News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dan Kelly

Re: A homemade golf course
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2002, 11:10:06 AM »
Tom --

Seems to me that, using Mr. Macdonald's basic idea for a practice course (three contiguous greens with three tees apiece ... I think; a Short, an Eden, a Redan?), you could build quite a facility on 10 acres.

You could have three sets of three contiguous greens, with three different tee boxes for each set of greens. Voila! A 27-hole facility! 3 short, medium, and long par-3s; 3 short, medium and long par-4s; 3 short, medium, and long par-5s! (Let the Green Committee figure out where to put holes 28-36 -- and screw up 1 through 27 in the process.)

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Paul Richards

« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2002, 02:00:11 PM »
If you ever get to visit Rich Harvest Farms outside Chicago,
you'll find a course build by a fellow who loves the game and,
thanks to his business successes, was able to buy, design,
and build his own golf course.  

I told Mr. Rich that he has lived the dream that all of us
has in the back of our minds!
"Something has to change, otherwise the never-ending arms race that benefits only a few manufacturers will continue to lead to longer courses, narrower fairways, smaller greens, more rough, more expensive rounds, and other mechanisms that will leave golf's future in doubt." -  TFOG

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2002, 05:24:39 PM »
Paul,

I saw Jerry Rich last week at Pine Tree and he indicated to someone that he might be doing a little tinkering.  I've been invited but haven't had the chance to see it yet, other than some pictures.  Perhaps it's another reason to get back to Chicago.

He also donated the clock by the putting green and first tee at Pine Tree, which was nice of him.

When Ran visits me in Florida, perhaps I'll be able to arrange an interview for GCA, it should be interesting.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back