News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim_Kennedy

"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Will MacEwen

Re: OH CANADA
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 11:35:53 AM »
My home club.

The week was cold, wet and windy.  I played the course on Tuesday afternoon.  I think the event tees would have been about 6800 yards, and we are right at sea level.  Rough was quite juicy, and the fairways were narrowed considerably.  Friday, which was day 4, was miserably cold and rainy.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011, 11:54:36 AM »
......an even more impressive accomplishment.

edit: Will, did you get to see any of it?
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 12:05:45 PM by Jim_Kennedy »
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Garland Bayley

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2011, 01:09:54 PM »
As the article mentions she has repeatedly tried to qualify for men's events and men's tour. She has not been at a successful against the women, so I guess she is taking the easy way out. ;) There must be some money behind her, as she doesn't appear to make any money playing golf.

With so many holes in the women's tour schedule, I think they should leave the schedule open for mens US Open qualifying dates, and encourage the ladies to play those. I bet we would quickly have at least one woman in the US Open.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Jordan Caron

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2011, 01:27:15 PM »
My home club.

The week was cold, wet and windy.  I played the course on Tuesday afternoon.  I think the event tees would have been about 6800 yards, and we are right at sea level.  Rough was quite juicy, and the fairways were narrowed considerably.  Friday, which was day 4, was miserably cold and rainy.

Not sure if we have chatted before Will but I played at the Star from '95 -'00.  It was an awesome place to test my game especially using the back tees and the equipment.  Haven't played there in a couple of years but the course seemed to be in ok shape but it went drastically downhill during my time there due to a few changes of ownership and a good Superintendent leaving for Asia.

I could imagine with the weather we've had lately the course would be grinning it's teeth even if it wasn't tipped out.  It always provides a solid test (except for the BC Am there a few years ago) for every level of golfer.

With so many holes in the women's tour schedule, I think they should leave the schedule open for mens US Open qualifying dates, and encourage the ladies to play those. I bet we would quickly have at least one woman in the US Open.

There is no way this would happen quickly.  I am not discounting how talented some of these ladies are but there are just too many solid players in the US Open qualifiers with very limited spots. 

Garland Bayley

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2011, 01:35:28 PM »

There is no way this would happen quickly.  I am not discounting how talented some of these ladies are but there are just too many solid players in the US Open qualifiers with very limited spots. 

Give me a break man. It would happen the first year. There has been one attempt by a top woman player, who had it made until the last 2 or 3 holes as I recall. Had she been in a different qualifier, she would have been in.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Jordan Caron

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2011, 01:39:51 PM »

Give me a break man. It would happen the first year. There has been one attempt by a top woman player, who had it made until the last 2 or 3 holes as I recall. Had she been in a different qualifier, she would have been in.

Wouldn't she have been the first year? :)  What was her name?  I don't remember anything about this. 

Garland Bayley

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2011, 02:17:12 PM »

Wouldn't she have been the first year? :)  What was her name?  I don't remember anything about this.  

It was a pretty high profile story Jordan. Michelle Wie is her name. She did it at about age 17 before she had won on the LPGA tour. She tried it at a final qualifying event near the LPGA tour site she last played in that had a lot of top level talent. The conclusion is that if she had gone back home to event in Hawaii, she probably would have made it.

And, there is a difference between the first year where a sizable number of them try vs. the year where one of them tried and almost made it.
:P
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 02:18:49 PM by Garland Bayley »

Will MacEwen

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2011, 03:02:35 PM »
Jordan,

I can imagine Morningstar was quite a beast in that era.  Even now from the blues, it is a pretty stern test.  Very little forgiveness on 5-6-7, and disaster is always looming for me on 9 or 12.  The course doesn't really suit my game, but has made me a better player.  I tend to scrape the ball around.

The current super does a great job.  The greens this week were the best ever.  I think he faces some pretty stern challenges but keeps the course in smooth shape.

I get about 10 rounds a year in at Qualicum, which is always fun.

Jordan Caron

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2011, 04:33:16 PM »
It was a pretty high profile story Jordan. Michelle Wie is her name. She did it at about age 17 before she had won on the LPGA tour. She tried it at a final qualifying event near the LPGA tour site she last played in that had a lot of top level talent. The conclusion is that if she had gone back home to event in Hawaii, she probably would have made it.

And, there is a difference between the first year where a sizable number of them try vs. the year where one of them tried and almost made it.
:P

Still don't remember this happening (maybe I was abducted by aliens for a week!) but yeah, she was really close in 2005 finishing as a third alternate.  She tried again in 2006 but that is all I can see.  Have any ladies tried since?

It wouldn't be a bad move to see the LPGA Tour or even it's players to clue in and think about the PR they would receive for attempting to qualify.  Even more so if they do happen to qualify.  

Garland Bayley

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2011, 01:05:07 AM »
Isabell is the only female I know of other than Michelle that tried to qualify for the mens open. I am under the impression she has tried several times, and fallen flat each time.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back