News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Eric Smith

Post-BUDA golf?
« on: June 28, 2011, 01:54:48 PM »
What's cooking?

I'd recently told Sean that I wasn't going to play an afternoon Friday round, but have now changed my mind. That and the future brother-in-law can't meet me in London until later that evening anyway, so I'd rather play on while I still can. Ulrich had mentioned Hindhead as a possibility on the main BUDA IX thread. Any interest in this or other venues that afternoon? Possibly going around again at Liphook? I'm up for anything as long as it's nearby or on the way.

Mark Pearce

Re: Post-BUDA golf?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2011, 02:06:31 PM »
Eric,

I reckon it's almost certain that there'll be several going for 36 on the final day at Liphook.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Eric Smith

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2011, 02:42:59 PM »
Mark,

That's a lot of Liphook, but I'd say by that time I'd rather gather than hunt. You thinking about sticking around as well?

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2011, 06:40:34 PM »
There's two days of Liphook, that's why I thought to mix in Hindhead. It's less than 2 miles from the Devil's Punchbowl as well. I am staying overnight anyway, so will likely do something on Friday afternoon, unless the weather is exceptionally bad.

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

James Boon

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2011, 06:49:11 PM »
I'm planning on staying Friday night, to avoid heading home on the M25 and M1 on a Friday evening which will almost certainly be a nightmare.

I'm keen to play Hindhead while I'm in the area, but I imagine it will be tricky to get on first thing on a Saturday morning so Friday afternoon would probably be best. Having said that, I don't really want to split from the group so if most people are playing 36 at Liphook on Friday, then I'll probably go with the flow.

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Mark Pearce

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2011, 12:59:17 AM »
I'll be around the Friday afternoon, as I think will Giles and Conrad.  Happy to go with the flow.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Sean_A

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2011, 03:36:52 AM »
I am keen to play Liphook on the Friday afternoon if there are some folks playing at least a Saturday game somewhere. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Christoph Meister

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2011, 04:30:57 AM »
There's two days of Liphook, that's why I thought to mix in Hindhead. It's less than 2 miles from the Devil's Punchbowl as well. I am staying overnight anyway, so will likely do something on Friday afternoon, unless the weather is exceptionally bad.

Ulrich

Hi Ulrich,

While at Hindhead you could have a look for me if the green complex from the picture below is still around - looks like one of the wildest things I have seen - particularly considering I found the photo in the German magazine Golf dating March 15th, 1929. Bernhard von Limburger, not only golf course architect but also editor of this magazine must have thought the same when choosing this photo for the interior title page and titling it "Woe to the faintheart!"...

Greetings,
C.

« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 04:34:16 AM by Christoph Meister »
Golf's Missing Links - Continental Europe
 https://www.golfsmissinglinks.co.uk/index.php/wales-2
EAGHC European Association of
Golf Historians & Collectors
http://www.golfika.com
German Hickory Golf Society e.V.
http://www.german-hickory.com

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2011, 11:54:00 AM »
Quite some green, will be on the lookout, but I am sure it has been redesigned in the meantime or at least looks way different. According to the description Hindhead is a course on two levels for the two nines, so the green in the background probably belongs to the other loop. But it sure appears to be fun playing to it from the tees located in the center of the picture :)

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Eric Smith

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2011, 06:27:25 PM »

"Woe to the faintheart!" is right. Just look at that thing! And the bunkers! Look how tiny the golfer is in there. This is golf architecture gold. Boy I hope there are still places out there like this picture depicts, because I haven't ran across anything nearly as mesmerizing and wonder if I truly ever will. Places like Pine Valley, in the trees, no matter how good the golf is, ought to clear them out like the old photographs show and bring this sort of thrilling landscape back to the forefront of golf course architecture.

I would love to see Hindhead.

Thanks for posting, Christoph.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back