News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dan Herrmann

Re: Walking in the heat ....
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2011, 02:55:55 PM »
Jay - if your show up at our place without shorts when it's over 85 (and you're not in the PGA), you're not showing respect to yourself!  :)

Really - there are times you shouldn't play.  About 13 years ago, I played with a heat index of 130F.  Pretty darn stupid.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2011, 03:32:22 PM »
If heat gets too much, just come on up to beautiful NW where 85' and no humidity is about as hot as it gets in the summer!

We escape to the Catskills for a round when the heat gets up around 90+ and the humidity rises. It's 1,100' higher, predictably 7 to 10 degrees cooler, low humidity and breezy. Be doing that this Thursday when mid-90s are predicted for my town.
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2011, 04:31:27 PM »
Hydration is the biggest thing you have to get right when dealing with the heat, but not the only thing.

And as others have said, hydration is not about drinking huge amounts of water--it's about drinking enough water, and at the right time (primarily well before you go out).

But it's also about knowing how to pace yourself and what things expend energy.

I agree with Jay, and I have no problem taking a cart some days. But I have lived in Arizona more than a decade now and I'm pretty familiar with knowing what i can and can't do. Like anything, experience in dealing with heat goes a long way. I have walked playing golf on days over 110--a couple of rounds at Talking Stick in the sickly hot summer of 2003 come to mind. I played TS South--walked and carried my bag, the guys in the shop thought I was insane--on a day when it reached 117. I was fine (to be fair, I didn't know it was going to be that hot). But I wouldn't want to try walking a course with much elevation change in real heat. And when the monsoon comes to AZ and we have the 110 degree days plus some humidity, then I'm definitely not walking. Hell, I don't like walking down to the mailbox in August.

Fred Gray

« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2011, 04:47:06 PM »

You raise another interesting issue.  I always wear long pants at a private club when I am a guest even if they have a shorts rule so as to be respectful of their place.  I'll wear shorts on hot days on public courses though.

As for the black...once in a while I wear blue or even green:)

Here in the southeast you will show a club more respect by not passing out from heat stroke than wearing long pants.

Please, high tech shirts, breathable socks, lots of fluids. (As I am playing the next 4 days in a row with temps between 92 and 96).

Fred

Scott Warren

« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2011, 06:33:18 PM »
This whole thread is a bit soft if you ask me!

90-odd is nothing. We spend five months a year playing in that heat down here. Not to mention playing cricket in it...

90-odd in high humidity is a bit more uncomfortable, but I still don't think playing golf in those conditions is a particularly noteworthy physical feat, especially not for someone who plays golf for a living.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2011, 07:07:55 PM »

90-odd is nothing. We spend five months a year playing in that heat down here. Not to mention playing cricket in it...

90-odd in high humidity is a bit more uncomfortable, but I still don't think playing golf in those conditions is a particularly noteworthy physical feat, especially not for someone who plays golf for a living.

Pensacola today, 97*, absolutely no air. Humidity in the 70% range, thunder in the background.  I have lived and played golf in the Southern USA for many years.   This is why they invited carts.  And it's only early June........ :P

Brett Waters

« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2011, 07:38:37 PM »
I played in an amateur qualifier in central NC just yesterday on a golf course that was definitely not a walkable course. The tee boxes were built up very high and there were several walks in between holes. 36 holes and it was hot. Had to walk, but thankfully my clubs could ride. It seemed more like an ironman event than an amateur golf tournament.

I was at a baseball game last week (sitting in a well-shaded area) and an older gentleman sitting in front of me had a heat stroke. After several minutes, they got a good pulse back and he became responsive. Sorry, but if I have my choice (especially this time of year), I'm riding.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2011, 09:28:28 PM »
I learned my lesson - almost the hard way, and quit trying to be a hero and play through wooziness if I experience it, during heat.  I'll still go out and play, and don't carry but walk with my Sun Mountain speed cart.  But, what Chris Flamion said about the balanced nutrition and hydration is very interesting.  Today it hit 97* and about 65 humidity that caught us a little surprised not expecting it.  We played a 3some, and I was the youngest at 62yrs, and another guy who walked with a battery powered caddie cart 64, and Mr. Ironman, Steve the Marine who CARRIED!!!  Steve turned 80 Christmas, and he had a very rough winter with Pros Cancer radiation and complications.  I had to keep yelling at him to keep drinking water today. We finished and drank 3 pitchers and all felt pretty good, Steve being the freshest!

But, if I get woozie anymore like I felt just before I got serious heat stroke 3 years ago, I will stop and quit playing.  What my body went through in the aftermath was fascinating but alarming.  The Doc told me that heat stroke is a progressive thing when you get it so bad it effects body functions and seizes up muscles and you black out.  He told me effects get worse each time and to never push it again, or it may be the last round, DNF!  I don't love golf that much! 

But you gotta see Steve to believe the guy. 
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

john_stiles

« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2011, 09:32:20 PM »
I walked three days in a row in 90 plus heat and very high southern US humidity.

Carried the first two days, and I was a bit whipped.

On the third day,  I walked ...but... put my clubs on a speed cart and used the holder to put up an umbrella.  

With umbrella opened and held by the speed cart,  my head was mostly in the shade and I pushed my clubs.  And I could stand in the shade waiting on others to hit.

The speed cart also carried extra water as well.

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2011, 09:57:11 PM »
Isn't this thread supposed to be about whether Hamilton started a caddie less trend?
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 09:59:26 PM by Mark Bourgeois »

Steve Lang

« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2011, 10:16:40 PM »
 8) .. Hamilton is cool.

Didn't Paul Runyan have some advice on playing in the heat.. like just warm water.. no milk etc..??

.. well after 20 years experience in SE TX, living in the Dog's Mouth, while its the humidity stupid.. if you're baking you're baking.. shade or not..

As the cliche says" a good start is half the race", a doc friend advised that hydration is most important up front.. once you loose it you can never get it back, no matter how much you drink. At WCC we have water jugs every three holes which helps immensely but having some fruit and nuts regularly during the round helps a lot for me as some one has already mentioned. I know the gatorade type drinks help.. definitely, and sometimes, simply a lemon in the water to give you something to taste helps too on a quick 9..

Walk 9, ride the rest when its hot..  

not unusual for us to get out of the car after a warm golfing walk, and walk right into the pool for body temperature adjustment// 8)
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 10:57:56 PM by Steve Lang »
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

paul cowley

« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2011, 10:48:50 PM »
A little OT...might want to be titled be working in the heat...but for the last year I have regularly been doing landscape related work in the desert of west Texas...mostly moving large stones and boulders, shoveling dirt and gravel and transplanting desert plants. Out here now for the week where it has been peaking around 112to 115 degrees daily with almost no humidity.  I wear a large sombrero, bandana, long sleeve shirt and jeans to keep cool for a 10 hr day. My next birthday will be 60 and mi amigos...Tate..gringo equipment operator (58), Juan (62), Lucho (61) and the best...Guadalupe (78) and I are in control of the no movable part tools. Great crew who with ceremony last fall named me Paolo Piedras. Being a working south Georgia boy for the past 30 yrs adapted me to the heat there, but let me tell you working in conditions where you don't sweat even when the temp is 15 degrees above your body temp of 98 is another thing altogether.

Working is one thing...but working while scoring is another, and my sombrero is off to Hamilton for his achievement!
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 11:15:51 PM by paul cowley »
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

Bill_McBride

« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2011, 11:07:53 PM »
Isn't this thread supposed to be about whether Hamilton started a caddie less trend?

I think the thread title is............"Walking in the heat...."

Carl Johnson

« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2011, 09:56:16 AM »
Well, as a long-time (42 years) distance runner/racer here in Charlotte, I will share my personal observations.  As others have said, proper hydration is critical.  When it's tortureously hot, don't do it (whatever).  I play golf for fun.  I much prefer to walk.  But I don't believe there is any virture in torturing myself, or worse, walking when it's extremely hot and humid.  I don't have to prove I'm "tough" enough to stand the heat.  We've had a string of 90 degree days here.  Yesterday I went out to play at 10:00, intending to walk the first nine, ride the second.  When I stepped out of my car at the club, I knew it would be "ride all the way."  I enjoyed my round.  I would not have enjoyed it after the first few holes if I had walked.

Mark Johnson

« Reply #39 on: June 08, 2011, 08:41:31 PM »
It figures that the USGA doesn't allow push or pull carts nothwithstanding the trend of many private clubs that now allow them.

USGA allows them in Open qualifiers.

Tim Martin

« Reply #40 on: June 08, 2011, 09:26:08 PM »
It can be difficult for sure even in the mid atlantic.  High heat and high humidity are not good to play in.

I find that, more than any heat humidity related issue, the thing that I struggle with most is keeping a good grip.
I keep my grips clean and tacky but when its super humid, I really struggle to hold onto the club.

That gets me too. My hands sweat a lot and my right hand just wants to fly off the club. I may need to go to the two glove route.

I experienced these issues the last two days and it can be very unsettling. We routed for good weather all winter long in the Northeast and after a couple of 90 plus days I would rather play with 45 degree temps. When you feel like your grip on the club is compromised it does not promote positive swing thoughts. Dry gloves and a couple of towels is key.

Tim Martin

« Reply #41 on: June 08, 2011, 09:42:17 PM »

Being outside for 5 hours plus while walking 5 miles in 90 degree and higher heat with high humidity is certainly nothing a doctor would advise any patient to do-healthy or not. It can most certainly be done without incident as we all do it but it can also be extremely  stressful on the body if the proper precautions are not taken. As far as cricket goes can you work up a sweat in that game? ;)

Tom ORourke

« Reply #42 on: June 09, 2011, 10:28:01 AM »
I have walked and carried in 100 degree heat, albeit on a short, flat course. My plan is to stop at every water fountain, fill the water bottle, pour all of it over my head and face, refill it, and drink it until the next water fountain. Walk in the shade. Repeat. Any breeze will cause condensation on the water on my face to cool me down a little.

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #43 on: June 09, 2011, 09:11:38 PM »
O.K., I'll brag now that I've survived.

I've walked 18 holes 6 of the last 7 days in Georgia, with the high at 93* or higher (96* today), and the day I did NOT walk (Monday), I had a colonoscopy!

I still feel pretty good, though I am a bit relieved to be riding tomorrow in a round with some old friends that I don't get to see nearly enough.

I'll be 59 in July, so I feel pretty good about my fitness level.  Survival keys:
    1. I am completely acclimated; I walk year round.
    2. Good clothing that wicks sweat away effectively
    3. Vented wide-brim hat that keeps the sun off my face and neck
    5. I never, NEVER pass water on the course without filling and drinking a full 20 oz. bottle

FWIW, I carry 6 gloves and change every three holes regardless.  I wear really good sunglasses, really good shoes and socks, and I play FAST. 

To relate this back to Todd Hamilton, I'd still like to know how he would have played the next day, but I'd love to see him walk and carry his own bag in the Open.  He'd be my hero.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Doug Siebert

« Reply #44 on: June 10, 2011, 02:37:35 AM »
I played once when it was 102 degrees.  It was humid also, but I have no idea what the heat index was.  I carried and I was OK, but I was also 21 years old at the time...  Back then I used to carry a quart thermos in my bag and I'd refill it with water every few holes -  the courses used to all have big 10 gallon jugs of ice water every few holes (now no one does due to concerns over Legionaire's or whatever giving them an excuse to force you to buy from the beer girl)  I remember I had to take 2 clubs extra on every shot because I had to swing slow since I don't wear a glove :)

Now I basically won't play if the dewpoint is over 70.  I don't care if its 75 degrees with that dewpoint or 95.  And actually, 75 degrees with that dewpoint IS worse because with so little difference between the temp and the humidity your sweat won't evaporate.  On those high dewpoint days if I want to get outside I'll go for a bike ride, unless its windy in which case I'll go for a run instead.  Or best of all, hit a pool or lake!
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back