News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Greg Tallman

Cabo to get another photogenic course?
« on: August 05, 2011, 02:53:49 PM »
Rumors abound that the golf course at Quivira here in Cabo is cranking back up. Curious timing in my mind so I remain skeptical. If true it will feature some holes that will make the photos of Diamante look boring.

The course is set just above Diamante along the cliffs and dunes and would have 4 or 5 holes running along the cliff about 100 feet above the water.

If Seņor Ferlicca would repost a photo from his Ocean Course review it shows the land where these holes would be with perhaps the largest in play but unable to access bunker in the world. (Peter it is the coastal shot with the lighthouses you took from thecruise ship... I tried to copy and paste to no avail.) 

Course would be doen by Nicklaus (Jim Lipe) and at the very least would be among the most photographed in the world for a short time.

Peter Ferlicca

Re: Cabo to get another photogenic course?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2011, 03:21:35 PM »
Not a problem Mr. Tallman, your request is granted.  When you are on the cruise ship leaving Cabo heading north, you come upon this amazing giant sand dune off a mountain.  It is pretty breaktaking.  I always wondered if a golf course was going to be built there.

This is the view Greg Tallman is talking about I am pretty sure.

And here are other shots from different views

And then just to the left of that is where Diamante is, if you look closely you can see a golf hole

And just to the right of that big mountain dune is where some nice real estate property is at.

Greg Tallman

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2011, 04:30:30 PM »

Gracias Seņor - This is the site, or at least the most specacular portion, where Jack/Jim are slated (have been for years now  :() to build 36 holes. In this picture you would play from the lower shelf just right of the massive "bunker" across the water to a green set near the lower lighthouse in the middle left of the photo. Brutally tough and I want to say maybe 230 yards or so. Alternatively you can play a Pebblesque drop shot par 3 of maybe 120 yards from up the hill. Another green site is just to the left of the lower lighthouse and plays from the opposite direction along the cliff.

As noted there were 4 or 5 holes along this area that will be truly breathtaking. I was not exactly comfortable standing on the long tee of the par 3 noted above. Not sure why... it's just water below right?

Looking again the par 3 green might be on the middle shelf just beyong the "bunker" and a par 4 playing down to the greensite to the right of the lighthouse. Anyway some pretty spectacular stuff.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 04:34:59 PM by Greg Tallman »

Emile Bonfiglio

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2011, 05:11:47 PM »
I remember riding on those dunes with ATVS in the 90's as a teenager, my girlfriend flipped hers right below the lighthouse. I was at the site last year and it will be awesome when/if it gets done.  Here are some pics to chew on. I'm not sure the overlay is perfect but you get the idea.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 05:24:31 PM by Emile Bonfiglio »
You can follow me on twitter @luxhomemagpdx or instagram @option720

Kalen Braley

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2011, 05:28:51 PM »
Emile,

Please don't take this the wrong way..but that routing may just be the grand prize winner for "worst routing ever"

The transitions from:

2 to 3
7 to 8
9 to 10
16 to 17

look absolutely awful!

Emile Bonfiglio

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2011, 05:38:14 PM »
My experience in Cabo has been that when Jack is involved (Palmilla, El Dorado, Puerto Los Cabos, Club Campastre & Cabo Del Sol) that you can guarantee that the course is designed for carts and hole proximity is not a priority, real estate sale are however. it is some fairly good sloping terrain over their so Rob Rigg and the rest of the Walking Golfer Society better be warned.
You can follow me on twitter @luxhomemagpdx or instagram @option720

Greg Tallman

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2011, 06:14:07 PM »
That is significantly different than any routing I have seen or toured via ATV.

And your girlfirend is not along in having flipped an ATV there.... calling JWL, calling J-W-L.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 06:16:34 PM by Greg Tallman »

Anthony Gray

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2011, 12:41:38 PM »

I hope the follow Diamante's work. If they do Cabo will rank as one of the best areas in the world for golf. By the way not many people want to walk in that heat so distance between holes does not bother me, but real estate on prime land for golf would.

Anthony

Jud_T

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2011, 11:52:47 AM »
Is the Michelson course at Diamante still on track to go ahead?
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Greg Tallman

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2011, 02:20:22 PM »
Is the Michelson course at Diamante still on track to go ahead?

Jud, I think they have changed their thinking on the sequencing future development/amenities at Diamante. In fact I would imagine you will see a Paul Cowley course before you see the planned Mickelson course (Oasis).

They have been working on a project within the project that would have a boutique hotel, golf, fractional residences and a cool water feature I think called "crystal lagoon". This is on different land than the planned Mickelson course and would precede it as well. 

In this economy who knows... everything is day to day.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back