News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Pete Lavallee

Mac,

Who do you think will be interested in building these extreme golf courses? Will it be municipalities, wealthy investors, or will they be real estate driven?
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Melvyn Morrow

I would not want to see real estate driven courses, because it would suggest that the course would suffer at every turn, always coming out second best to the prime investment, yet its seems the course is the real marketing tool for the real estate, so should not be compromised (IMHO).

Melvyn

Mac Plumart

Pete...

Amazing question.  And doesn't that cut right to the heart of the matter?

It seems to me the majority of the great clubs are built by a group of people who get together to simply build a great course.  Examples of this are NGLA, Pine Valley, and The Golf Club.  They aren't looking to make a business deal that will net them a bunch of money...they want to play good golf.  That is it.  In fact, The Golf Club's flags are probably the best I've ever seen especially when taken in the context of how they came about.  1/2 of the flag is red, the other black.  Fred Jones, the owner, said I'll either make money or lose my shirt...that is be in the red or the black.  But he didn't care...he wanted an ideal golf course.

So, who will build these courses?  I don't know.  Maybe it will only be me, playing with my friends, on my little 6 holer...but regardless, it will be fun.  Will I make money on it?  No.  I'm not selling memberships and I'm not charging greens fees.  But right now it is just a vision rather than a plan in motion.

I wrote the piece to stimulate discussion.  And maybe someone could take one or two ideas from the piece and the ensuing discussion and generate a good plan for the game.  Ron mentioned taking one or two of the local clubs in his neck of the woods and tweaking a green or a hole to "extreme" levels and see what happens.  Why not?  If the club is struggling already, maybe this will generate some interest. 

And you know what, I think there are already a few courses that exist today that might fit the category...as some have already mentioned and alluded to.  Ballyneal would fit.  Hole 8 is pretty extreme!  As is 12.  Not every hole needs to be off the charts extreme.  Just enough to create some buzz.  I think NGLA fits as well.  Check this thought out...would people still want to play NGLA if it was only hole 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6...and then stopped?  Are those holes good enough to get repeat business?   I say without hesitation...YES!!! 

So, anyway...just brainstorming.  I can see it working.  Actually, what is the Sheep Ranch like?  Does anyone play it?  Isn't it a mix and match routing?  Sounds like a winner to me.

Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Tony Weiler

Good stuff, Mac, thanks.  I loved Ballyneal and Sand Hills, the two best courses I have ever played.  I think they are very much different however, in that Ballyneal seems to fit what your article is hinting at more than Sand Hills.  Do you agree?

Mac Plumart

Tony...yes 100%.  I would say that Sand Hills does have that adventure feel to it given its landscape, particularly the size and scale of those bunkers.  But it seems to tone down the greens a bit more than Ballyneal does.  Ballyneal just might be the perfect course to which I am refering to.

Mac Plumart

I got a first hand taste of the epitome of what I am talking about with this "Extreme Golf" idea at North Berwick holes 13-18 on the West Links.  For me, that may have been the ideal stretch of golf holes.

Greens like this...

Approach shots like this...

And tee shots like this...

It was so interesting and exciting, I literally felt high.  What an experience!!!  More please. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back