News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ronald Montesano

"A parade of course architects"
« on: April 20, 2011, 07:37:45 PM »
"Alexander H. Findlay, known as the father of American golf, voluntarily designed the new 18-hole golf course. Soon after, five holes underwent Donald Ross revisions. The renovations continued through time, with a parade of course architects -- Albert (A.W.) Tillinghast, Willie Park Jr., Emil Loeffler and John McGlynn, Bill Irvin, Robert Trent Jones, Arthur Hills, Craig Schreiner and Tripp Davis -- playing a major role in the course's evolution."

What do you make of this statement? I am quite curious as to the reactions from Swiss Family Robinson...
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Tom_Doak

Re: "A parade of course architects"
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 09:15:00 PM »
Sounds like a club that can't make up its mind what they are trying to accomplish.  Or, a client that is impossible to satisfy.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 09:32:47 PM »
Sounds like the PFC underwent major surgeries at the behest of various club chairmen. 
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011, 09:35:23 PM »
Nicely done, Jim.  Google search?
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2011, 09:54:14 PM »
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2011, 10:02:57 PM »
I must have missed that thread ... I was amazed at the parade of architects ... we played a match with Shadyside a few years back at Fox Chapel and wondered if they had 36 holes. It wasn't until we returned home that I learned of PFC. Now I'd like to return one day to get a sense of the place.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Niall C

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2011, 01:10:00 PM »
"Alexander H. Findlay, known as the father of American golf, voluntarily designed the new 18-hole golf course. Soon after, five holes underwent Donald Ross revisions. The renovations continued through time, with a parade of course architects -- Albert (A.W.) Tillinghast, Willie Park Jr., Emil Loeffler and John McGlynn, Bill Irvin, Robert Trent Jones, Arthur Hills, Craig Schreiner and Tripp Davis -- playing a major role in the course's evolution."

What do you make of this statement? I am quite curious as to the reactions from Swiss Family Robinson...

Ronald

Seems like a fairly average club, tweaking there course as the years go by, using whatever architect happened to come into their orbit.

Niall

Kalen Braley

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2011, 01:12:16 PM »
So who is the course actually attributed to in the clubs history book?  ;D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back