News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jason Elwell

If I recall correctly entries were being judged this time last year. Are there any plans for one this year? Maybe I completely missed it, but I would be very interested in participating if we were to have one.

Jim Colton

Re: Are we going to have an Armchair Architecture Contest this year?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011, 02:06:27 PM »
I hope not. I'm not I can handle any more disappointment.

Paging Charlie G...

Matt_Davenport

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2011, 04:55:54 PM »
I'll offer to conjure up a Pennsylvania site for a Public golf course that would please Matt Ward's sensibilities (pardon the oxymoron). Maybe we could offer to create a new golf course for the Fairmount Park Commission?

David Harshbarger

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2011, 06:10:56 PM »
I'd gladly offer up a NY site, also.  The census results were pretty dreary for most of upstate (Buffalo down 10%!) but the Albany area grew, and Saratoga county has a few of the towns showing double digit growth in the last ten years.  There are some interesting sites in Mechanicsville/Halfmoon, and two recent (last 10-12 years) clubs built in that area were done, as best I can gather, without professional architects.  (Saratoga National is another story).

The trouble with modern equipment and distance—and I don't see anyone pointing this out—is that it robs from the player's experience. - Mickey Wright

Jason Elwell

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011, 01:23:29 PM »
Is this really all the interest there is in having a contest this year? We had 15 or so entries last year. I know it's a lot of work, but I think it's one of the best ways to learn more about architecture. Does anyone remember the threads last year where Tom graciously provided insight into a design? I learned more about the design process from that thread than any other I've seen on this board.

michael damico

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2011, 11:27:13 PM »
I don't know if it's a ridiculous idea or not, but what about extending the parameters to a possible 3 hole REdesign with complimentary costs analysis? I think this would be more in the direction both the ASGCA (which Adam Lawrence touches base on in the new By Design issue - issues playing against growing the game) and the industry's standing today
"without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible"
                                                                -fz

Jason Elwell

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2011, 01:48:45 PM »
A 3 hole redesign sounds like a good idea to me. Maybe on a famous existing course?

Or even just a 3 hole design, since designing a full 18 holes may require more time than most would be able to spend on the project. A 3 hole design for a private owner, intended only for family use, that has superb playability and affordable maintainability. Seems like it could be a fun project.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back