News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David Kelly

Mac,
I was responding to what you wrote, nowhere did I write that I liked the mounds much less that I wanted them to block the bunker.  Blocking the entrance to a redan green seems inexplicable to me as the purpose of the right front of a redan green is for the golfer to be able to utilize it to feed the ball towards the middle of the green. So why would you build a redan and then stop players from playing it like a redan?

I've never played Old White and hadn't seen those chocolate drops before so I was taken aback when I saw the picture.  They certainly look old-timey but I think the hole would look better without them.  From what I saw from a single set of photographs of course.
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Mac Plumart

Perhaps this is a phenomena of internet communication or miscommunication.  I wasn't trying to say that you (David) said to move the Teeth over to block the bunker.  I was having fun and being a goof.  The next time I feel like having fun and being light-hearted, I'll make sure I'm not doing it on this site. 
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Scott Warren

Mac,

I was trying to say that moving them over makes more "sense" than blocking off a hazard with a hazard.

You think a Redan green blocked by rough-covered conical mounds makes more sense than having them off to the side short of the bunker?

(working on the basis that they have to go somewhere ie. removal isn't an option)

EDIT - Accepting that your comment to David was a joke, this quote above seems to have been made genuinely (it's in both reply #8 and reply #25). Forgive me if it was also intended as a joke.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 11:09:11 PM by Scott Warren »

Mac Plumart

I think I'd put them right in the middle of the green.  Maybe at an angle that is perpendicular to the tee box.  I think this would add some real quirk to the hole and really make it memorable, kind of likes its own unique mark.  It would add an extra layer of interest to both putting and the tee shot.  Pin placement will make all the difference in how the hole plays.

Maybe I should cut and paste a link to this post on the "What can we teach Tom Doak" thread?  This idea is freakin' genius.

David Kelly

I think I'd put them right in the middle of the green.  Maybe at an angle that is perpendicular to the tee box.  I think this would add some real quirk to the hole and really make it memorable, kind of likes its own unique mark.  It would add an extra layer of interest to both putting and the tee shot.  Pin placement will make all the difference in how the hole plays.

Maybe I should cut and paste a link to this post on the "What can we teach Tom Doak" thread?  This idea is freakin' genius.

See now I think you're joking there but I can't be sure.
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Mac Plumart

:)

Hitting the rack.  'Night y'all!

Scott Warren

Here's an idea of how your Ultimate Old White Redan might look, Mac.

I don't buy for a second that you were only joking about the mounds making more sense in front of the green than in front of the bunker (twice, more than 24hrs apart).

Mac Plumart

Scott...you bastard!!   :)

I'm exhausted, kids are sick, I've had to work late tonight and you post that picture.  Awesome!!!  Totally awesome!!  I wish I could do cut and paste work like that.  I'm trying to think what we could call that hole...the Mac-dan, Plumart-dan...eh, brain isn't working well right now concerning cool names.  But regardless, I'm saving that picture and maybe it will replace the Sitwell Green as my screen saver.  Nice work.  You see you can't just hit any ol' drawing run up shot, you'll have to now add the variable of splitting the Dragon's Teeth.  Genius I say...genius!!!  Move over Doak, here I come...and now Scott is on my design team!!!

Now for real, I'm turning off my computer and going to sleep.  Unless of course, my kids get sick some more tonight.   >:(

EDIT...I just saw this line...I don't buy for a second that you were only joking about the mounds making more sense in front of the green than in front of the bunker (twice, more than 24hrs apart).   And I'll say for a third time, it makes MORE sense to me to block off a green than a hazard with a hazard.  Neither one is a good idea, but if you have to use the Dragon's Teeth, why block off a hazard?  Do I need to say it a fourth time?  

I was joking around with David.  Scott, re-read from post 23 on.  I was joking with David on post #23.  I think it makes clear sense from then on.  If it doesn't make sense to you with all this extra communication and clarity, I can't help you.  Sorry.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 11:36:03 PM by Mac Plumart »

Eric Smith

Rich Choi hits it out of the park with the naming of this game. Template Hole Madness indeed!

Those mounds look pretty ugly to me, while Chris Cupit's course, which I have played, has a really nice 4th hole.

Ring me up for Rivermont please.

Richard Choi

13 to 3, Old White wins and moves on to meet Old Macdonald #12!

Scott Warren

The Dragon's Teeth live to fight another day! ;D

Mac Plumart

;D :D ;) :D ;D

Lester George

Gents,

The dragons teeth are found in the aerial photos from the twenties so I put them back in 2004.  The shoulder of the green was restored and the green was put back to its original shape.  The sub-grade was kept as it was in the twenties.  Like the dragons teeth or not, Raynor left them there.

Lester

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back