News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dale Jackson

Early Golf Courses With Driving Ranges
« on: May 24, 2011, 06:05:17 PM »
This may have been covered before but a frustrating few  minutes with the "search" tool on the website turned nothing up.

What are some of the earliest golf courses that had driving ranges built as part of the course construction?  Which early courses added them soon after?  Dates would be helpful.
I've seen an architecture, something new, that has been in my mind for years and I am glad to see a man with A.V. Macan's ability to bring it out. - Gene Sarazen

Jeff_Mingay

Re: Early Golf Courses With Driving Ranges
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2011, 08:18:55 PM »
Colwood. Victoria, B.C. (1913)  ;)
jeffmingay.com

Dale Jackson

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2011, 08:27:18 PM »
Colwood. Victoria, B.C. (1913)  ;)

Thanks I needed that.  Have you and I ever talked about this?  I am wondering if there were any before Colwood and who they were.
I've seen an architecture, something new, that has been in my mind for years and I am glad to see a man with A.V. Macan's ability to bring it out. - Gene Sarazen

RSLivingston_III

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2011, 08:41:43 PM »
I think you will find quite a few Clubs that were formed in the 'teens' had driving ranges. I know of one Club in my town (1916) that had one constructed during the courses construction large enough to support about a half dozen teachers to keep up with the growth of the game.
Back then people did go to an instructor to learn the game. They were apparently used for teaching more than practicing, but I would assume that also depends on how well established the course was.
"Modern Golf' by Harold Hilton (1913) has a very interesting chapter that includes practice.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 08:46:23 PM by RSLivingston_III »
"You need to start with the hickories as I truly believe it is hard to get inside the mind of the great architects from days gone by if one doesn't have any sense of how the equipment played way back when!"  
       Our Fearless Leader

SL_Solow

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2011, 09:59:58 PM »
Ross built Maniac Hill at Pinehurst around 1910 according to several articles i have read.  For years it was referred to as the first practice range in the US but I suspect that may have been puffing.

Dale Jackson

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2011, 01:15:59 AM »
Ross built Maniac Hill at Pinehurst around 1910 according to several articles i have read.  For years it was referred to as the first practice range in the US but I suspect that may have been puffing.

This might be it, this link seems to confirm it was the first.

http://www.golfrange.org/articles/winter_2010/GR_W10_Pinehurst.pdf

Bruce Wellmon

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2011, 03:37:36 PM »
I haven't played Palmetto in Aiken, SC (1892) in years.
They have a small/short driving range /warm up area for "irons only."

http://www.palmettogolfclub.net/history.htm

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back