News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

RJ_Daley

Sure, it is all part of life, but these two stories about a Twin Cities legend and a young athlete calling the TC home, are particularly sad in one day.

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_18057280

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_18061500

No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Jason Topp

Re: It's been a rough few days for Twin City sports fans...
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011, 12:57:15 AM »
I will never forget my first Twins game in 1973. Bat day. Mickey Lolich v. Jim Kaat. We got there early for batting practice and I was mesmerized by the seats in the upper deck that had been marked to indicate where some of Killebrew's longest shots landed. 

The game was a blowout 8-2.  Our bleacher seats were down the 3rd base line and probably would cost $75 today. Dick McAulliffe hit a grand slam for the Tigers.  Killebrew played and it shocked me that a guy that old played baseball.  Now, I am far older than he was at the time. 

It was a magical 7th birthday for a kid from rural Iowa. 

Terry Lavin

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011, 11:32:42 AM »
Harmon Killebrew is a legend, a good man and one of the faces of a proud franchise.

I didn't know or follow the hockey player who died, but this business of concussions, brain injury and death in sports is beyond frightening.  There are athletes in the grave because of chronic traumatic encephalopathy who have never had a documented concussion.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Jud_T

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2011, 11:41:14 AM »
I saw Killebrew hit one clear out of the old Comiskey Park, which I believe was only done a handful of times.  The bat looked like a toothpick in his hands.  A legend from what seems another time now...
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Doug Wright

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 11:07:13 AM »
As a kid growing up in western NY I had no business rooting for the Twins, but I did in part because of Harmon Killebrew. When we would occasionally see the Twins on the Saturday game of the week he was mesmerizing with his power. One of the best swings of a baseball bat I've ever seen--compact and with terrific leverage.

Here is an old Home Run Derby episode between Harmon and Mickey Mantle:

http://jockpost.com/tribute-harmon-killebrew-mickey-mantle-classic-home-run-derby-video/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibR6njQphaI

Twitter: @Deneuchre

Carl Nichols

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2011, 12:30:57 PM »
I will never forget my first Twins game in 1973. Bat day. Mickey Lolich v. Jim Kaat. We got there early for batting practice and I was mesmerized by the seats in the upper deck that had been marked to indicate where some of Killebrew's longest shots landed. 

The game was a blowout 8-2.  Our bleacher seats were down the 3rd base line and probably would cost $75 today. Dick McAulliffe hit a grand slam for the Tigers.  Killebrew played and it shocked me that a guy that old played baseball.  Now, I am far older than he was at the time. 

It was a magical 7th birthday for a kid from rural Iowa. 

Dick McAulliffe was a member at the country club where I worked in the bag room for a few years during high school.  He had forearms the size of Popeye's, and incredibly (to me at least) he played entirely cross-handed.  He was a very good player and probably came close to winning the club championship in his late 40's/early 50's. 

JMEvensky

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2011, 12:53:10 PM »
RIP Harmon...

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=capress-bbo_obit_killebrew-6874178&active_dimension=carousel_coke_today&ysp_frm_woah=1

I had the good fortune of sitting behind him and his brother on a plane when we were each going to Cooperstown for the 1983 induction ceremony.He sat there the entire flight answering questions from a buddy and me--questions he had probably answered 1000 times.You don't often get to spend 2 hours talking baseball with a guy in the HOF.He couldn't have been more gracious.

What a great guy.

Dan Kelly

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2011, 01:25:32 PM »
Class -- from Day 1 to the end.

That was Harmon Killebrew. See http://minnesota.twins.mlb.com/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20110513&content_id=19005846&vkey=pr_min&fext=.jsp&c_id=min

He was not the Twins' only great player in those days -- but he WAS the Twins, as Kirby Puckett was later, and as no one else has ever been.

I'm feeling much older today.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 01:30:44 PM by Dan Kelly »
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2011, 01:34:01 PM »
Since the Twins were swept from the playoffs last fall, it's like some sort of black plague has hit the Minnesota sports scene. The Vikings were horrendous, the pro basketball and hockey teams both played abysmally and missed the playoffs, the Gopher basketball and hockey teams collapsed and missed the NCAA tournaments (the basketball team didn't even make the NIT), the Twins are off to one of their worst starts in history, and now Harmon Killebrew dies.

And the weather has sucked since last fall.

We're paying for something, but damned if I can figure out what it is.

"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Dan Kelly

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2011, 01:38:01 PM »

There was only one such seat, in the upper deck of the left-field pavilion at Metropolitan Stadium. Killebrew was, I believe, the only player (certainly the only Twin) ever to hit a ball into that upper deck.

The marked seat now hangs from the wall at the Nickelodeon amusement park inside the Mall of America -- built on the site of Met Stadium.

There's a plaque where home plate was, too.
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

JMEvensky

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2011, 01:39:05 PM »

We're paying for something, but damned if I can figure out what it is.

Allowing the Lincoln Del to close.Those pies should have been available in perpetuity.

PCCraig

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2011, 03:01:05 PM »

There was only one such seat, in the upper deck of the left-field pavilion at Metropolitan Stadium. Killebrew was, I believe, the only player (certainly the only Twin) ever to hit a ball into that upper deck.

The marked seat now hangs from the wall at the Nickelodeon amusement park inside the Mall of America -- built on the site of Met Stadium.

There's a plaque where home plate was, too.

I saw that the first and only (and maybe the last?) time I made a trip to the Mall of America and was very very impressed.
H.P.S.

Jud_T

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2011, 04:00:45 PM »
Pat,

Guaranteed that come next January you'll be spending a lot more time at the MOA... :o
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back