News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Adam Lawrence

Maurice Flitcroft Movie
« on: July 28, 2021, 05:50:01 AM »
Just had a press release announcing that ‘The Phantom of the Open’, a movie about Maurice Flitcroft, starring Oscar-winner Mark Rylance as Flitcroft, opens in the UK and Ireland on November 5. Should be fun.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2021, 05:52:20 AM by Adam Lawrence »
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Marty Bonnar

Re: Maurice Flitcroft Movie
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2021, 06:52:00 AM »
Sounds great. A fun story. Now, if only someone was writing a Colt history, maybe a kindly filmmaker would be interested in turning it into a movie.
 ;D
F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2021, 07:00:19 AM »
Sounds great. A fun story. Now, if only someone was writing a Colt history, maybe a kindly filmmaker would be interested in turning it into a movie.
 ;D
F.

I have thought about that, but it lacks an obvious plot arc, and it is, to put it mildly, a niche interest.
Adam Lawrence

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2021, 07:28:02 AM »
I will look forward to watching that. It is a great fun story and the sort of film that could take off. Maurice was a very funny man and Gene his son was full of tricks the same. Van was the other son they were twins, they did not always see eye to eye and had a sword fight in the street. They were the first twins to have ASBO'S issued against each other.

I can remember Gene ringing me the day Maurice died, he said he still wanted a fag on his way to hospital in the ambulance!

Gene died not long after his dad, too much drink on Barrow's Gaza strip!

Gene knows most of the stories as he caddied mostly, I hope they got all those crazy happenings. I never knew Van, don't think he was into golf as much.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Niall C

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2021, 07:33:59 AM »
Adrian

How did you come to know Maurice and his family ?

Niall

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2021, 07:44:53 AM »
Seems the movie has been acquired by Sony Pictures, so obviously some other people share Adrian's view that it could do well!
Adam Lawrence

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2021, 09:05:35 AM »
Adrian

How did you come to know Maurice and his family ?

Niall
When we built the Players Club, we had no history so the idea was to 'ponce someone else's history' I had a few Open programmes so i filled the gaps back to 1975 the first one I went too, then someone offered me a 69 signed by Mr Jacklin so I had to have that...on and on I have ended up back to 1927 with a few holes, Amateur Championship too and half I have signed on the front page, they are in our clubhouse, rooms, corridors complete with signed photo's of the winners of the majors!

I had a 1976 Regional Q Open programme so contacted Maurice to sign it, the front cover. I became friends with Gene really he used to go surfing down in Newquay so kinda passed by, he called in on his way once, we did talk about how great a film would be and he wanted to know if I had any contacts to make it. We also talked about a book...the book got made.

It was hard to get Maurice out of the house as he was suffering with a bad chest courtesy of about 40 fags a day for 60 years, he said he'd think about coming down for a game but he never did so I never met him, I don't think he played golf in his last 10 years and I reckon he died about 10 years ago, Gene use to say he was just "waiting for god" probably more a reference to being on his own after his wife died.

I remember being at Open Quailfiers as well when he had played, think I caddied at South Herts once and he had played, but was never at the same venue. One of our regional pro's played in that 76 Q ( Bill Howard I think his name is) he said his score was nearer 200 than 121. Both partners had their entry fee returned. Maurice sneaked into another four as far as i remember.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back