News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

THuckaby2

Re: Spring Get Together / Forsgate CC / June 19
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2003, 07:08:49 AM »
Matt - I swear I am not being a smart-ass here, this is a legit question:  is the name for #16 really mis-spelled by the course, or did you do this here?  You do it twice, so I didn't think it was a typo... and I don't mean anything by this, it just intrigues me that the course would get it wrong if so...

It's North Bertwick (with an "i").

TH
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

SPDB

« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2003, 07:11:45 AM »
classic!

I love it when people are trying to correct a mistake and then
compound the problem by adding another error.

sorry to pick on you tom.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2003, 07:13:23 AM »
Tom:

When speeling came up in grammar school I was too busy zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz at the time! ;)

Confirmed placements (newest ones in bold print) have now reached 22 and include the following:

David Barrett
Alan Bastable
Chris Blakely
Sean Blakely
Geoff Childs
FRITZ CIARFELLO
Craig Disher
John Filmyer
STEVE FISHER
STEVE MILLBERGER
Corey Miller
Tony Pioppi
Michael Policano
Mike Prystonsky
Steve Sayers
Lowell Schmidt
Frank Sekulic
Mike Sweeney
Frank Thomas + Guest
Matt Ward
Les Zimmerman

Remember the deadline to enter is Friday, June 13 -- don't be unlucky and wait toooooooooo long!

P.S. Please include your approximate handicap when forwarding your info. Thanks!

THuckaby2

« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2003, 07:19:29 AM »
SPDB - oh yeah, that was a GOOD ONE!  Where's the red-faced icon...  :-[ :-[ :-[

It is NORTH BERWICK.  Yeah, that's what I meant.   ;)

In any case, it's not the course that got this wrong, so that's cool.  Matt, you are allowed errors, that's for sure!  It just would have been very weird to me if the course got it wrong... wouldn't be the first time something like this happened though....

Sounds like a hell of an event anyway, wish I could get out east.  Some day!

TH

Matt_Ward

« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2003, 07:20:18 AM »
Just as I finish posting names for the event there comes in another foursome. Things are certainly moving fast ...

Confirmed placements (newest ones in bold print) have now reached 26 and include the following:

David Barrett
Alan Bastable
Chris Blakely
Sean Blakely
Geoff Childs
JOHN CIANO
Fritz Ciarfello
Craig Disher
John Filmyer
Steve Fisher
MIKE KENNEDY
Steve Millberger
Corey Miller
Tony Pioppi
Michael Policano
Mike Prystonsky
Steve Sayers
Lowell Schmidt
Frank Sekulic
Mike Sweeney
Frank Thomas + Guest
JOE TIBLE
BILL WALMSLEY
Matt Ward
Les Zimmerman

Remember the deadline to enter is Friday, June 13 -- don't be unlucky and wait toooooooooo long!

P.S. Please include your approximate handicap when forwarding your info. Thanks!

Matt_Ward

« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2003, 11:13:00 AM »
Just wanted to post this so all of those participating can make note of ...

DIRECTIONS TO FORSGATE

Take NJ Tpke to Exit 8A. After you pay exit toll the road splits -- stay left for Rte 32 East / Jamesburg & Monroe. Proceed past two traffic lights and after the second the entrance to the club is 200 yards on your left.

Direct phone # to the club is (732) 521-0070

The event is a go UNLESS the course is closed by the Superintendent. If there is any doubt people should call the above number and ask for me. I will try to get back in touch with people promptly but no guarantees can be made. The best advice -- be ready to play that day!

Matt_Ward

« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2003, 11:14:40 AM »
Just wanted to post this so all of those participating can make note of ...

DIRECTIONS TO FORSGATE

Take NJ Tpke to Exit 8A. After you pay exit toll the road splits -- stay left for Rte 32 East / Jamesburg & Monroe. Proceed past two traffic lights and after the second the entrance to the club is 200 yards on your left.

Direct phone # to the club is (732) 521-0070

The event is a go UNLESS the course is closed by the Superintendent. If there is any doubt people should call the above number and ask for me. I will try to get back in touch with people promptly but no guarantees can be made. The best advice -- be ready to play that day!

Matt_Ward

« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2003, 10:06:47 AM »
Confirmed placements (newest ones in bold print) have now reached 30 and include the following:

David Barrett
Alan Bastable
Chris Blakely
Sean Blakely
Geoff Childs
John Ciano
Fritz Ciarfello
Craig Disher
John Filmyer
Steve Fisher
JOHN FREW +3
Mike Kennedy
Steve Millberger
Corey Miller
Tony Pioppi
Michael Policano
Mike Prystonsky
Steve Sayers
Lowell Schmidt
Frank Sekulic
Mike Sweeney
Frank Thomas + Guest
Joe Tible
Bill Walmsely
Matt Ward
Les Zimmerman

Remember the deadline to enter is TOMORROW --

Friday, June 13 -- don't be unlucky and wait toooooooooo long!

Matt_Ward

« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2003, 08:43:48 AM »
TODAY -- IS DUE DAY!

Please contact me if via e-mail if you are still interested in participating. The final listing and pairings will be posted on Monday.

Rob_Waldron

« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2003, 12:06:09 PM »
Matt & CO

Enjoy the Banks Course. It is truly a unique experience. I love the deep bunkers and the elevation changes in the greens. Your host Chris Schiavone, President of RDC Golf is a gentleman and great guy who loves playing the classic courses.

I would love to join you, unfortunately I have a conflict with my Member Guest (I am Chairman). I am sure everyone will enjoy the golf course.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2003, 04:52:39 PM »
I must confess I now understand why you call this a spring get together. I was cold in Mass last week. lol

Matt_Ward

« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2003, 05:13:27 PM »
Just a note for those coming to the event on Thursday. Please refrain from using cell phones except when you are by your automobile. The club frowns upon their use anywhere near the confines of the course(s) and I quite agree.

The actual pairings will be posted tomorrow as some people have opted out -- while others have opted in.

Looking forward to a grand day ...

matt

Matt_Ward

« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2003, 07:55:03 AM »
One last thing -- if someone could bring a digital camera to the event we will be able to post pictures of the event on GCA along with a capsule summary on the particulars.

For those wondering about the weather I have contacted the club regarding a raindate in the event play cannot be accomodated because of the weather. The club is in the process in finalizing my suggestion to permit a future round at the convenience of the person playing and with some flexibility to the club.

Here's the deal --

You must show up at the event tomorrow if you've committed in order to get this option. Those who don't come (even if it's raining in the morning) cannot phone in for this option or do it via e-mail to me. It's quite simple -- you don't show up you forfeit the option and the $100 you paid and you get no future make-up round. No other solution will be considered.

Second, the club will likely be flexible to accomodate a future make-up round but it's unlikely that option will be available during weekends / holidays. Also, the future round is only for the people who originally signed-up -- if you should desire to bring a friend later on that must be cleared with the club and they will be responsible for any fees to play.

See everyone tomorrow ...

matt

P.S. Any questions / comments please e-mail me. Adios for now ...

Matt_Ward

« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2003, 01:44:39 PM »
Below are the pairings for tomorrow's event. Please realize that the event is on even though the forecast is a mixed bag with showers quite possible. Those failing to be present at Forsgate will forfeit a wonderful program and any possibility on securing a raindate for a future round.

I still need handicaps for some of the folks below. Please see me tomorrow and provide that info. If anyone has any questions please e-mail me. See ya then ... ;)

*1st Hole
Corey Miller
Mike Sweeney
Matt Ward (2)

*2nd Hole
Craig Disher (11)
Bill Vostinak
Frank Sekulic

*4th Hole
Fritz Ciarfello
Lowell Schmidt
Steve Fisher
Steve Millberger

*5th Hole  
Alan Bastable (17)
Frank Thomas (5)
Valerie Melvin (0)

*6th Hole
John Frew (8) / MGWA
Bob Miceli (6)
Gordon Marchand (12)
Chris Hutner (8)

*7th Hole
Michael Policano
Chris Blakely (23)
Sean Blakely (33)

*8th Hole
Tony Pioppi
Geoff Childs
Les Zimmerman (5)
Mike Prystonsky

*9th Hole
Mike Kennedy
Tom Carr (22)
Bill Walmsley
Joe Tible

Matt_Ward

« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2003, 01:46:10 PM »
Correction -- Frew and Hutner are both eight handicaps.

Sorry about the error ... ::)

Matt_Ward

« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2003, 12:20:18 PM »
The event Thursday at Forsgate turned out as good as can be expected as the "mega-fine" ::) Northeast spring weather we've been having could not dampen the spirits of the 25 or so people who attended.

Many thanks to the folks at Forsgate (hats off to General Manager Greg Hobbs, Director of Golf Rick Hughes and Director of ales / Catering Lina Lorna) for permitting those attending the opportunity to play yesterday when the rain stopped AND offering all of the attendees the opportunity to return and play the course (with guest in tow / provided guest fee is paid) a future round at no additional expense.

The Banks Course is indeed a special one and I do agree with a few of the folks who mentioned that some additional tree cutting would add to the visual appeal that Banks originally created on the rolling terrain.

At my behest I asked the superintendent Bob Ribbans (kudos to him for having the course looking so good even with all the aqua that has been Jersey's plight for too long this spring) to place the pins in some "challenging" positions. He complied admirably with all of the par-3's and a few of the par-4's. On the Eden par-3 3rd hole the pin was flush right and was protected strongly by the flanking bunkers.

At the reverse redan 7th hole the pin was cut to the far right and only the boldest of plays would settle near the flag. At the horseshoe 12th the pin was cut in the extreme center rear just beyond the horseshoe contour. And at the biaritz 17th hole the pin was cut near the front making it quite entertaining. Kudos to Corey Miller who canned a 60 foot bomb putt at the mind-boggling 16th green with all of its unique contours. I have to say that collectively ther par-3's at Forsgate are indeed a very special quartet and worthy of attention from architectural fans.

The Banks Course is generally underappreciated and truly unknown to people who live 100 miles or more from the course. Located in central Jersey (exit 8A of the NJ Tpke) the course provides enough distance (the course has added a few back tees to push total distance to just over 6,700 yards) but it is quite user-friendly provided you keep the ball in play off the tee. The Jersey Golfer has The Banks Course as the 8th best in the state although personally I believe I would have it around 11th or 12th.

Many thanks to the keynote speaker Frank Thomas -- the former Technical Director for the USGA. Frank discussed a number of key issues relating to technology and many of his points were previously posted by me from an interview I conducted with Frank for Jersey Golfer.

In sum, Frank pointed out that the most additional yards that can be gained even if all restrictions were dropped would be at best 15 more yards. Frank outlined the gains that came from the springlike effect for the elite players and how those at the USGA really caved in to the legal arguments in 1998 and avoided what should have been done then since the language of "no springs" for golf clubs has been around since 1907.

Many thanks to all who came and shared in some good golf and some 19th hole camaraderie. ;)

P.S. A future get together is being discussed for another Jersey architectural gem sometime in either late July or early August!

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #41 on: June 01, 2011, 09:26:14 PM »
The end of the Matt Ward era at GCA.com. He is a Wild Man, but he was a contributor for years and years.

Thanks Matt.

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #42 on: June 01, 2011, 09:39:51 PM »
Hold on there, pardner. That post of yours Mike lacks information bang for our Matto buck. So put that Bang 4deg driver down for a sec and give us the info. Whither Ward?

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #43 on: June 01, 2011, 10:41:33 PM »
Nice post, Mike.  Matt deserves at least that. I don't know him, never met him, often disagreed with him (mostly in my own head), but he was a valuable - no, a very valuable -- contributer: a well travelled golfer with a strong pov and thought-out opinions that he shared and debated freely. Most of all, he took golf course architecture seriously - and what more could you ask of a participant on this site. I hope he comes back -- I can't imagine what caused him or compelled him to quit here so suddenly, and I hadn't seen any sign of a major dust-up.  It's a shame. He slung some sh-t at some folks, but he also took more than his share of shots around here. I miss him already.

Fare the well, Mr. Ward.

Peter

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #44 on: June 01, 2011, 10:57:22 PM »
Matt is a free agent now. He's involved in an event at The Knoll this summer. Contact me for details.

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

JNC Lyon

« Reply #45 on: June 02, 2011, 04:41:43 PM »
Matt:

I know you're still reading the board.  Come back to the site!  Your analysis has always been frank with a strong point of view, which you communicate clearly.  Honestly, we can't afford to lose another longtime contributor, and you will definitely be missed here.  Also, who else will we argue with about executive courses?  :)
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back