News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

James Boon

Trip to Mackenzie's Cavendish GC, Buxton, on Fri 8 July
« on: June 28, 2011, 06:53:20 PM »
There are a few places going spare on a trip to MacKenzie's Cavendish, on Friday 8 July.

We've got morning times booked at 9.42, 9.50 and 9.58, and then after a swift lunch we have 2.54, 3.02 and 3.10. Usual prices are £30 for the round or £40 for the day but the secretary has said they will do us a deal, something like 4 for the price of 3, but this still needs to be confirmed.

So far we have:

Richard Atherton
James Boon
Duncan Cheslett
Clyde Johnson
Adam Lawrence
Mark Pearce
Mark Rowlinson
Lorne Smith
Ben Stephens

For those that don't know, Richard Atherton, is Cavendish's historian and MacKenzie expert, who helped Nick Leefe, Neil Crafter and the gang with the MacKenzie Timeline in relation to Cavendish. He has agreed to join us for the morning round and hopefully share some of his knowledge.

Anyone else care to join us?

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

James Boon

Re: Trip to Mackenzie's Cavendish GC, Buxton, on Fri 8 July
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2011, 04:07:22 AM »
I thought this was worth a quick bumping up the list...

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

John Mayhugh

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2011, 07:26:53 PM »
Jealous. You lot will have a great time.  Hope you have enough to play foursomes in the afternoon.

Scott Warren

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2011, 07:52:01 PM »
When Mayhugh is jealous of you, you know you're doing well!

By the way - happy birthday, John!

Ben Stephens

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2011, 09:48:48 AM »
Jealous. You lot will have a great time.  Hope you have enough to play foursomes in the afternoon.

Tucky,

Cavendish is like fine wine! There is plenty of light to play our own ball for 36 holes!!

Looking forward to playing it again knowing where to go and not to go!

Cheers
Ben

John Mayhugh

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2011, 07:49:27 AM »
Ben,
Plenty of daylight - sure. I just think there are some good foursomes holes there. How about three rounds??

And did you call me Tucky? FFS Arble does that enough already.

Scott,
Cheers.

Ben Stephens

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2011, 08:01:22 AM »
Ben,
Plenty of daylight - sure. I just think there are some good foursomes holes there. How about three rounds??

And did you call me Tucky? FFS Arble does that enough already.

John,

I agree there are plenty of foursomes holes - 3 rounds might be stretching it a bit far for some. I wouldnt mind it

Apologies for using your disliked 'nickname' I will leave it to Mr Red Wing.

Cheers
Ben

John Mayhugh

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2011, 01:27:36 PM »
Ben,
Not a big deal - was just giving you a hard time.  I meant to also add that you might as well start signing off in Italian.  ;)

James Boon

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2011, 04:18:12 AM »
As Cavendish gets several mentions in the recently bumped "Favourite 5 Courses in England" thread, I thought I'd bump this one to see if anyone else is interested in joining us on Friday?

John,

Nice to know you are jealous of this trip, but I'm sure you have been on many more which will make many of us there on Friday much more jealous in return...  ;D

Cheers,

James

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2011, 10:03:19 AM »
As a reminder of our fun outing to Cavendish yesterday here is a link to Sean Arble’s Cavendish photo tour:
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,41162.msg1021421/topicseen.html#msg1021421

Over lunch Adam made the suggestion of meeting up at Halifax some time. Here’s a link to a photo tour:
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,39453.msg827620/topicseen.html#msg827620

Also a link to a photo tour of Crosland Heath, another MacKenzie course full of character just outside Huddersfield:
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,37325.msg864929/topicseen.html#msg864929

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2011, 10:23:13 AM »
Mention was made in one of the linked threads of Saddleworth. I don't think it's quite in the league of Crosland Heath or Halifax. Here's a link to its photo tour:
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,44022.0.html

Neil_Crafter

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2011, 12:34:21 AM »
Hope you guys had a great day! Very envious.

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2011, 03:03:15 AM »
Many thanks to James for organising a memorable day; it was my first such event and it was a joy to meet such a great bunch of enthusiasts. Thank you for putting up with my incompetent beginners' golf!

While we're on the subject of possible future venues, I must put a word in for my place.

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php?topic=46179.0

I'd be delighted to organise something and can guarantee a great day at an attractive price.

It could even be combined with a return visit to Cavendish, only 30 minutes away.  It would make for an interesting contrast between MacKenzie's early and later work. I'm obviously a little biased but I do not feel that Reddish Vale is in any way overshadowed by it's slightly more celebrated stable-mate.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 03:27:24 AM by Duncan Cheslett »

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2011, 11:17:57 AM »
I'm obviously a little biased but I do not feel that Reddish Vale is in any way overshadowed by it's slightly more celebrated stable-mate.

Duncan, I quite agree.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back