News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David Kelly

Machrihanish, Soon to be Accessible from Northern Ireland
« on: April 01, 2011, 12:51:48 PM »
From the newest issue of Golf Odyssey:

"Machrihanish, long under appreciated by traveling golfers because  of its remote location on Scotland’s Argyll coastline, will become a bit more accessible beginning in late May when the Kintyre Express ferry launches service between Bonnycastle, Northern Ireland and Campbeltown, Scotland. This means  you can easily combine a trip that includes Northern Ireland’s links masterpieces—Royal County Down and Royal Portrush with rounds on Machrihanish, a glorious links that dates back to Old Tom Morris, and Machrihanish Dunes, now in its third year of operation. The crossing takes 90 minutes and will be offered twice a day Friday through Monday from May 27 through September 26. A third crossing will operate when demand warrants. The passage costs £30 per person one way and £55 round trip. Private charters are also available. The Kintyre Express transports its passengers
in a fully cabined, 12-passenger, 36-foot custom-built yacht.

The Kintyre Express also connects golfers to Machrihanish through its original Troon to Campbeltown route. This service is available every Wednesday, Friday, and Sunday from April through September. The 75-minute journey costs £50 per person one way and £80 round trip.  Theoretically, one can now create an itinerary that includes Turnberry, Prestwick, Western Gailes, and Troon on one end, and Royal County Down, Royal Portrush, and Portstewart on the other (with a round on historic Machrihanish in between).Please note that service is on demand only and tickets must be purchased in advance. The ferry may not run if fewer than four passengers have booked passage.
kintyreexpress.com
011-44-1586-555-895"

I've never been on a boat on which I couldn't be seasick so I don't know about this.  The boats pictured on the website look a little dinky.
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

RSLivingston_III

Re: Machrihanish, Soon to be Accessible from Northern Ireland
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2011, 01:32:05 PM »
Considering the day, I was half expecting to read they were creating a land bridge to drive between the two countries.
"You need to start with the hickories as I truly believe it is hard to get inside the mind of the great architects from days gone by if one doesn't have any sense of how the equipment played way back when!"  
       Our Fearless Leader

Richard Phinney

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 11:54:14 AM »
I think that trip would be wonderful really, a blast from the past. Machrihanish is, in its funny way, the least accessible of all the great links courses, partly because the area grew up at a time when ferries meant that Campbeltown was easily accessible from England as well. With the advent of cars (no train travel down there) the town is the most isolated on the UK mainland.   

David_Tepper

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 01:09:31 PM »
http://www.kintyreexpress.com/

Has anyone taken the ride between Troon & Campbeltown?

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2011, 02:22:21 PM »
If the authorities could persuade a proper ferry operator to serve the route (and it's not like they haven't been trying) it would be great. But I am not sure I fancy bouncing around in a RIB for an hour and a half.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2011, 11:45:56 PM »
I thought there used to be a run between the two which was discontinued. I am glad to see it back.

Kris Shreiner

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2011, 01:57:26 AM »
There's a fairly reasonable, 35 minute puddle jumper plane flight from Glasgow to Machrihanish that wasn't bad at all. It's awesome views on a nice day!

Agree with the rest that the tub looks a bit small for those seas. That area can get mighty angry surf in a hurry. Don't think a quick tee-up after a crossing would be very enjoyable in those conditions.
"I said in a talk at the Dunhill Tournament in St. Andrews a few years back that I thought any of the caddies I'd had that week would probably make a good golf course architect. We all want to ask golfers of all abilities to get more out of their games -caddies do that for a living." T.Doak

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back