News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

ward peyronnin

ANGC Chages over Time website
« on: April 11, 2011, 11:39:00 AM »
I spent Thursday and friday at the tournament

I really enjoyed following one player around for 18 holes, a hometown boy Jeff Overton against whom i coached  when he was in high school, because it is great to get a feel for the rythm this course introduces from hole to hole over the entire round. I highly recommend it to anyone who has the time.

Anyway some one turned me on to this link and i am not on enough to know if it has been shared before so I am offering it up.

I have some thoughts but will let someone else open it up ;D
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

Ben Kodadek

Re: ANGC Chages over Time website
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 01:36:16 PM »
Ward,

No link attached...

Mark Bourgeois

ward peyronnin

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 10:30:47 PM »
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

Tom MacWood

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2011, 06:55:37 AM »

This drawing is from Ed Oden's thread on maps, plans and drawings, and it looks like AM planned the Principles Nose bunker on #11. I don't believe it was an afterthought. I was a little surprised RW did not include it on his early rendering of the hole because it appears to have been there from the beginning and I know it lasted until at least 1950.

Tom MacWood

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2011, 07:37:34 AM »

Plan of Augusta from 1934 program

From that same thread, this plan shows the bunker was around in 1934.

BCrosby

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2011, 07:56:28 AM »
The PN bunker on 11 was, as noted, part of MacK's original design for the hole. It appears as late as 1941 in aerials of ANGC, so it survived Maxwell's changes. It was probably removed at the time of RTJ's changes in '47/48 to the 11th.

Bob

Kalen Braley

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2011, 02:17:49 PM »
The current #7, old #16 as shown in post #4 actually shows two different lines/paths to the hole.

I guess its beyond offensive/ironic that #7 has become arguably the narrowest hole on the course, with seemingly the fewest amount of options off the tee compared to any other par 4 or par 5.

Tom MacWood

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2011, 06:59:50 AM »
Bob
Actually that bunker was still around in 1950. I found an article from 1950 in the Augusta paper where Sarazen was very critical of it.

Kalen
At one time that old 7th had a shared super fairway with the par-4 3rd. Its not shown in the second map but in subsequent maps (and old aerials) the band of rough between the holes is gone.

In July 1937 (OB Keeler) and January 1938 (Bob Harlow & Charles Bartlett) a series of articles explained the changes that were being made by Maxwell.

In the July article Keeler writes that there will be a new tenth green, shoved back and up on the hill. He says the celebrated 5th green, "which hitherto has inspired more convulsive sobs in the 'crying room' because of its originality ridge-pole topography, will be a reasonably spacious carpet, encouraging the bold second shots that are the dream and insignia of the Grade-A golfer." He explains the changes to the 7th (which I posted on the other thread), which was basically cutting of the left hand lobe. He also claims there was a existing bunker behind that green. And then he goes on to talk about the 9th green, which I believe is where RW got his information. He says the green has been re-contoured and bunkering changed to prevent those from playing down the 1st fairway.

The January articles are both very similar. The general theme of both articles: ANGC was originally designed to emulate a British links course (with its bold mounding meant to replicate dunes) but after fours years of competition its clear that was a failed experiment and Maxwell will be converting it into an American course. The changes he has made are a new 10th green and alterations to the greens at #5, #7 and #17. Both article are almost identical in there explanation.

"The abruptness of the dunes contours, which frequently caused well hit approach shorts to kick awry, has been done away with. So also have the peculiar undulations in the ground adjacent to the greens has been reduced, although at no sacrifice to testing a shot.

The greens of the fifth, seventh and seventeenth holes have been rebuilt, and an entirely new tenth green has been cut into the hillside behind and at the left of the original green, on high ground."

There is no mention of any change to the 9th, which may explain why RTJ still showed the boomerang on his map in the late 40s. Both articles mention the principles nose is not going anywhere. Based on this info I'm wondered if Whitten has overstated the changes made by Maxwell. For example it doesn't appear the 7th green was moved.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back