News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Adam Clayman

Nebraska Golf Assoc. Picks hardest "Dream" 18
« on: May 10, 2011, 08:02:39 AM »
http://www.omaha.com/article/20110505/SPORTS/110509848/1128#nga-picks-best-holes-in-western-nebraska

I know very little about this organization, which, imo, is a pity.

However, after reading this list, its a mixed bag of logic and sends the wrong message. Hardest and dream, being the mixed bag.

Should regional association be putting out lists of this type?
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

John Kavanaugh

Re: Nebraska Golf Assoc. Picks hardest "Dream" 18
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 08:17:09 AM »
Adam,

If you look at the holes chosen and note that the word hard is not used in the article you may take away that they are identifying the best holes of the lot.  I could argue that they chose the best par 3, 4 and 5 at Dismal, Wild Horse and Sand Hills respectively, not the hardest.

I am happy that they only chose one hole per course as on my trip next month from Omaha to Denver I may stop by one of these previously unheard of courses.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011, 08:28:26 AM »
John, I interpreted "most challenging" as hardest.

The inclusion of Bayside's 11th confirmed it for me. As did the first at Sand Hills.

The distinction of picking one hole per course, yet the Prairie Club gets two, one from each course, was a distinction without a difference.

Surely if the best holes were picked, there would be more holes from fewer courses.

"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2011, 08:50:17 AM »
Adam,

I only take this as an advertisement for Nebraska golf.  I am surprised that they did not include a hole from Awarii given it opens this month and I would think Stu had visited.

Funny thing, I thought the first at Sand Hills was one of the easiest on the course.  No doubt the 15th at Dismal is not the hardest par 3 and maybe one of the most traditional holes on the entire course.

If the best holes were picked they would need far more than 18.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2011, 09:05:02 AM »
John, As I intimated in my post, I'm not very familiar with the NGA. Maybe that's my fault, but, comparing it to the NCGA in NorCal, I feel like there's no support for the game, the growth, or the competitions, that make the NCGA the best I have seen. Again, I admit, I am not actively seeking out tournament golf lately, but, the least I would expect is some chatter amongst the avid golfers I meet. They take their dues for GHIN, and that's all I ever see or hear of them.

I do agree about not including the newest prairie links, Awarii Dunes. It's placement in Kearney gives it a geographical advantage over courses another 2 hours west. Perhaps it's opening date has kept it from being included.

One of the interesting things I've noticed, as it relates to High School golfers is how the best all seem to come from this end of the state. Granted, the size of the schools are smaller and maybe an inherent bias in my observations.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2011, 09:17:01 AM »
So, If you had to pick one hole from each course which would you pick?  Identifying which hole puts your state in the best light for visiting golfers.  I'm content with the holes chosen for Sand Hills, Wild Horse and Dismal, the only three courses listed that I have played.

I will admit that I would not have picked the 15th at Dismal.  I feel the 10th captures the spirit of the course much better but does not photograph as well.  The 5th is too difficult and blind for most, but would be my pick to represent what to expect and receive that is rare and wonderful about the Dismal experience.

Why not pick the 1st at Sand Hills and the 15th at Wild Horse is my favorite because I love the 10th at Riviera that much.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2011, 09:41:43 AM »
I'm not taking too much exception from the familiar courses, SH, WH, DR etc, but, some of the others, like the 15th at Cambridge, as an example, is just an unusual choice. As is the first at McCook.

The 3rd at York is a fine hole. But the best hole on that course is the 7th.

As you intimated, there may be a hidden agenda in selecting these holes.

You know I don't have the patience or anal ability to really dissect this list. I'm just commenting on the regional organization making such a list. But, it did get my attention, so, maybe it's served it's purpose. Credit does go to The Prairie Club for posting this on FB, otherwise, I doubt I'd have run into it, unless someone had posted it here.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2011, 10:01:34 AM »
Adam,

I've seen them do articles like this here in Spokane and in Utah as well.

In the end, it usually just resorts to a couple of bored  golf writers who have spent the winter holed up and are looking for any tiny shred of publicity to get the season started.  So they sit around, have a few beers, and think of the most cliche thing they can do. Then when golf season kicks into gear, they put one of these lists out, and it goes unnoticed by 99% of the population....but at least they had something to do in the middle of february to keep themselves going!  ;) ;)

Tony_Chapman

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2011, 10:43:01 AM »
Adam -- You know little about this organization because it isn't very good. That's about all I can say. While I commend them for doing this, if you go to www.nebgolf.org and click on the tiny 'news' tab in the bottom right you'll see the most recent posting from November of 2009. We are, indeed, a hidden gem for some fun golf west of US 81 (and east of it for that matter), but the way the news gets out; and tournaments are handled seem to be a pity. And, this is more unfortunate, is better than it was 15 years ago when I was a kid.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2011, 11:26:49 AM »
Adam,

Must I remind you that a nightmare is indeed a dream.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Adam Clayman

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2011, 12:36:41 PM »
Garland, That thought crossed my mind.

Tony, Thanks for the input. I suppose it's rather funny, but, likely just a typo, that the 3rd hole at York is a par 5. It's the 2nd that's a par 3.

http://www.yorkcountryclub.net/coursemap.html

JK, I'm not sure I understand the need to have only one hole from a course. The dream 18, or the best 18, is the best 18. Regardless where the holes come from.

Kalen, Point well taken.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2011, 01:12:01 PM »
Adam,

One hole per course is like one girl per state. 

Scott Szabo

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2011, 01:21:27 PM »
Adam,

Maybe I'm reading the list wrong, but I think they are referring to #11 at McCook and #18 at Cambridge. 

Have you played both courses?

McCook leaves a bit to be desired, but I really the course at Cambridge. 

#11 at McCook seems to be its "signature" hole, but I really don't care for it much.  As for #18 at Cambridge, it's quite a hole.  Especially with a back left pin overlooking the stream.

#11 at Bayside I just can't get past.  No matter how I play it I end up making bogey or more.  I've probably only parred it a couple of times in 10+ rounds, with no birdie to mention.  I don't know if there's another par five out there that has given me such fits.
"So your man hit it into a fairway bunker, hit the wrong side of the green, and couldn't hit a hybrid off a sidehill lie to take advantage of his length? We apologize for testing him so thoroughly." - Tom Doak, 6/29/10

Adam Clayman

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2011, 03:10:44 PM »
Scott. 11 in McCook would be a very odd choice. At least it would be the nightmare. From the power lines to unusual fronting Hillside its a unique experience. Cambridge 15 would have that similar tag, but as for 18, I don't remember it at all. The jumbled nature of the layout made it hard for me to see any gca merit, and pedestrian comes to mind, but I was only there once.  Its good to mention these unheard of(on here anyway) courses.  Interesting fact: Marty Johnson did the new nine in Cambridge at the same time he did the back nine at West Winds. Which is amazing as there is so much difference between the two. Heck, even the nine holer in Sutherland , Oregon Trails is up 30 percent in revenue. Marty did that one too. Not sure if it was only grassing it or if he did real work on the course.

Tony_Chapman

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2011, 10:27:49 PM »
Adam -- I'm sure it was a typo. The second is my favorite par-3 at York. At 210 yards and early in the round it can ruin your attitude quite quickly. I've made every number from 2 to 7. I'll always love YCC -- flaws and all -- but it is home and always will be for me. The pictures in the MHC don't even do it justice anymore. It's so much better with the new, young green keeper in the past three years you wouldn't even recognize the place.

John -- Would love to have you at York on your trip out. Five minutes off the interstate about halfway between Omaha and Kearney.

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/in-my-opinion/yorkcountryclub/

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2011, 11:34:36 PM »
Tony,

I would love to play York some day.  I am afraid after playing Omaha CC around noon and then eating at Big Moma's Kitchen, the Dismal Devil insists, we can not travel the 100 miles to York before dark. Thanks for the invite, perhaps plans will change. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back