For mine, The Lakes has improved immensely with the recent redo but it’s not without its issues – in particular it’s routing. It used to be a tale of two nines very little interest in the F9 and the B9 was all about the water. At least Mike has drawn more interest in the redesign of the F9 and brought architectural interest to it.

The Lakes’ strong point is its P5’s - plenty of variety and interest however I am not a huge fan of the collection of P3’s. Mike again has at least improved them from what was there previously but is there really a great P3 amongst them ?

NSWGC has some low points as well in particular at the start of the round but that said it also has some of the most exciting holes in all of golf. The elasticity of the course especially with the effect of the wind around 5-7 in particular make it an amazing experience. They help to overcome the lows and whilst some changes of late could be questioned overall I still have it ahead of The Lakes.

David_Elvins

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2011, 09:22:51 AM »

Care to expand on that comment David?

I could be wrong, but I heard there were 13-14 temporary greens in play at the moment. 
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back